Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why does it feel like there is always something stuck??

No matter how good I chew whenever I eat just about anything, including meat or anything with texture it feels like somethng is always stuck at the base of my throat. It is driving me crazy and making me not eat. I haven't had a fill yet and I will be 8 weeks post op tomorrow. I was suppost to get my first fill next Wed, but now because of work will have to reschedule that until the next week.

Because of this feeling like there is always something in my throat that won't go down I am not eating hardly anything and I really haven't lost any weight. I am only down 16 pounds since surgery on Sept 28. Granted I haven't been exercising either because of a very hectic ortho practice and working sun up to sun down. I know that not eating will stall the metabolism and put your body in starvation mode. That's what my DH says has happened to me. What am I to do??? Does anybody else have this feeling??? Do I need to ask my pcp to do a scope and see if there is anything else going on?? We are having our Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow, again always a scheduling problem, but I am not looking forward to it as I know I probably will eat very little if anything at all. This just really started about a week ago. I know a couple of times it was really my fault as I know I eat too fast. I chew very well, I just don't wait enough time in between bites, then it feels like I am going to get stuck so I slow down, then stop, then the feeling like there is something in my throat and I quit eating completly even thought my stomach is still growling. Water, juice all liquids always go down fine. I just can't figure out and need some input.:cry

I know for me last week I started to get a feeling of something being stuck, but I woke up that way. It lasted all day for me and has happened a few times since. I took Gas X strips and I that feeling went away. So maybe you are just experiencing gas bubbles?? I don't know, but you might want to give the Gas X strips a try and see if that helps and or you might call your doctor. Good luck!

I can only eat about one small meal aday that has meat in it...Other than that I'm still drinking 2 cans of Low Carb Slim Fast a day....I get the same feeling of something getting stuck if I over do solids...lol

I have the ame feeling and it is driving me crazy. I hate that feeling. I was told by other banders that my band is too tight. They also have commented that they have a lot of restriction when they are about to start their monthly "Friend".

I was banded on Sept.24. I have lost27 lbs. I am having the same problem as you. I got my first fill after six weeks. That is when it started feeling lke everything gets stuck. I called my coordinator and she said drink Protein Drinks for a while. She also said when I lose weight my band should loosen up. It is very frustrating, I agree. Nice to chat with someone that was banded the same time. This is my first time on this website, if you have any tips let me know.... thanks

remember NOT to DRINK while eating your meals. wait at least 30min before or after your meal. you don't want to fill your pouch up with too many liquids when its nutrient time ie; food time! lol.

that helped me out alot bc i was having things get stuck. i still haven't ever PB'd, thank goodness....but i have had things get stuck here recently and couldn't figure it out....so i went over the long list of to do's and not to do's and found what is working for me.

be blessed and good luck figuring out your body. we're all different and somethings, tricks of the trade, etc. just work for some better then others.

xoxo, christie

That is the hardest part of this ,is not eating and drinking at the same time. What is a pb that is always being refered to? Thank you so much for responding. I was banded on Sept. 24 ,07.

It is a productive burp. It is when something does not go down, it comes back up with a lot of saliva. I hate to admit it but I have done it a lot. I have a very hard time remembering to chew enough!!! I must have a very slow learning curve.

Juliacleone

Looks lie we were banded the same day and started at the same weight. My current weight is 192. I have the PB's just about every time I eat solids. Very worried that my band has slipped or something. Hoping it is just my tendency to not chew well enough and too fast. Sometimes I have no problem at all. If band has slipped what are the symptoms if you know. Thanks.

I don't know if this helps but I have been banded now for 20 months, have no fill whatsoever and still cannot eat meals. I go through periods of not being able to keep anything down. I am in that mode right now. coffee doesnt even want to stay down. I think mine is stressed related, can;t figure out what else it could be. However, wouldnt change a thing. Not having to worry about clothes and being comfortable is al worth it even if I cant ever eat a hamburger, steak or Italian food again!

Looks lie we were banded the same day and started at the same weight. My current weight is 192. I have the PB's just about every time I eat solids. Very worried that my band has slipped or something. Hoping it is just my tendency to not chew well enough and too fast. Sometimes I have no problem at all. If band has slipped what are the symptoms if you know. Thanks.

I was worried about my pb's too but I have had two fluoroscopes and she said all is well. I just have such a hard time remembering to chew chew chew. I have trouble with ground beef, Pasta, rice, tortillas...just about the whole list of what they said I'd have trouble with. I did not lose any in Jan but I just got a fill a week ago and I can certainly tell it is tighter. Have you gotten a fill yet? where to you live? Did you go to Mexico? Just being nosy!! Back to PB's I can't figure out if I PB when I don't chew or eat too much or both. What do you think?