Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

:help:i got banded 11/19...whenever i sleep or sit, i get up to sharp pressure pain in my upper throat...it occasionally happens when i swallow and always when i burp. plus sometimes i salivate uncontrollably..very, very salty tasting...i havent eaten anything since the surgery except a half cup of green tea, a half cup of chicken broth and about a half cup of sugar free Jello. I sipped some Water this morning and my salivating and throat pain was accompanied by a dry heave...my temp is 97.2 and blood sugar is 156, i afraid to take my pain meds or any others. can anyone relate?

:help:

Wow, sounds uncomfortable to say the least. Only been a couple days since surgery, probably just real sore, real inflamed, real swollen all inside where the band is. Call your doctor!

I work for a Surgery Center that does the lap bands, and I see many patients. This is something that is defintely unusual. The soreness could be from the tube that they inserted down your throat during surgery so that you can breath. I would call you Dr and tell him.

John

the nurse at the doctor's office also thinks it's a combination of the tube, inflamation, and gas pressure. she also thinks that i'm having a bad reaction to the anesthesia creating nausia and told me to use a heating pad as i'm not expelling gas rectally. i hope she right... she said it's unusual

Doing any better this evening Mike?

My DH had a somewhat similar sounding reaction following a GI bleed, and it was spasms of the esophagus---which could be what they mentioned with the intubation.

Sorry your banding is off to such a rocky start---one thing about it, it should get better from here!

Feel free to send me a PM anytime you see me online, and no one seems to be responding. Sometimes if the thread gets covered quickly by another, we all miss it. I know I spend a lot of time on here in the morning, reading up on threads I subscribe to, but would (and did!) have missed your plea for help.

Anything we can do to help ease the road into bandland!

Welcome to LBT!

Kat

Wow, I have no ideas for you, other than to check with your Dr. It is likely caused by residual swelling, but if you keep bringing it back up, it will continue to irritate the stomach, and it becomes an evil circle. Maybe they can prescribe you something to help with the pain, and thereby avoid the bringing it back up---so that you can settle your stomach and begin healing.

Please let me know how it goes, it sounds horrible! I am sorry you are having such a hard time of it!

Good Luck!

Welcome to LBT----don't give up on us, this one just is beyond my experience to help with!

Kat

I would call your Dr. That is definately unusual. It sounds like your too tight, but you should be wide open. Are you burping or having gas?

Do you Start the day with Warm liquids (coffee/tea)? If not try that, it helps open things up.

Definitely call your Dr.

John

I called the Doc today and they gave me dissolving reflux meds and some liquid for ulser pain. Today was better and I have kept everything down so far. My band is empty, I go for my first appt on Friday

Thanks for the support

Excellent!! I bet you will be surprised at how much better you feel very quickly now! On to band success!!

Thanks for the update, I was wondering about how it was going!

Kat