Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone experience post op rise in Bilirubin/Vitamin B12 levels post op?

Just curious if anyone has had a significant rise in their Total Bilirubin and Vitamin B12 levels post op. My Bili is always on the high end of normal, or BARELY above normal. I was once told that I might have some sort of benign liver disease (I was 19 at the time - I am now 47), but no other doc was ever concerned as the rest of my liver function tests are usually normal. And while the only time I have ever had (knowingly) a Vitamin B12 level was pre-op... it WAS normal. When I got home from the hospital, I noticed online that my Bilirubin was much higher than my normal while I was in the hospital. I just assumed that it was due to injury/irritation of liver or gallbladder during surgery and hoped it would come down by my next set of post-op labs. Well, I was supposed to do my 3 month labs 2 weeks prior to my 3 month appointment. Because I was going back to work, I decided to get it done 2 weeks earlier. They are posted on my physician portal and they have me a little alarmed. Most are OK, with a few out of the ordinaries. But my Total Bilirubin is 1.9 which is a little HIGHER than it was in the hospital, but also my Vitamin B12 level is greater than 2000. Of course, you look these up online and the possibilities of what is causing this is pretty scary... so I don't want to jump to those conclusions. But I can't find enough research regarding this phenomenon with WLS. I had the sleeve. I know my liver was fatty according to my surgical notes. I know I am losing weight rapidly so that can cause issues. But, has anyone else go through this? If so, what was the cause? And did it resolve on its own? Or did it resolve at all? Kind of anxious, but my appoint with the doc isn't until December. Struggling with deciding if I should wait and see if the doc calls me when he sees the results, making an appointment for sooner, or just waiting until the next appointment. Worried, but also know I was fine before surgery, so maybe I am still just recovering? Or maybe it is my gallbladder acting up without too many symptoms yet... or maybe it IS a liver disease. Not ready to think Cancer yet, but don't want to "wait and see" too long either. Ugh. Anyhow... I doubt the doc has seen my results yet.

I can't speak to the bilirubin issue, but I've had my B12 over 2000. The PA at my surgeon's office just shrugged it off and suggested I just cut my dosage a bit. I don't think they worry too much about high B12 levels. Mine usually hovers around 1000-1200 these days. I know people from another forum start feeling crappy when theirs drops below 800 or so, even though that's technically high normal. At any rate, I've never read about anyone on these forums having any bad effects from high B12 values. But call your surgeon - he/she may suggest you cut your dosage - not that the level you're taking is necessarily bad for you, but it may be more than what your body needs.

btw - weird liver-related numbers aren't unusual when you're in the losing phase. Although I haven't read about bilirubin specifically, a lot of people have high AST/ALT values for a few months after surgery. Rapid weight loss is really hard on livers, I was told. Those values usually normalize after the weight loss really slows down - or stops. As I said, I don't know if I've heard of high bilirubin numbers associated with that, but that's a possibility. I'd just call your doctor if you're concerned.

Mine is currently high on B12. 2458, reference area is around 500 I think.
The doctor is not concerned. I had a B12 shot + I take ekstra Vitamin B.

Thanks for sharing! The only Vitamin B12 I am taking is in my bariatric multivitamin... which lately I keep forgetting to take! I wasn't too concerned until I looked up high bilirubin with high vitamin b12... and together they indicate possible cancer and so of course it is a bit concerning. Of course, Cancer isn't the only cause... but just scary possibility. If others have a high b12 after surgery, I am less concerned though will continue monitoring and talk to the doc when I see him. I think I will keep my Dec appointment unless he calls me in because of labs... and then I will drop off a copy of my labs at my PCP office and SHE will probably call me and we can talk. I thought this might all be surgery/rapid weight loss related, but the web search had me worried. B12 is Water soluble, so normally you just pee the extra out. Trying to up my fluids to see if it will help.