Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss is going very slow.

On 12/21/2019 at 7:24 AM, jinnjuice527 said:

Hi everyone! I'm new here. I had gastric sleeve surgery on 12/2 so tomorrow I am 3 weeks out. I have actually lost the most weight on the week long pre OP diet the surgery had me on and since surgery ive lost 9 lbs. I have at least 120 lbs to lose so not sure why its going so slow considering I am only taking in about 600 calories a day. We all hear about starvation mode but I'm not sure if that's a myth plus were able to eat so little now our bodies have to catch up I think. I'm a bit frustrated as it seems like I'm not losing as quick how ever I'm down 21 lbs in just under 4 weeks which is way more than ive lost in ages. Has anyone else had slow weight loss even in the beginning?? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G973U using BariatricPal mobile app

Im the same. Mine is super slow at times and then randomly got a bit faster when I added some carbs. But then I think i added too many and so I'm trying to find a happy place with it. I experiment. But I lost slowly too. Youre not alone. Hang in there and drink LOTS OF Water. I can be "perfect on cals and protein" but if I dont get in at least 80 oz of water I notice my weightloss slows. I have noticed that more often than not when I ask people who lose weight quickly (not including men bec they lose weight faster) the one thing they ALL have in common was drinking more than 64 oz water and Protein 90 or above - their cals varied widely.

On 12/23/2019 at 8:09 AM, RobertaMSN said:

You and I have the same surgery date, 12/2! And I've lost about the same since surgery - it turns out there's a standard three-week stall. Check out the discussions under POST-operative weight loss surgery Q & A - they have been super helpful to me. I'm now stalled after three weeks having lost 12 lbs since surgery but only 2 lbs this past week, and 8 lbs two weeks prior.

In a couple articles I read online it says the liver was shrunk for surgery but works to get back to a normal size afterward and it takes - yep - three weeks. Sometimes this stall can last several weeks but afterward there can be a sudden, large loss. Apparently there will be multiple stalls along the way.

The articles also said not to go below 600 calories a day as that can backfire as the body tries to store what it can during what it perceives as starvation time. I know many don't believe in starvation mode and I'm not sure it isn't just a myth. But to stay healthy it makes sense that at least 600 good quality calories a day is a good idea no matter the reason.

Also, the weight loss rate depends on several factors. Males lose faster, those who are much bigger initially lose faster, women after menopause slower (that's me), etc. I'm reminding myself that prior to surgery it took me six months to lose 11 lbs. on my own...and my pre-diabetes and non-alcoholic liver disease labs and my borderline high blood pressure had not improved at all, though my cholesterol levels did. Post-surgery all are now in the normal range! No diabetes looming for me (like my mother), thank goodness.

Here's wishing us both good luck during the dreaded three-week stall. We'll get there! I'm greatly encouraged by some of the posts about the three-week stall under the Post-op Q & A where the stats show those posting lost all or most of there weight and reached their goals despite having stalls and slow weight loss overall.

This is such a great response. Thank you. It helps me too.

On 12/21/2019 at 10:37 AM, jinnjuice527 said:

Thanks! I totally get that and tomorrow is only 3 weeks out. I was thinking I probably confused my body with such a drastic change and it needs to think on what is happening

You have to remember that you didn't gain it all in a few months you won't lose it all either. The first 4 months are the "honeymoon" period and you will experience your easiest weight loss then. People who start at a higher weight seem to lose it quicker. You will get there. I still struggle to get 500 calories now. Most of mine are trying to get my Protein in daily. I also record everything I eat. Good luck on your journey. It will happen.

On 12/21/2019 at 10:24 AM, jinnjuice527 said:
On 12/21/2019 at 10:24 AM, jinnjuice527 said:

Hi,

this is also my first time on here. I had my surgery on 12/3. My weight loss is also going very slow, and I lost more on the preop diet as well. I am so frustrated. I have been taking as much Protein as I can, as well as Water. Like you, I am also only getting around 600 calories a day and sometimes not even that. I even started swimming for about an hour a day 3/4 times per week. I know I have no help here, but I just wanted you to know that you are not alone. I am sure hoping this will pass.

Edited by Davis1016

10 hours ago, Serengirl said:

This is such a great response. Thank you. It helps me too.

I agree this is also helpful to me. I am in the same boat and feeling very frustrated myself.

Hi everyone! I'm new here. I had gastric sleeve surgery on 12/2 so tomorrow I am 3 weeks out. I have actually lost the most weight on the week long pre OP diet the surgery had me on and since surgery ive lost 9 lbs. I have at least 120 lbs to lose so not sure why its going so slow considering I am only taking in about 600 calories a day. We all hear about starvation mode but I'm not sure if that's a myth plus were able to eat so little now our bodies have to catch up I think. I'm a bit frustrated as it seems like I'm not losing as quick how ever I'm down 21 lbs in just under 4 weeks which is way more than ive lost in ages. Has anyone else had slow weight loss even in the beginning?? Thanks!

I had surgery on the 13th with massive complications I almost died ... i havent lost a single pound

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

What happened ?

I had the exact same thing happen. I made myself eat more — hitting 700-800 calories and hit 10g over my Protein goal every day for a few days, and weight started coming right back off.

I had the exact same thing happen. I made myself eat more — hitting 700-800 calories and hit 10g over my Protein goal every day for a few days, and weight started coming right back off.
I upped calories and Protein and I lost 5 lbs in the last 10 days. When i was eating 500 to 600... losing less. 700 to 850ish coming off easier. I dont believe necessarily in starvation mode but I'm eating pretty much low carb so I think that's helping as well even with a bit more calories

Hello im a newby had sleeve surgery 12/2 down 25lbs. This past week i loss nothing. However, im still motivated and staying the course. Everyone is uniquely made and experience things differently. Just wanted to encourage anyone who is in these forums looking for information. Thank you all for sharing and being an inspiration to all. Happy New Year!

How is everyone doing today on this thread? I’m finding myself super frustrated because in the last five weeks I have averaged working out 6 times a week for at least and hour and I average around 650 -700 cals a day and my weight loss has gotten so slow!!!! Has anyone else had to up their calories once they started working out? Btw I work out HARD- weight lifting and I do HIIT cardio with my heart rate usually in the high 160s. I’m thinking I should raise my calories but it’s such a mind game!

On 12/21/2019 at 1:42 PM, vgs08282019 said:

sleep (rest), Water, Vitamins, nutrition (getting the best you can get), minimizing stress, these are the things that will make the biggest change for you. Keep staying the course and remember just because the scale isn't going down doesn't mean there aren't major changes happening in your body. Stay the course. I'm a PCOS patient too, so keep those carbs really low and what carbs you do get make sure they are higher Fiber, low carb options. Limit fruit to very little if not eliminating it altogether for now.

I echo one of your previous responders on following your surgeon's plan. One thing my doctor had to remind me of is that I am no longer a normal eater. My new stomach requires me to eat 3 meals and 2 Snacks a day; otherwise, you will never get your proper nutrition in. Focus on clean eating, and getting your Protein and good fats. You will find that the scale will continue to decrease.

I am at 3 months now, and losing just shy of 2 lbs a week (on average--some weeks the scale reflects nothing, then by the end of the month, it balances out to almost 2 lbs a week). Considering we have PCOS, that is some AWESOME success. Remember insulin resistance requires us to keep our carbs low. Just keep in mind that with every effort, you are gaining control of that runaway train that couldn't be controlled by anything else other than weight loss that used to be virtually impossible. With every pound lost, you are closer and closer to your body working more typically with PCOS being further and further in the rearview mirror! I can't wait to tell that b*tch GOODBYE forever! I am sure you feel the same way.

Feel free to connect with me, so we can support each other. I wish you the best!

I started a Thread called the Slow Losers Club for anyone who feel slick they need support or advice.

On 12/30/2019 at 4:27 PM, jinnjuice527 said:

I upped calories and Protein and I lost 5 lbs in the last 10 days. When i was eating 500 to 600... losing less. 700 to 850ish coming off easier. I dont believe necessarily in starvation mode but I'm eating pretty much low carb so I think that's helping as well even with a bit more calories

Perhaps I'll try this. I started a thread called the Slow Losers Club where we can all chat and get advice or encouragement....