Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is it with the superior 'oldies'!!

Beka

This one is the feedback,suggestion area.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f5/rants-raves-become-not-newbies-45404/

Hope I attached it right! Really all it was, was a thread that caught my eye on a pissy day - thus why I posted in the rants area as opposed to main boards.

Oh com'on... this was clearly written with a sense of humor!!!!

yup, me stirring the pot again...

another forum i belong to has "the playground" which is a lot like RnR. in order to even view the threads you have to be a member for X months and have X posts.

any thoughts on making RnR like that? things get quite heated over there and you need a tough skin... even though the header is prefaced with the disclaimer, it's been taken VERY personally by some newer members lately.

However, in all fairness to you, you do come out and say you were having a pissy day. I happy to have lots of those. ;)

Oh com'on... this was clearly written with a sense of humor!!!!

However, in all fairness to you, you do come out and say you were having a pissy day. I happy to have lots of those. ;)

Must have missed the whole humor part in it - maybe it hiding from this 'newbie'. Each to their own I guess.

BEKA. your attitude suggests to me a reflection of your own problem . it might help you to examine why you see the oldies in such a strange perspective...... perhaps you are angry about some comment..... i think your attitude should be of gratitude and humility not hostile and anger. im not trying to put you down., but, dont you think that most of us are just trying to help and it is possible you are taking things too personal. take what you need from here and leave the rest. why get upset........ hope you have much success and one day you will be an oldie and you can share your valuble advice . good luck

Must have missed the whole humor part in it - maybe it hiding from this 'newbie'. Each to their own I guess.

Yeah, you clearly missed the obvious humor. As you say, to each his own.

It could not have been more bloody clear. But I've had those days too. I have had many of them.

LJM is very good people. What was said wasn't meant to be hurtful to the newbies, quite the opposite actually. It was an idea to stop feelings getting hurt.

(Correct me if I am wrong, LJM, but that's the way I took it)

I know others have said it already. But it's because of of all the so called *Oldies* (Experienced is a better term imho) that I decided that I wanted the band to begin with.

Because there are soooo many sources/people etc out there that are negative towards the band and promote the other more dangerous and less successful surgerys/methods. It makes this place 1000x's more valuable in my eyes., to get advice from people who have been there and managed to come through it and share their learning experience for us clueless ones.

Having so much trouble getting to get to have the surgery myself I have been depressed and considered several times that I should just drop it. But then I come here and read and remind myself that this is going to be a tough journey but there are people here who can help me through it with their experience and words of wisdom. And you know what. Having someone pat you on the back when you need a good swift kick isn't gonna get you motivated again.

:whoo:To the Experienced people who are still here. ;)

LJM is very good people. What was said wasn't meant to be hurtful to the newbies, quite the opposite actually. It was an idea to stop feelings getting hurt.

(Correct me if I am wrong, LJM, but that's the way I took it)

laying in bed thinking of doing crunches - does that count??

will post more at work ;) but I wanted to reply to this one

YES!! I wanted to try to avoid another scene like the weekend. the whole mess about - oh god I'm getting old and can't even remember the thread name...

it was to avoid hurt feelings. MOST of the time (ok 50.0001%) I really am quite nice and not a total bitch. :)

ok gotta get ready for work. ;)

laying in bed thinking of doing crunches - does that count??

will post more at work ;) but I wanted to reply to this one

YES!! I wanted to try to avoid another scene like the weekend. the whole mess about - oh god I'm getting old and can't even remember the thread name...

it was to avoid hurt feelings. MOST of the time (ok 50.0001%) I really am quite nice and not a total bitch. :)

ok gotta get ready for work. ;)

Nonono... *I* am a bitch. *I* deserve the title. I have earned it, I deserve it, *I* am the bitch.

Everyone loves you, you are special people.

And yes, your abd crunches count. You see, you should be sleeping so when you are not sleeping and you are THINKING about exercise, it counts. ;)

I for one am very thankful for the "oldies" although a lot of them have left since I first found LBT.

When my doctor mentioned the lapband to me I fought it like crazy, didn't want any part of it. For almost a year I didn't even check it out. Then one day I decided to look it up on the internet. Somehow, I stumbled across LBT and started reading the threads on here. I was amazed at the information on this board, and also amazed at the advice these ladies were giving. After reading the treads for about a month, I decided I wasn't afraid of the surgery anymore, and I joined the board. I started asking questions and getting good answers.

Wnen I went to talk to my surgeon about the surgery I was so informed of everything that was going to happen or could happen he was surprised at me! I learned all this from LBT and the "oldies" on here. They took the time to explain things to me, and anyone else that had questions.

One person that really helped me (who isn't here anymore) was a special lady named "Letha." She had went through a lot with her band, and was ready to help anyone who needed help. I never had problems with my band, but I knew what to expect or do if I did have problems just because of the advice from the "oldies."

Maybe you won't always like the answers you get when you ask your questions, but you will get honest answers.

You also should remember this is just a support board and the best advice you can get is from your doctor and your doctor alone. Every doctor had different rules, and just because your friend can eat or do something doesn't mean you should if your doctor tells you not to.

I still turn to this board and the "oldies" when I need help, and I am an oldie myself now, but you know what? I haven't been where some of them have with their bands, and I am ready to listen to them every time! Who knows, I might be the next one to go through what they did!

So, thank "oldies" for all the help and advice you have given me for the last three years.

>Well, as an "oldie" (banded in '04), I come and go and hope that along the line I can get and offer encouragement.

CoffeeWench was one of my inspiration persons when I began my band journey and I am so happy to see her posting. Still beautiful inside and out.

>Well, as an "oldie" (banded in '04), I come and go and hope that along the line I can get and offer encouragement.

CoffeeWench was one of my inspiration persons when I began my band journey and I am so happy to see her posting. Still beautiful inside and out.

Thanks Mariposa, I'll try to stay around more!! I'm still happy with my band and am so glad I chose this surgery despite a few bumps along the way.

I don't have anything against anyone on this board, old or new... haven't been here long enough. Besides I have been too busy losing weight!! :whoo::whoo: I got caught up in all the carry on about the November Nymphs (especially since it was brought in from RnR into our thread)... I couldn't help being defensive since it was me who suggested the name and I couldn't understand why us in particular since many groups had given themselves a name, eg, shrinking violets, tenacious tens. I am a nymph, now in my heart and no doubt further down the track my body will catch up. I feel that people some get pleasure out of making fun of others and then don't understand why people can get upset... this happens on boards and in real life and the one thing I've learnt is that while someone's putting someone else down, they don't have to deal with their own inadeqacies. For the record, I am not having a go at anyone in particular... I can't even remember who said what, it was the general tone that made me want to respond to what was going on.

Good luck to all of you, you've achieved so much and I got a lot of benefit from reading your posts prior to my op. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

here I am. So tell me, how is life? I'm doing great, still love my band. Some days life is great, other days I have my issues. Still trying to fight the fat monster. I reached goal of 135-137 about a yr ago and had been maintaining. I have put a tiny bit of weight on, but I'm back on my horse. We need all the older oldies to come back and share. Where is Delarla, Penni, Leatha, Christina and so many more? I need an older oldie reunion.

(its my bandiversary in 2 days!! YAY!).

happy band day!! :clap2:

HA! You know, I got my panties in such a wad over that thread that I unsubscribed and never read the rest of it. I should have.

Thanks for posting the link.

that's the great thing about this board - you can search pretty much anything you want (and im not saying you dont ... just stating the facts ;) ) all you have to do is play around and take a couple of minutes. it literally took me about 2 mins to find that thread.

In all fairness to oldies, it's not bs that at a certain point we're out living our lives.

For awhile (I think year 4?) I actually on a regular basis FORGOT I was banded--my weight became something I didn't think about for the first time in my life. After my battle with reflux started that all changed, but I guess my point is...don't discount the "out living life". It happens. :)

wow - congrats on 8 years! i cannot wait until i forget i am banded.

started because of a thread about having the Rant Area being made off limit to 'newbies'.

that would be me ... and i honestly did not mean it as a 'let's hide this from the newbies', it was more, let's let the new people absorb info about being banded first then walk into the firepit! i honestly didnt even go into RnR until a month or two ago.

i was in a pissy type mood when i started that thread. another thread and posts there got me in the ticky mood and i just pretty much had it. i knew if i left LBT again, i'd be hunted down, so that wasnt an option... sticking to RnR only seemed really to be my only alternative for a bit... **shrug**

So to the 'oldies' (as I affectionately call you) from a 'newbie' I am sorry if you took offense but thought thats what rants are all about - getting it out there and trust me after reading your responses I am definately a'newbie' who is not too sensitive.

maybe 'experienced' ??? there are some relatively young oldies (Chickie, Wheetsin to name a couple) ;)

I like you. I think we shall keep you. That was one of the coolest headed replies to a thread like this I have ever read.

i concur...

You know what? I'm going to tell you something.

<huge snip>

You just have to want it bad enough.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: