Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

Hi All, I am having my surgery in 2 days (10/1/19) and just need to see some motivation to help me stop being so nervous. Can everyone just provide their first 6 month weight loss stats. Lbs down per month - month 1, 2, 3, etc...so I can be reminded of all the good things I have to look forward too! I am so excited but so scared and this simple thing will help me tremendously. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I lost 100 pounds in the first 6 months! Unbelievable, really. What I gained was also unbelievable - a whole new life! No shortness of breath with exercise, no asthma, no GERD, sleep apnea resolved, no joint pain, so much energy! Able to get down on the floor and GET UP AGAIN! Down 12 clothing sizes - WOW! Being one of the smaller people in the room instead of the biggest. The list goes on and on. It is a new world for me and I am so excited for you!

Edited by AZhiker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

M1 -16.4

M2 -11 (-27.4 total)

M3 -12.4 (-39.8 total)

M4 -12.2 (-52 total)

M5 -11.8 (-63.8 total)

M6 -11.2 (-75 total)

Edited by catwoman7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, AZhiker said:

I lost 100 pounds in the first 6 months! Unbelievable, really. What I gained was also unbelievable - a whole new life! No shortness of breath with exercise, no asthma, no GERD, sleep apnea resolved, no joint pain, so much energy! Able to get down on the floor and GET UP AGAIN! Down 12 clothing sizes - WOW! Being one of the smaller people in the room instead of the biggest. The list goes on and on. It is a new world for me and I am so excited for you!

Wow!!! That IS amazing! You have to be so proud of yourself. What surgery did you get? I am getting RNY. I cannot wait to experience every single thing you listed. Thank you for the lift. Of those 100, how much did you lose in the first 2 months?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

M1 -16.4

M2 -11 (-27.4 total)

M3 -12.4 (-39.8 total)

M4 -12.2 (-52 total)

M5 -11.8 (-63.8 total)

M6 -11.2 (-75 total)

So inspiring! Thanks for sharing with me. What surgery did you get?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

55 pounds in first 2 months. RNY. I also focused a lot on exercise - walking, wall push ups, then stairs, then light weights, then a leg routine and stretches. Now biking and swimming and entering a triathlon this coming Saturday! Woo hoo!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, AZhiker said:

55 pounds in first 2 months. RNY. I also focused a lot on exercise - walking, wall push ups, then stairs, then light weights, then a leg routine and stretches. Now biking and swimming and entering a triathlon this coming Saturday! Woo hoo!

Do you remember your daily calories and Protein for the first 6 months? Did it vary?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, lingre said:

So inspiring! Thanks for sharing with me. What surgery did you get?

RNY...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Mikeyy said:

Do you remember your daily calories and Protein for the first 6 months? Did it vary?

Always got at least 60 gm Protein. That gradually went up a bit. Average 80 gm by end of 6 months. Also doing a lot of exercise by then - strength training and cardio. Caloric amounts are average. They varied by 50 give or take each day, but this is what my journal shows:

First 3 weeks: 300 cal.

M:1 400-500 cal.

M 2: 600 cal.

M 3: 600 cal.

M 4: 800 cal.

M 5: 800 cal.

M 6: 900-1000 cal.

Now, because of this silly triathlon (what was I thinking?) I cannot get enough calories. I am eating to the point of being uncomfortable just to keep from losing weight. I don't like it. Can hardly wait til this is over. I will continue to bike, swim, and walk, but not all on the same day! I just want to get back to "normal" eating with my morning fast and smallish meals.

Edited by AZhiker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I lost a lot pretty fast. That is not the way it is with everyone, and in some regards, I wish the loss had been slower. It is a huge mental adjustment to losing so much so fast. I went from pant size 24 to 10. Bra 42DD to 36B. People don't recognize me and I hardly recognize myself. Body dysmorphia is real - I feel like I am in someone else's body. It's a bit surreal. Sometimes I feel a bit lost - like where did I go? I think I look old and wrinkled - shriveled and saggy. People tell me I look younger, but I don't see it. Without clothes, I think I look 90 years old. Anyway, I just try to focus on all the things I can do now, even if I do look funny! I must say, it is fun to shop for cute clothes. I hated it before - so shaming. But gosh darn it! I can't find jeans that fit. My thighs are hollow on the inside now and even size 10 have way too much fabric in the thigh area so they look more like English riding pants on me.

Bottom line - you will lose at the rate that your body wants. Going slower is not bad - it might even be better for all the mental and physical changes that happen. I am also getting pretty tired of people asking about my weight loss. Some are concerned that I might be sick and others are just nosy. That is getting old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, AZhiker said:

lost a lot pretty fast. That is not the way it is with everyone, and in some regards, I wish the loss had been slower

I lost slowly and it was difficult because it made no sense and it was very frustrating at times. In hindsight, I am glad it took longer because I don’t take a single pound lost for granted.

I do think there are pitfalls with both. There is a risk of giving up when the weight loss is slow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been on my own preop diet for 5 weeks and I'm down 44 lbs thus far.

High Protein everyday. Low carbs. shakes. tuna. And use my exercise bike everyday :)

3.5 weeks until surgery cannot wait so excited get my own private room too!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/30/2019 at 8:44 AM, Cheeseburgh said:

I lost slowly and it was difficult because it made no sense and it was very frustrating at times. In hindsight, I am glad it took longer because I don’t take a single pound lost for granted.

I do think there are pitfalls with both. There is a risk of giving up when the weight loss is slow.

I was 192.8 on surgery day 6/8/19 and it will be 3 months next week I am 169. A big difference between now and the 203 start. It just seems so slow compared to others with the sleeve. I have my 3 month appt. with the surgeon next week and nervous I didn’t lose enough even though he told me to take it slow I have a year to take it off. At least at the 169 I am in the overweight category which I am very happy with for now. It is a little frustrating not seeing it come down. I am hoping I can continue losing as you did! Congratulations on your accomplishments it is something you work at every day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Midnightsun said:

I was 192.8 on surgery day 6/8/19 and it will be 3 months next week I am 169. A big difference between now and the 203 start. It just seems so slow compared to others with the sleeve. I have my 3 month appt. with the surgeon next week and nervous I didn’t lose enough even though he told me to take it slow I have a year to take it off. At least at the 169 I am in the overweight category which I am very happy with for now. It is a little frustrating not seeing it come down. I am hoping I can continue losing as you did! Congratulations on your accomplishments it is something you work at every day.

at 192 - and even at 203 - you would have been what we refer to as a "lightweight". With that starting BMI, you're going to lose much slower than someone who starts at over 300 lbs. I think you're doing great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Krestel

      Me: Hey Siri, Is it raining outside? (for my morning walks with the dogs)
      Siri: I don't think it's raining at the moment.
      Wet Dogs: Then why are we wet? This damn Siri person is more stupid than we are.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Billy Bob  »  lvidacovich

      Drink Muscle Milk. lol  Gt 60 to 90 gm quality Protein & daily vitimins, good sleep, walking & resistant ( weight /bands/squats ) You absolutely build muscle. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • SabrinaGoddess

      I received my nutrition book and checklist today! I am so very excited (and a tad bit scared too) Each day this is becoming a reality!
      I created a new blog post about how BRAVE we all are for doing this. Because I think we are! Most of us know the horrors of people calling us nasty names, saying we can't control ourselves, we are easy targets for people's verbal attacks! But I feel we are BRAVE because we are taking control over our lives and creating a new world of happiness.

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • SabrinaGoddess

      Today I scheduled my mental evaluation and my nutritionist appointments. Yes, we are moving along quiet nice.  December 9th will be here before you know it.
      I have informed my inner circle of family about the surgery and I will be keeping it in my CORE!

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • drac2you

      Well, it has been a while since I posted here, but my journey continues. As for breaking my stall, I was able to get down to 214 with the help of a friend via our Fitbit fitness trackers which has made me ecstatic! Since that has happened I was fortunate enough to have my insurance company approve a panniculectomy to remove the panniculus (THIS is the correct term, NOT pannus, see this reference: https://www.merriam-webster.com/medical/panniculus) that has been deviling me for years, even before I had bariatric surgery. It was to the point that it was hanging down far enough to cover my pubic area, covered half my thighs when I would sit, and also drooped between my legs which I could hardly manage to keep together when sitting. For any males that may read this, for a woman that is pretty uncivilized, not to mention, unladylike especially when wearing a dress or skirt - just looks slovenly to say the least. Despite the numerous skin issues I had the last couple of years, my health insurance insisted the procedure was cosmetic... 🤐 . I would guess no one that is saying so has been in the bariatric patient's shoes. The damn thing was just getting to be a self-esteem killer in addition to a medical nuisance requiring many visits to my primary care physician, and interfering with my mobility. Now, I realize there are folks with more egregious panniculus sag issues, but the fact that it interferes with mobility is an important consideration.
      One thing I have to say is that this surgery is drastically different from any other I've had. Things occur that are deemed routine, expected even, after a panniculectomy that would be downright unacceptable after any other procedure. This plastic surgery experience is definitely a learning experience that is still unfolding as I key this entry. For one thing, the swelling is a story all it's own, I had no clue my abdomen could get so large, so quickly, without causing my skin to just split open - it's crazy! So far, I'm pleased to have been able to get this procedure despite may be perceived as drawbacks, just to get the pendulous adipose tissue demon off of my person. Here are a few links to information about this procedure for anyone considering it in the future:
      https://www.yourbariatricsurgeryguide.com/panniculectomy/ https://www.healthline.com/health/panniculectomy https://www.yourplasticsurgeryguide.com/tummy-tuck/panniculectomy/ https://www.plasticsurgery.org/reconstructive-procedures/panniculectomy/safety https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK499822/ I hope you find this information helpful. I will provide updates periodically on my progress of this surgical recovery. Have a wonderful day! 
      · 2 replies
      1. Panda333

        Thank you and good luck to you!

      2. SabrinaGoddess

        WOW, thank you for sharing all this with us!

  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×