Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VGS scheduled for February - pain questions

Both of my sisters have had VGS surgery and both (1 year and 3 years out) have had amazing, life transforming results. My youngest sister however, had horrible pain coming out of surgery due to the gas used to fill the abdominal cavity. I know getting up and moving around is helpful, but does anyone know if surgeons release any of that gas once the surgery is complete? Just curious - and so excited for surgery!

I had no gas, and no pain after surgery. I assume they just let it out before gluing me up

No gas here eithor that is old school -

Walk as much as you can and fart away....

My after surgery pain centered in my right shoulder joint. Besides what Superman said, I found some relief with a heating pad on my shoulder in the evenings. The pain was gone in about 48 hours.

Surgery pain...no, gas pain, yes! For about 3days. I would go to Walmart and Home Depot, etc., walk down every isle looking at stuff to help get rid of the gas pain. Doing great now! Weight is just falling off!

On 1/10/2020 at 11:16 AM, AJ Tylo said:

No gas here eithor that is old school -

What did your surgeon use to inflate your abdomen during lap sx? I was under the impression that gas was always used to create a space for the sx to be completed...

I didn’t have much gas pain after my sleeve but definitely earlier last year when I had my appendix removed. Walking really helped, like a lot! I walked around the unit maybe 10 times in hrs 12-24 after surgery. And yes they release the gas but some does get trapped and some use heated and humidified gas as it helps to prevent the cellular death that causes the referred shoulder pain. If you’re worried about it, ask your doctor to go over step by step what will happen in your surgery including gas use.

On 1/10/2020 at 2:40 PM, Superman84 said:

Walk as much as you can and fart away....

That gas is in the plumbing the surgical gas is outside. But walking helps.