Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op ladies who wear nail polish

Hi. So, I had my bypass 6.5 months ago, and my nails are in terrible shape. Peeling and splitting. I like to wear nail polish, but it just doesn't stay. A day or two after polishing them the polish starts chipping and flaking off! Any suggestions for improving my manicure? I just started taking Biotin for my nails, and Hair loss, but I'm sure it takes months to see improvement. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

1 hour ago, Briswife15 said:

Hi. So, I had my bypass 6.5 months ago, and my nails are in terrible shape. Peeling and splitting. I like to wear nail polish, but it just doesn't stay. A day or two after polishing them the polish starts chipping and flaking off! Any suggestions for improving my manicure? I just started taking Biotin for my nails, and Hair loss, but I'm sure it takes months to see improvement. Thanks!

I’m still having issues with my nails. I’m using Essie treat love color and nail polish strengthener. I’m taking Biotin with collagen.

I’m not post op, but I would suggest trying gel nail polish. You can either get it done in a salon or invest in an LED light and gel polish. It won’t chip off and may actually help with your breakage.

If you do it yourself, you will need to watch some YouTube videos to see how to apply and remove.

Also, check out Revel nail dip polish. Similar concept to gel, but you dip your nails in the pigment powder and have to file between coats. It’s a bit more time consuming but lasts just as long with no need for a curing light.

I've been very lucky. My nails have always been strong and grow fast. BUT, regular polish usually chips for me within a day or 2. Mani's/Pedi's are my ongoing non-food treat to myself.

I've done gel nails for the last couple years. I like to have them re-done every 2 or 3 weeks, not because they chipped or dulled, but because my nails grow so fast! Gel nails are a bit of a process. They require UV lite to "cure" and the removal is a little harsh (filing, soaking in acetone, scraping off, buffing). If I feel like the process of removal and buffing is making my nails weak, I'll just have the manicurist leave them natural for about a month or so. I don't mind as long as I don't have any special events. I have to keep them short during this time, but no biggie. Short nails are easier to type with and my work is 100% on the computer.

I've also done the powder dip. It's even stronger than the gel. Application doesn't require the UV light, but the removal is about the same. I don't really care for the powder dip because it seems too artificially thick for my preference, but I know a lot of colleagues who swear by it. *If you're looking for something tough and durable, powder dip is your best bet.

Edited by S@ssen@ch

I’m just over 6 months out and gel nails work way better for me. I have them re-done every 2-3 weeks as well. I keep them relatively short because if I don’t, they start to break and chip.

Thanks, ladies!! If I try gel nails, and mine are already paper thin and peeling, will it damage them more?? I'd like to try the gel, but am apprehensive.

5 hours ago, Briswife15 said:

Thanks, ladies!! If I try gel nails, and mine are already paper thin and peeling, will it damage them more?? I'd like to try the gel, but am apprehensive.

I would recommend the powder dip nail (SNS is the one I get) because it actually strengthens your nails. I developed a sensitivity to the solar nails stuff I used for about 15 years so I tried the gel and my nails were so weak they just broke off even with the gel. Since I have used the powder dip my nails are noticeably stronger when my manicurist soaks them off. I love them.

I would recommend the powder dip nail (SNS is the one I get) because it actually strengthens your nails. I developed a sensitivity to the solar nails stuff I used for about 15 years so I tried the gel and my nails were so weak they just broke off even with the gel. Since I have used the powder dip my nails are noticeably stronger when my manicurist soaks them off. I love them.
Thanks so much for that suggestion! I had wondered about that process. I'll have to check it out![emoji4]

I have been having the issue also with my nails. Im using sally henson strengthening clear coat/ top coat, and Essie Treat and love nail polish. When you pain your nails, put clear coat on first, then nail polish, then a clear coat again.
And Vitamin will help with nails and hair.< br>
Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 10/17/2019 at 12:46 PM, MIZ60 said:

Agree with this. I had been doing gel forever. But then a year post op my nails became thin, and would constantly tear. I switched to dip powder and have not looked back.

Dip powder is my go to for nail care now as well. I Love it! It is pretty easy to do, and makes my nails super strong.

I use Kiara Sky brand dips, but there are LOTS of others out there too.

Dip powder is my go to for nail care now as well. I Love it! It is pretty easy to do, and makes my nails super strong.
I use Kiara Sky brand dips, but there are LOTS of others out there too.

Do you do it yourself? Or go to a nail salon?

7 hours ago, Briswife15 said:

Do you do it yourself? Or go to a nail salon?

Hi! I just do it myself.

It is pretty easy and, once you get the hang of it, it goes quick. Usually lasts about 10 days to two weeks for me before outgrowth at the cuticle shows and I redo them.

The kit I have is kinda pricey, though I have been using it for almost two years and I am in no danger of running out anytime soon. For myself, it has paid for itself many times over verses going to a salon. I linked it below just so you can see the components. What you really only need to start out (with any system) is:

1. A bonder. This just paints on your natural nail to remove any excess oil or moisture.

2. A base. This is what you paint thin on your nail, just as if you were applying color polish, before you dip it into the powder. (This step is usually done at least twice. Paint, dip, paint, dip... doing the whole hand one dip and then starting over with the first finger you dipped again for the second dip to give it some dry time in between.)

3. Dip powder mentioned above. There are a million shades of dip powder but, to start out with, all you really need is a clear or natural nail pinkish color. I tend to use clear almost exclusively because I like to paint my nails with polish on top of it anyway.

4. A sealer, or a top coat. (Applied after buffing/ filing and smoothing the nail, before color polish- if you are using it.)

You will also want nail files and those sponge blocks with different grits to smooth out the nails after your 2nd powder dip before you top coat it. A good quality nail polish remover will help with removal when you are ready.

I would pick up the stuff at some place like Sally's Beauty, just to try it and see if you like it, so you don't have to invest as much.

That is probably all as clear as mud... LOL! I hope I made some sense.

Starter kit Kiara Sky

My nails, about 10 days after doing them. So not looking as good as they did
fresh by any means, but not broken off either. :) I don't baby my nails at all in between, so they get some abuse.477487818_thumbnail(2).thumb.jpg.be72094881c59fda9dbbc4a9ea153f70.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pic! I would have done a fresh set before taking the pic, but am fighting a cold and just feeling lazy...

Edit: After seeing the pic, I thought I better clarify that is silver glitter on my nails- not chipping or anything. Might be hard to tell!

Edited by FluffySaysForkIt!

Hi! I just do it myself.
It is pretty easy and, once you get the hang of it, it goes quick. Usually lasts about 10 days to two weeks for me before outgrowth at the cuticle shows and I redo them.
The kit I have is kinda pricey, though I have been using it for almost two years and I am in no danger of running out anytime soon. For myself, it has paid for itself many times over verses going to a salon. I linked it below just so you can see the components. What you really only need to start out (with any system) is:
1. A bonder. This just paints on your natural nail to remove any excess oil or moisture.
2. A base. This is what you paint thin on your nail, just as if you were applying color polish, before you dip it into the powder. (This step is usually done at least twice. Paint, dip, paint, dip... doing the whole hand one dip and then starting over with the first finger you dipped again for the second dip to give it some dry time in between.)
3. Dip powder mentioned above. There are a million shades of dip powder but, to start out with, all you really need is a clear or natural nail pinkish color. I tend to use clear almost exclusively because I like to paint my nails with polish on top of it anyway.
4. A sealer, or a top coat. (Applied after buffing/ filing and smoothing the nail, before color polish- if you are using it.)
You will also want nail files and those sponge blocks with different grits to smooth out the nails after your 2nd powder dip before you top coat it. A good quality nail polish remover will help with removal when you are ready.
I would pick up the stuff at some place like Sally's Beauty, just to try it and see if you like it, so you don't have to invest as much.
That is probably all as clear as mud... LOL! I hope I made some sense.
Starter kit Kiara Sky
My nails, about 10 days after doing them. So not looking as good as they did
fresh by any means, but not broken off either. [emoji4] I don't baby my nails at all in between, so they get some abuse.477487818_thumbnail(2).thumb.jpg.be72094881c59fda9dbbc4a9ea153f70.jpg
Sorry for the crappy pic! I would have done a fresh set before taking the pic, but am fighting a cold and just feeling lazy...
Edit: After seeing the pic, I thought I better clarify that is silver glitter on my nails- not chipping or anything. Might be hard to tell!
Hey, FluffySaysForkIt! Thanks so much for your post, and the tips for doing dip nails! I think I feel confident now to try it myself!! I'll be more gentle on my nails than they would be at a salon, and for sure save money! Does the polish stay for 10 days, too? Or do you have to repolish frequently? I always thought the colored powder was what you wanted for the color. I never thoughr about doing clear and then painting them.