Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January 2020 Surgery Date

Had VSG on Jan 6 at NYU Tisch. Best decision of my life. Things I wish I had known before surgery...abdominal binder will help tremendously with bloating and swelling, as well as making it not so painful to cough or sneeze. Child’s sippy cup is the best way to sip slowly and completely eliminated the reflux I was feeling from every sip of Water or Protein Shake. Apparently those cups are designed to reduced the amount of air taken in, and doesn’t allow too much Fluid, but you really do need to sip constantly and stay hydrated. Walk walk walk beginning the day of surgery. You won’t feel like getting up to walk but once you do it, you feel great. GasX will help tremendously so get it in advance. I take 2 or 3 per day and it really does provide relief. If you have trouble sleeping-take your own pillow to the hospital because all hospitals have cheap pillows that flatten and I couldn’t get comfortable. Good luck!! The first week is the toughest but if you’re prepared, it will be so much easier.

I am having VSG with Dr de la Torre on Jan 16. I just started my 1 week liquid diet. I found this at Walmart and they are delicious, but won't be able to have them after surgery for a while because they contain caffeine.
Cafe Latte
Hi! They look yummy!! Thanks for sharing!! Good luck on your VSG! Look forward to hearing all about your progress!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hey January pending surgery people for this week, are you guys ready?

8 hours ago, Taj said:

Had VSG on Jan 6 at NYU Tisch. Best decision of my life. Things I wish I had known before surgery...abdominal binder will help tremendously with bloating and swelling, as well as making it not so painful to cough or sneeze. Child’s sippy cup is the best way to sip slowly and completely eliminated the reflux I was feeling from every sip of Water or Protein Shake. Apparently those cups are designed to reduced the amount of air taken in, and doesn’t allow too much Fluid, but you really do need to sip constantly and stay hydrated. Walk walk walk beginning the day of surgery. You won’t feel like getting up to walk but once you do it, you feel great. GasX will help tremendously so get it in advance. I take 2 or 3 per day and it really does provide relief. If you have trouble sleeping-take your own pillow to the hospital because all hospitals have cheap pillows that flatten and I couldn’t get comfortable. Good luck!! The first week is the toughest but if you’re prepared, it will be so much easier.

Thank you for the suggestions! I just ordered the ab binder and sippy cups on Amazon. My surgery is Tuesday next week and I'm starting to get really nervous.

On 1/9/2020 at 3:46 PM, TattooedSeaStar said:

As I was typing that, I got an email that my surgery was scheduled for 7:30am on 1/27. Cool.

How long is your minimum hospital stay? I believe its a 1 night stay, without complications. I read yesterday that someone at my same hospital were released the same day? I'm totally confused, a major surgery and released the same day???

Thank you for the suggestions! I just ordered the ab binder and sippy cups on Amazon. My surgery is Tuesday next week and I'm starting to get really nervous.
You may get lucky with the binder, I woke up from surgery with one on and got to take it home. I do wish I had a second to wear while I wash this one though so you're more prepared than I was! Best of luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327AZ using BariatricPal mobile app

2 hours ago, Krimsonbutterflies said:

I am ready. On day five of 1 week liquid diet and I have lost 12 lbs since starting it (I probably lost a couple of pounds sweating the Chiefs win yesterday) . Lots of ups and downs for energy, but hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be. Two more days left. My surgery is at 7:30 am on Thursday and I have to be there at 5:30 am. Been getting up early and going to bed early so I can be well rested.

Edited by Uomograsso

On 01/13/2020 at 11:01, Krimsonbutterflies said:

My surgery is Thursday! Tomorrow is my last day or pre-op diet and I’ve lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks. Wednesday is all liquid for me. Still not sure what time my surgery is Thursday, but I will find out the day before. I’m so ready, nervous, excited, scared, hopeful!

9 minutes ago, jeslpayn said:

My surgery is Thursday! Tomorrow is my last day or pre-op diet and I’ve lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks. Wednesday is all liquid for me. Still not sure what time my surgery is Thursday, but I will find out the day before. I’m so ready, nervous, excited, scared, hopeful!

Good luck on Thursday! You will do great!

On 01/13/2020 at 18:01, Krimsonbutterflies said:

As ready as I’ll ever be!!! I’ve to be in the hospital 9 hours from now. Good luck to others going in tomorrow, I know there are a few more in this thread.

Good luck to all the January bunch who have surgery this week! I can't wait to hear how everyone is doing. ❤️

My surgery is still 2 weeks away, so I started my pre-op diet today which is much, much milder than most of the pre-op diets I've read about on here. My diet includes small, healthy, high Protein, low fat meals, no high- sugar fruits, refined carbs, sodas, etc., then fasting after 8pm the day before surgery. It's interesting how doctors have so many different guidelines!

Congrats Jeslpayn on losing 10 lbs in 2 weeks! 😊

11 minutes ago, rene50 said:

Good luck to all the January bunch who have surgery this week! I can't wait to hear how everyone is doing. ❤️

My surgery is still 2 weeks away, so I started my pre-op diet today which is much, much milder than most of the pre-op diets I've read about on here. My diet includes small, healthy, high Protein, low fat meals, no high- sugar fruits, refined carbs, sodas, etc., then fasting after 8pm the day before surgery. It's interesting how doctors have so many different guidelines!

Congrats Jeslpayn on losing 10 lbs in 2 weeks! 😊

Did you have your last appointment with the surgeon already? If so, what did it intel? I'm getting anxious and I'm ready to get this party started. As a reward following my appointment Friday, I'm going to the movies to keep my anxiety occupied/distracted. Then I'm going to come home and pack my hospital bag.

On 12/27/2019 at 8:38 PM, Krimsonbutterflies said:

What is HPMR? I'm so excited for you? Are you isolating yourself to stay focused or are you still able to stay socially active and on task?

High Protein Meal Replacement, a liquid meal prescribed for pre-op diets. Surgeon said specifically that it wasn't for post op, too

Sleeve surgery a week from today (20 Jan). Been on pre-op liquid diet since 8 Jan. Not as bad as I anticipated.

My big complaint is that I have to be at the hospital at 0530. Wish I could sleep a bit longer.

I had to be there for my ESD at 0530 as well. Of course, nothing happened till 0800. Just like the Army, Hurry Up and Wait.

Edited by Duke483

I've had no appointments with my surgeon, just phone calls and emails with his coordinator. My surgery will be in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico because my insurance would not approve surgery. I'm heavy enough to have the surgery with health issues, but not heavy enough to have it without medical problems. Thank the Lord, I am a healthy fat lady.

I pray I'm not messing up! I know multiple people who have had surgery in Tijuana with great success and no complications. I scheduled my surgery during a family trip to Puerto Vallarta. One family member is a doctor and will be at the resort, so that makes me feel a bit more secure. The surgeon I am using is very good. Patients must return to the hospital before flying home for the surgeon to do one last check. That is different than my friends who had surgery in Tijuana. The minimum stay for my surgery is 5 days, could be 1-2 days in the hospital, then rest at the resort, and one final visit to the hospital.

Frankly, I would be so much more comfortable if I was having surgery locally, but that was not possible.