Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss is going very slow.

Hi everyone! I'm new here. I had gastric sleeve surgery on 12/2 so tomorrow I am 3 weeks out. I have actually lost the most weight on the week long pre OP diet the surgery had me on and since surgery ive lost 9 lbs. I have at least 120 lbs to lose so not sure why its going so slow considering I am only taking in about 600 calories a day. We all hear about starvation mode but I'm not sure if that's a myth plus were able to eat so little now our bodies have to catch up I think. I'm a bit frustrated as it seems like I'm not losing as quick how ever I'm down 21 lbs in just under 4 weeks which is way more than ive lost in ages. Has anyone else had slow weight loss even in the beginning?? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G973U using BariatricPal mobile app

You body is still recovering and adjusting to the new You! Stay on course and all of a sudden it will just be like magic pounds falling off - Your body has gone thru a beating it will take time to get it on the correct path this time. Stay on the program and it will work.

Welcome to the Journey enjoy it

AJ

You body is still recovering and adjusting to the new You! Stay on course and all of a sudden it will just be like magic pounds falling off - Your body has gone thru a beating it will take time to get it on the correct path this time. Stay on the program and it will work.
Welcome to the Journey enjoy it
AJ

Thanks! I totally get that and tomorrow is only 3 weeks out. I was thinking I probably confused my body with such a drastic change and it needs to think on what is happening [emoji2]

I lost 16 lbs the first MONTH and I started off at over 300 lbs. Your body's going to lose at the rate it loses depending on a whole host of factors, most of which you have no control over (e.g. age, gender, metabolic rate, starting BMI). All you can really control is whether not you stick to your surgeon's plan. If you stick to it, the weight WILL come off, whether fast or slow. I was a slow loser from the get-go, but I was very committed to my plan, hardly ever strayed from it, and ended up losing 100% of my excess weight.

and yes - there are many who believe "starvation mode" is a myth.

I lost 16 lbs the first MONTH and I started off at over 300 lbs. Your body's going to lose at the rate it loses depending on a whole host of factors, most of which you have no control over (e.g. age, gender, metabolic rate, starting BMI). All you can really control is whether not you stick to your surgeon's plan. If you stick to it, the weight WILL come off, whether fast or slow. I was a slow loser from the get-go, but I was very committed to my plan, hardly ever strayed from it, and ended up losing 100% of my excess weight.
and yes - there are many who believe "starvation mode" is a myth.

You're right. I'm a woman, I have pcos, I'm almost 40, etc. Any loss is a loss for me and I know I cant compare myself to others. I'm started right at 300 lbs and I'm 279 as of this morning. I can't really complain has this has been only 4 weeks tomorrow counting the week of my preop diet. My nurse practitioner examined me last week and said my stomach still has some swelling as well from the surgery so I'm sure there are a number of factors at this point. I'm staying the course... thanks!!

21 lbs is fantastic at 1 month ! I was sleeved 12/04 and have lost 18.0 lbs in the 16 days since. :) My surgery weight was 303 now 285.

Edited by Billy Bob

You're doing great. Don't forget that the weight you lost before surgery (for those who had a pre-op diet requirement) is still lost weight. The sleeve doesn't change the way you lose weight, it just makes the process easier to cope with.

3500 calories are basically one lb. Your body at todays weight burns about 2600 calories per day (at sedentary). If you are consuming 600+/- than you have an excess burn of aprox 2000 calories, which is about .67 of a lb per day, which seems to be right at your current weight loss number. Also don't forget that the amount of Water you are supposed to be consuming (post surgery) is very heavy, and that hydration can fluctuate your weight by a few lbs.

You can't really change that for the better, because if you take in too few calories, you will go into starvation mode, which will halt your progress.

Keep up the good work. You are right on track.

You are doing well. Weight loss isn’t always (or even generally) linear. Expect a stall at about 3 weeks out, just keep your chin up and know that it will pass. Your body sometimes needs a break from losing weight, to adjust itself. Those stalls are normal, though they can be frustrating. After the first few months, they can happen more frequently and last longer. Again, just know that it will pass.

My last stall out lasted over a month, and I just lost 5 lbs in a week, and have not made any changes to my diet or exercise. It’s bizarre, and sometimes feels like I’m just along for the ride. Your body will lose at whatever rate it can deal with. But, know that as long as you stick to plan (mostly), you WILL lose it.

sleep (rest), Water, Vitamins, nutrition (getting the best you can get), minimizing stress, these are the things that will make the biggest change for you. Keep staying the course and remember just because the scale isn't going down doesn't mean there aren't major changes happening in your body. Stay the course. I'm a PCOS patient too, so keep those carbs really low and what carbs you do get make sure they are higher Fiber, low carb options. Limit fruit to very little if not eliminating it altogether for now.

I echo one of your previous responders on following your surgeon's plan. One thing my doctor had to remind me of is that I am no longer a normal eater. My new stomach requires me to eat 3 meals and 2 Snacks a day; otherwise, you will never get your proper nutrition in. Focus on clean eating, and getting your Protein and good fats. You will find that the scale will continue to decrease.

I am at 3 months now, and losing just shy of 2 lbs a week (on average--some weeks the scale reflects nothing, then by the end of the month, it balances out to almost 2 lbs a week). Considering we have PCOS, that is some AWESOME success. Remember insulin resistance requires us to keep our carbs low. Just keep in mind that with every effort, you are gaining control of that runaway train that couldn't be controlled by anything else other than weight loss that used to be virtually impossible. With every pound lost, you are closer and closer to your body working more typically with PCOS being further and further in the rearview mirror! I can't wait to tell that b*tch GOODBYE forever! I am sure you feel the same way.

Feel free to connect with me, so we can support each other. I wish you the best!

5 hours ago, Fatboyslim1 said:

You're doing great. Don't forget that the weight you lost before surgery (for those who had a pre-op diet requirement) is still lost weight. The sleeve doesn't change the way you lose weight, it just makes the process easier to cope with.

3500 calories are basically one lb. Your body at todays weight burns about 2600 calories per day (at sedentary). If you are consuming 600+/- than you have an excess burn of aprox 2000 calories, which is about .67 of a lb per day, which seems to be right at your current weight loss number. Also don't forget that the amount of Water you are supposed to be consuming (post surgery) is very heavy, and that hydration can fluctuate your weight by a few lbs.

You can't really change that for the better, because if you take in too few calories, you will go into starvation mode, which will halt your progress.

Keep up the good work. You are right on track.

3500 calories are basically one lb. Your body at todays weight burns about 2600 calories per day (at sedentary). If you are consuming 600+/- than you have an excess burn of aprox 2000 calories, which is about .67 of a lb per day, Awsome info ! Thanks , Is there an app or calculator for this ? How many would I burn sedentary at 285. Again thanks for posting this . :)

You’re not alone. I was sleeved on 12/5 and have lost 14lbs since surgery. It seems like I’ve hit a stall the last 4 days as the scale hasn’t moved. I’m gonna keep trusting the process and following my doctors plan.

sleep (rest), Water, Vitamins, nutrition (getting the best you can get), minimizing stress, these are the things that will make the biggest change for you. Keep staying the course and remember just because the scale isn't going down doesn't mean there aren't major changes happening in your body. Stay the course. I'm a PCOS patient too, so keep those carbs really low and what carbs you do get make sure they are higher Fiber, low carb options. Limit fruit to very little if not eliminating it altogether for now.
I echo one of your previous responders on following your surgeon's plan. One thing my doctor had to remind me of is that I am no longer a normal eater. My new stomach requires me to eat 3 meals and 2 Snacks a day; otherwise, you will never get your proper nutrition in. Focus on clean eating, and getting your Protein and good fats. You will find that the scale will continue to decrease.
I am at 3 months now, and losing just shy of 2 lbs a week (on average--some weeks the scale reflects nothing, then by the end of the month, it balances out to almost 2 lbs a week). Considering we have PCOS, that is some AWESOME success. Remember insulin resistance requires us to keep our carbs low. Just keep in mind that with every effort, you are gaining control of that runaway train that couldn't be controlled by anything else other than weight loss that used to be virtually impossible. With every pound lost, you are closer and closer to your body working more typically with PCOS being further and further in the rearview mirror! I can't wait to tell that b*tch GOODBYE forever! I am sure you feel the same way.
Feel free to connect with me, so we can support each other. I wish you the best!
Yes let's support each other!!! [emoji2]

You’re not alone. I was sleeved on 12/5 and have lost 14lbs since surgery. It seems like I’ve hit a stall the last 4 days as the scale hasn’t moved. I’m gonna keep trusting the process and following my doctors plan.
Keep trusting it..my scale finally moved 2 full lbs over the last few days. I am down 22 lbs since my pre op 11/25.

Hi everyone! I'm new here. I had gastric sleeve surgery on 12/2 so tomorrow I am 3 weeks out. I have actually lost the most weight on the week long pre OP diet the surgery had me on and since surgery ive lost 9 lbs. I have at least 120 lbs to lose so not sure why its going so slow considering I am only taking in about 600 calories a day. We all hear about starvation mode but I'm not sure if that's a myth plus were able to eat so little now our bodies have to catch up I think. I'm a bit frustrated as it seems like I'm not losing as quick how ever I'm down 21 lbs in just under 4 weeks which is way more than ive lost in ages. Has anyone else had slow weight loss even in the beginning?? Thanks!

Sleeved 11/11 and only 20lbs down slow and steady wins the race is what they tell me.everyone looses at different rates just stick to your plan and the weight will come off

Sent from my SM-J260A using BariatricPal mobile app

You and I have the same surgery date, 12/2! And I've lost about the same since surgery - it turns out there's a standard three-week stall. Check out the discussions under POST-operative weight loss surgery Q & A - they have been super helpful to me. I'm now stalled after three weeks having lost 12 lbs since surgery but only 2 lbs this past week, and 8 lbs two weeks prior.

In a couple articles I read online it says the liver was shrunk for surgery but works to get back to a normal size afterward and it takes - yep - three weeks. Sometimes this stall can last several weeks but afterward there can be a sudden, large loss. Apparently there will be multiple stalls along the way.

The articles also said not to go below 600 calories a day as that can backfire as the body tries to store what it can during what it perceives as starvation time. I know many don't believe in starvation mode and I'm not sure it isn't just a myth. But to stay healthy it makes sense that at least 600 good quality calories a day is a good idea no matter the reason.

Also, the weight loss rate depends on several factors. Males lose faster, those who are much bigger initially lose faster, women after menopause slower (that's me), etc. I'm reminding myself that prior to surgery it took me six months to lose 11 lbs. on my own...and my pre-diabetes and non-alcoholic liver disease labs and my borderline high blood pressure had not improved at all, though my cholesterol levels did. Post-surgery all are now in the normal range! No diabetes looming for me (like my mother), thank goodness.

Here's wishing us both good luck during the dreaded three-week stall. We'll get there! I'm greatly encouraged by some of the posts about the three-week stall under the Post-op Q & A where the stats show those posting lost all or most of there weight and reached their goals despite having stalls and slow weight loss overall.

Edited by RobertaMSN