Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How are you getting in enough protien

Howdy everyone. How are you getting in enough Protein from natural sources. I am 6 months out and have never tracked my food. I just ate the foods that I was told I could eat and ate some of the recipes from here. I mainly eat meat then follow with some vegetables. I got to noticing that my hair was thinning. I take a Multivitamin already so I figure it was from not getting enough protein. When I track my protein it is 60-70 a day but I should be getting closer to 100 I don't wanna eat more. I was told to get most of my protein from natural food, but last few weeks been eating Protein Bar for Breakfast because they are higher in protein than couple eggs for breakfast.

How many meals do you eat per day. How much volume are you eating per meal. How much lean, dense Protein can you handle eating per meal? Do you exercise--if so, how many times per week, how long each time, and how much intensity is it/what is it (ie walking v. jogging or running, full body movement exercises or HIIT).

Hair loss is natural with this journey. Many people will experience a regrowth starting sometime after month 9. Nothing you can do about it.

I agree, at 6'4" 60-70g of protein per day doesn't sound like enough and 90-100g sounds more like it.

Congrats on your success so far!!

60 to 100 grams of Protein is a normal range from dietitians.. if you can hit that goal with real food there's no need for shakes or protein supplements. Without logging I hope you're hitting that goal. Your surgeon should have let you know that the Hair loss is normal. It will stop and your hair will grow back in

Sent from my SM-G920T using BariatricPal mobile app

Aside from taking Multi Vitamins, which I take twice daily, I also take Calcium 3x per day.

I'm only 5'0 and based on my gender and height, I should consume 46grams of Protein daily. I have a Yogurt a day (16g) and either Almonds/Nuts (14g) or 2 eggs (12g), or cottage cheese (12g). Of course from your meat also when you eat your meals.

Just now, Healthy_life2 said:

60 to 100 grams of Protein is a normal range from dietitians.. if you can hit that goal with real food there's no knees for shakes or Protein supplements. Without logging I hope you're hitting that goal. Your surgeon should have let you know that the Hair loss is normal. It will stop and your hair will grow back in

Is 60-100g normal range for a 6'4" dude though? That seems like 100g might be right, but dunno...

I use a combination of Protein supplements (because I like the shakes for Breakfast as a meal replacement) and real food. I get eggs, salmon, hamburger, cheese, almonds, protein chip Snacks, protein cake bite snacks, and Peanut Butter.

My surgeon told me to get 65 g of Protein in per day. The dietary reference index says 0.8 g/kg which would put me at 99 g per day. Thanks for thoughts on Hair loss. My visits with surgeon are usually very quick and has never said anything about hair loss. I dont see him for another 6 months.

8 minutes ago, Porthous said:

My surgeon told me to get 65 g of Protein in per day. The dietary reference index says 0.8 g/kg which would put me at 99 g per day. Thanks for thoughts on Hair loss. My visits with surgeon are usually very quick and has never said anything about hair loss. I dont see him for another 6 months.

Ok, well great to know then! I'm just not very familiar with the male reqs. :)

My goal is between 60-80g per day as a 5'4" female, totally average in everything. So I get my Protein in cuz I eat 1cup of volume per meal. In that 1 cup of volume, I can get 2-3oz by weight of dense protein in (21-30g of protein by macro content) That will fill about 2/3-3/4 of the cup of volume and still leave me with room for about 1 1/2 to 2oz by weight of a dense al dente veggie. That fills up my 1cup of volume.

So to reach my protein needs:

60-80g/day and an average of 7g/ounce by weight of protein = 8.5-11.5 ounces by weight of protein per day

Breakfast: 3oz by weight

Lunch: 2-3oz by weight

Dinner: 3oz by weight

And there ya have it. :)

36 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:
Is 60-100g normal range for a 6'4" dude though? That seems like 100g might be right, but dunno...

60 to 100 is my dieticians standard for male and female sleeves. Whatever his/her dietican sets his Protein goal at.

3 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Ok, well great to know then! I'm just not very familiar with the male reqs. :)

My goal is between 60-80g per day as a 5'4" female, totally average in everything. So I get my Protein in cuz I eat 1cup of volume per meal. In that 1 cup of volume, I can get 2-3oz by weight of dense Protein in (21-30g of protein by macro content) That will fill about 2/3-3/4 of the cup of volume and still leave me with room for about 1 1/2 to 2oz by weight of a dense al dente veggie. That fills up my 1cup of volume.

So to reach my protein needs:

60-80g/day and an average of 7g/ounce by weight of protein = 8.5-11.5 ounces by weight of protein per day

Breakfast: 3oz by weight

Lunch: 2-3oz by weight

Dinner: 3oz by weight

And there ya have it. :)

thank you I like the idea of just filling up a cup with 3/4 protein then 1/4 veggie

2 minutes ago, Healthy_life2 said:

What did your dietician set your Protein goal at?

She said 65 but it was a generic paper that is printed off for everybody I did not get me specific goals I have had to figure out alot on my own.

1 minute ago, Porthous said:

She said 65 but it was a generic paper that is printed off for everybody I did not get me specific goals I have had to figure out alot on my own.

You can always call your dietician for clarification. I'm a sleeve. My dietician set 60-100 grams for male and female patients. (all surgeons have different plans. )According to your stats you are approaching goal. Your diet plan is going to change again to maintain your weight.

1 hour ago, Porthous said:

Howdy everyone. How are you getting in enough Protein from natural sources. I am 6 months out and have never tracked my food. I just ate the foods that I was told I could eat and ate some of the recipes from here. I mainly eat meat then follow with some vegetables. I got to noticing that my hair was thinning. I take a Multivitamin already so I figure it was from not getting enough Protein. When I track my protein it is 60-70 a day but I should be getting closer to 100 I don't wanna eat more. I was told to get most of my protein from natural food, but last few weeks been eating Protein Bar for Breakfast because they are higher in protein than couple eggs for breakfast.

By the way eight months out and 167 down..WOW, fantastic!

Sounds like you still have great sleeve restriction. If you can’t hit a protein goal, you can always add a shake to bring the number up. Most dieticians want us to ditch the process shakes and bars and eat whole foods for a long-term sustainable diet. Your restriction may become a bit less as you progress. It may get easier to get food in.

Hope you figure this out. Let us know what your dietician suggests.