Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Difficulty eating



Recommended Posts

I will be 5 weeks post-op tomorrow, and I am supposed to be adding a greater variety of foods to my diet, and eventually, increasing my calories. I am finding that it is becoming more and more difficult to eat. I eat either yogurt or cottage cheese for Breakfast (1.5 ounces), and then something either mid afternoon or very early evening - again, 1.5 ounces. If I take even one additional bite, I have 2-3 hours of nausea. I do have my Protein Drinks, but I don't think I'm getting more than about 500 calories a day. My weight has also been stalled for two weeks. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions will be gratefully received. Thanks so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am 6 weeks post op and experiencing the same thing. I saw my dr a few days ago and was told that as long as I get my Protein and fluids in, I am doing fine.
they said that some people take a little longer for the swelling to go down so there is no concern at this point.

you most likely are experiencing the dreaded 3 week stall. Stick to your program and it will break.

hang in there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Taja said:

I will be 5 weeks post-op tomorrow, and I am supposed to be adding a greater variety of foods to my diet, and eventually, increasing my calories. I am finding that it is becoming more and more difficult to eat. I eat either yogurt or cottage cheese for Breakfast (1.5 ounces), and then something either mid afternoon or very early evening - again, 1.5 ounces. If I take even one additional bite, I have 2-3 hours of nausea. I do have my Protein Drinks, but I don't think I'm getting more than about 500 calories a day. My weight has also been stalled for two weeks. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions will be gratefully received. Thanks so much.

I'd run this by your clinic. If you're nauseated every time you eat, you could be developing a stricture. You're in the right time frame for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

I'd run this by your clinic. If you're nauseated every time you eat, you could be developing a stricture. You're in the right time frame for it.

Good point. Pretty sure she said she gets nauseated if she takes even one additional bite though. It is the same for me if I eat even a smidgeon over what I can hold. Totally normal stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much for your thoughts. It is reassuring to know that it happens to others, as well. I keep forgetting about the leftover swelling from the surgery; that's a good point.

The three-week stall - yikes! I'll be glad when that part is behind me!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m having same stall same timeframe. I don’t really want anything besides my shakes. I feel like it’s a chore to try some “soft” options but I do it anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JTSC - Are you finding that it is almost physically impossible to eat at times?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really physically impossible. Just don’t feel like it or if I do I feel an uncOmfortable feeling and have to lay down. I’ve thrown up several times because of it. I think it’s because I’m not chewing enough, eating too fast, or the specific food. It kind of varies. I can eat a little chicken one day and then feel sick the next.

So mine is really an after effect If you can’t physically eat that might be something else than my experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Losingit2018 said:

Good point. Pretty sure she said she gets nauseated if she takes even one additional bite though. It is the same for me if I eat even a smidgeon over what I can hold. Totally normal stuff.

thanks - I missed that part of it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure about the nausea, but the Week 3 and Week 4 stall is VERY common. 500 calories/day is fine. You can live on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you - everyone's responses help a lot. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It’s week 5 for me, and I’m having the same problems: can eat very little one day, feel slightly nauseated, but it subsides. Then some days feel great, but still eat vey little. I find it difficult to drink Water it makes my stomach feel empty, only Protein Shakes, yogurt, smooth cool foods are soothing to eat. I find very little delight in eating, even when it’s food I enjoy. I can stomach soups: pea, lentil, chicken, but no more than 4oz at a time. It’s a struggle.

Edited by tallen1158

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×