Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling like this didn’t work....

Ok guys... maybe you can help me with some insight if what I am feeling and experiencing is normal. I had my surgery 8 days ago and I’m now on the purées/soft food stage as my surgeon requested. I’ve been keeping track of everything I put in my mouth on the Baritastic app and every night I end up with a total of 800/900 calories consumed. I was told that I shouldn’t even be able to get close to this amount for several months...let alone 8 days out. Everything I’m eating is sugar free or fat free. I’m drinking 2 Protein Shakes a day...a Greek yogurt or ff cottage cheese, about 1/2 cup of cream of chicken Soup and I have been able to eat a very small amount of the ricotta bake or some puréed Beans. Just tried scrambled eggs for the first time today and only could eat about 5 bites. Problem is, I am feeling hunger a lot... but then when I eat I get full fast. I am getting between 60-80 ounces of Water with crystal light in easily. I have gained 1.3lbs as of today too!!! Is this normal or should I be feeling not hungry and more restricted?? I’m starting to feel discouraged.

Not many people feel satified on the liquid or puree phase but solids is a different ball game so hang tight 🌈

If you are concerned about caloric intake overall, look carefully at your food choices and see if you can find versions that have less calories with the same nutrition. Swap those out.

Whatever the calorie, amount, macro range that you are allowed during each stage, try really hard to stick to it. Also try to stick to scheduled meal times if you are eating too many calories.

Good Luck and Congrats 💜

Maybe eat a planned amount rather then just eating until you are full. It took me a while to get the hang of feeling full so I just pre-measured my food and that’s what I ate.

Keep up Drinking your fluids, sometimes what we feel is hunger or appetite is really residual stomach acid. Your body as well as YOU have been through a lot in a very short time. Be kind, be good to yourself, this does pass and your road ahead gets more beautiful every day. And this is a lead-pipe cibch!

Try to ignore fluctuations I woke up this morning down 6lbs from yesterday after a good nights sleep. I was very annoyed yesterday seeing the scale had not moved since surgery and nearly made a post here asking what other first week experiences were. I’m getting 500 a day and I am still on clear liquid with 330 of that from the Protein.

OK. This is going to sound Keto-ish but it's the truth. Your body only runs off of burning sugars or fat. When we were babies, our bodies would burn fat first for fuel. Fat-burning bodies are like candles and slow-burning so you stay satiatiated longer, sugar-burning bodies are like microwaves...instant (carbs are also sugar), which is why you crave more sugar (feel hungry) quicker. Your body adapts to either way...like an addict. Our natural state is to use fat as fuel first then sugars. But, if you give it a quick fix with sugars long enough you will have to retrain it to burn the fat first. That's why we forgot to eat when we were younger and could go long periods of time without food. As we aged and leaned into our processed sugar addictions, we were told that we could still eat sugar and be thin if we just eliminate fat from our diets. This is such a backwards way of thinking, especially now that you have re-set your body and only have a small pouch in which to nourish it. Train it to burn fats and eliminate sugars/carbs from your diet. You have a one ounce stomach to pack full of nutrient, Vitamin, mineral rich foods. Use it wisely. Good fats are healthy and necessary. Avocados, almond butter, butter, WHOLE cottage cheese, etc. Fat free is devoid of a lot of the beneficial stuff but still has processed stuff and sugar in it that your body feels freaked out and in starvation mode about. Your body will never have a chance to burn fat like that. Plus your skin will look dry and old. You need oils and natural foods. Don't be afraid of eating like a whole healthy person. You will stay satisfied and satiated longer and place your body in fat-burning mode (ketosis). Your skin and hair will look great and your body will respond better. No more fat-free. [emoji6][emoji173]

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Since I’m so sick with nausea and pain. Since I left the hospital I didn’t go on any scale.i just want to feel better.im so weak to even go for a walk..hopefully next week I feel much much better.thank you all for the support!

I would suggest messaging your nutritionist with your concerns because every program is different.

If you already have done so. My only advice as a newbie is to stick to your program. I measure all of my foods because my body doesn't always give me a 'your full' signal. Perhaps because my surgery was just 4 weeks ago and I am still healing.

I am 8 days out. I do not have to avoid drinking 30 min before/after Fluid since I am still on full liquids. About day 4 or 5 I noticed I could eat a 5 Oz container of Greek yogurt (slowly) without feeling restriction. I started giving myself that 30 min window and now I can only eat half the yogurt. I was really worried because I need restriction to keep me on target. I am getting 400 calls a day but when I was drinking with my foods I felt I could have eaten way more. I made myself stop. And I had terrible head hunger day 4-7. I have to stop and really pay attention to my stomach to see if I am hungry. So far it’s always been a “no”

when I was on full liquids, they still wanted me to get in the habit of 30 mins before and after.

I was sleeved on February 8, 2019 and for the first 2 to 3 weeks I found myself surprised that I was able to consume and tolerate foods so easily. I was always hungry and was literally going insane. I spent the first week at home literals looking up pictures of food because I couldn't stop thinking about it.I forced myself to maintain my calories between 300 to 400 during that time though. Once I gave it time, I found that I wasn't able to consume as much or as quickly. My biggest thing was learning how to control my hunger with Water and Protein Shakes versus reaching for food all the time. Practice the no eating 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after. The stomach acid is real so don't let that fool you. The first week is hell, the second week sucks, but it does get better. It's so early to be discouraged. Just stick to the restrictions and work the surgery.
SW 233 / CW 178

16 hours ago, freidaboat said:

I was sleeved on February 8, 2019 and for the first 2 to 3 weeks I found myself surprised that I was able to consume and tolerate foods so easily. I was always hungry and was literally going insane. I spent the first week at home literals looking up pictures of food because I couldn't stop thinking about it.I forced myself to maintain my calories between 300 to 400 during that time though. Once I gave it time, I found that I wasn't able to consume as much or as quickly. My biggest thing was learning how to control my hunger with Water and Protein Shakes versus reaching for food all the time. Practice the no eating 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after. The stomach acid is real so don't let that fool you. The first week is hell, the second week sucks, but it does get better. It's so early to be discouraged. Just stick to the restrictions and work the surgery.
SW 233 / CW 178

Ty for this encouragement! I do have a terrible time forgetting to not drink before and after....but I also think because my foods are still of a puréed consistency that it’s making me forget to stop drinking even more.

I'm so happy I found this discussion because I feel like I'm going through the same thing and worried that my gastric bypass isn't really working.

My eating *is* restricted though I'm not suffering from nausea/vomiting/dumping, but I'm worried that I'm still getting too many calories every day. I've gone from 200 calories a day all the way up to almost 800! My nutritionist didn't give me a daily calorie range to shoot for--- she just told me 80 grams of Protein, no more than about 30 grams of carbs a day (not counting the milk in protein shakes), and less than 5 grams of surgery per serving...... and I'm worried that I'm stretching my pouch!!!

More Soup in the Crock pot today, that's what I handle best, I know Roy my dietician is hoping i'll move on to more grown-up levels, but after the calamities I have endured emulating someone else, it just may not happen yet. Trying to be someone else is demeaning to me, I too have my place in the Universe. I was not created to be average--'I AM AWESOME in my own right!