Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Needing more protein 6 months out to help with maintence and hair loss



Recommended Posts

So my MD had a goal of only 60g of Protein but I think I am loosing too quickly and want to increase it to hopefully stop this Hair loss that I am freaking out about. I do a 30g premier shake every day then have an egg, lunch meat, tuna etc. It's just volume is an issue. I can only eat 1 egg in 15-20 min but nothing else for an hour at least. At dinner a 2oz piece of meat (ground beef chicken anything) and I am stuffed. I get in maybe a half cup of fruit or veggies during the day just to get some Fiber in.

I feel like I shouldn't push the volume up but I also feel like I am spending the entire day thinking about trying to get more food in small amounts all day to try and get 800 calories (trying to maintain current weight) and 60-70g protein. Ugh.

I have had no stalls and still lose 2 pounds/week. I am now at a normal BMI and it's; not slowing down. I don't want to lose more. I never thought I would have that issue. I am trying to tell myself I can still lose another 10-15 pounds and that I will probably gain 10 pounds once my body settles anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're right, that's something we never think we'll tell ourselves, "I'm losing too much weight" so it's a different dynamic to deal with. Add in a Protein Shake each day and that'll give you plenty of Protein without amping up too many calories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stay the course. Fluctuate between 60-70g. NBD. Keep your meals the way you have them. TE (telegen effluvium) is gonna happen to most of us...it did to me. My Hair loss is now back to normal/manageable.

Congrats on your losses!!! Keep going. Cuz at 5'2" if you can get more (deeper) into the normal zone during the honeymoon the better!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, 2Bsmaller18 said:

So my MD had a goal of only 60g of Protein but I think I am loosing too quickly and want to increase it to hopefully stop this Hair loss that I am freaking out about. I do a 30g premier shake every day then have an egg, lunch meat, tuna etc. It's just volume is an issue. I can only eat 1 egg in 15-20 min but nothing else for an hour at least. At dinner a 2oz piece of meat (ground beef chicken anything) and I am stuffed. I get in maybe a half cup of fruit or veggies during the day just to get some Fiber in.

I feel like I shouldn't push the volume up but I also feel like I am spending the entire day thinking about trying to get more food in small amounts all day to try and get 800 calories (trying to maintain current weight) and 60-70g Protein. Ugh.

I have had no stalls and still lose 2 pounds/week. I am now at a normal BMI and it's; not slowing down. I don't want to lose more. I never thought I would have that issue. I am trying to tell myself I can still lose another 10-15 pounds and that I will probably gain 10 pounds once my body settles anyway.

Congrats on all your hard work.

The Hair loss should stop with time.

You will continue to lose weight consuming 800 calories. Have you contacted your dietician for your maintenance food plan? You will be adding carbs to slow/stop weight loss.

Here is a link to the maintenance thread.

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/425802-the-maintenance-thread/

You’re not alone in struggling to increase calories. Your surgery restriction will become less over time. The transition is not easy. Many of us got to goal quickly. You will have to graze your calories to get them in. Who knew it would be a chore to eat, Right??? *laughing*

At 5’2” normal BMI range is 102lbs to 136lbs It gives you wiggle room to find a weight you want to maintain at. The goal is healthy. What ever that looks like for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Healthy_life2 said:

At 5’2” normal BMI range is 102lbs to 136lbs It gives you wiggle room to find a weight you want to maintain at. The goal is healthy. What ever that looks like for you.

^^^This.

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was in the same position as you a couple months ago (and I'm 5'2" too!).

...was going to post a more in depth reply here, but @Healthy_life2 just reminded me with her post above that I am overdue in posting in The Maintenance Thread she quoted. Will work on that now and link it up from here to avoid double posting...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try adding some nuts and seeds. Now would be the time to add some nut butters, as well. Add a scoop of Protein Powder to your smoothies and yoghurt. Top your yoghurt with seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, chia,) and slivered almonds. You can easily slip in an extra 200 cal with nuts and seeds. AND they are really good for you. They will add Protein and fat, and lots of good nutrients.

I am also 6 months out and volume is still quite an issue. The only way I get all my protein in is to use the powder and add it to anything I can. I also use PP shakes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, ms.sss said:

I was in the same position as you a couple months ago (and I'm 5'2" too!).

...was going to post a more in depth reply here, but @Healthy_life2 just reminded me with her post above that I am overdue in posting in The Maintenance Thread she quoted. Will work on that now and link it up from here to avoid double posting...

I got distracted, but I finally got to writing something...WARNING: it's pretty long..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She is very healthy. Not fat. Her hair is starting to come back I believe. I had read it was fairly common but hadn’t found any cases of it happening to a GSP. I feed her high quality dog food and give her an egg twice a week with a little coconut oil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×