Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This took a lot for me to do this ,but here it goes... My name is Melissa and I'm 32 years old. I'm a stay at home mom of my 3 children (9,5,3) and a wife to my amazing husband. I got my gastric Bypass surgery August 18,2017. I worked really hard to get to the point so that I could get my surgery. I did all my classes, ate what I needed to do, and even tried to lose some weight before the big day. So the day of my surgery I weighed in at 300lbs. I was so ashamed, and couldn't believe it myself. Now I'm down to 227lbs. My goal has always been 170lbs, and you can see that I haven't reached it at all. I'm still pushing myself to get there, but I need help! The past year I have fallen into a state of depression, and it's just not good. Does anyone know how I can kick start my sleeve again, and make those 57 lbs. go away for good.

Hi, Melissa, I just wanted to say welcome! I don't have any words of wisdom as I just had my surgery 12 days ago, but stick around a while and join in the conversations. Lots of good advice here!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi! Consider a dietary version of a Spring Cleaning first then perhaps consider intermittent fasting or keto/low carb but naturally ask your team for guidance first

Screenshot_2019-03-29-13-43-40.png

Dr. Wiener on YouTube has some really sound advice and videos you might, (or may not!) find interesting. I like his straightforward no nonsense approach. I don’t know I agree with everything he suggests, but he has a lot of common sense knowledge.

Link to Dr Weiner

You can do this!

I’ve heard you can do a re-set. Go back to your post op diet

Just to clarify - If you are truly experiencing what seems to be clinical depression then it is important address your mental health and to see a therapist. Maybe the same one that helped get you approval for WLS? Maybe though you use "depressed" to express your disappointment in the amount of weight. Which is fine, I'm not scolding you for that at all.

Get out your preop Before pictures from when you were 300 pounds. Remember how far you've come and use that as inspiration as you start a new diet or fitness regimen. Pouch resets, Keto, Intermittant Fasting... maybe joining Weight Watchers or Noom - have a specific game plan to follow and not just a generalized "Im going to eat better" mentality.

Have you tried going back to the post-op diet of 600-800 calories for a while? It might reset you.

3 hours ago, KCgirl061 said:

Just to clarify - If you are truly experiencing what seems to be clinical depression then it is important address your mental health and to see a therapist. Maybe the same one that helped get you approval for WLS? Maybe though you use "depressed" to express your disappointment in the amount of weight. Which is fine, I'm not scolding you for that at all.

Get out your preop Before pictures from when you were 300 pounds. Remember how far you've come and use that as inspiration as you start a new diet or fitness regimen. Pouch resets, Keto, Intermittant Fasting... maybe joining Weight Watchers or Noom - have a specific game plan to follow and not just a generalized "Im going to eat better" mentality.

I recently have to my pcp to talk about my depression , and currently being treated for that. I really just need to kick my bad habits , and make myself do this! I know I can... I have come this far, and I can make it to my goal.

We're all rooting for you!

Make a list today.

Put 3 actionable steps on it that are just for you. No matter how big or small they are. Just put them on the list. Keep it only to 3. Then go get those things done. Check them off your list. And look at the list as you accomplish them. Finish the list before you sleep.

If I was fighting depression, I would segment it so that it didn't feel overwhelming. Such as:

1. Go outside in the fresh air for 5 minutes and do deep breathing. (Concentrate on how good it feels to feel the fresh air on your face. Mentally release all of the anxiety, sadness, and dark feelings. Imagine it lifting away and being carried up into the air and blown away on the wind.)

2. Walk either outside or around the inside of your house for 5 minutes. Just 5 minutes. Walk as fast as you can. Get your heart rate up. Listen to happy music. Walk walk walk.

3. Watch a comedy that really makes you belly laugh.

And I'd check them off and tomorrow I would do another list of 3. Keep doing it daily and build on your list but keep it under 5 things for awhile. When you're ready, focus on your diet. But right now, you need to focus on your mental/emotional well-being.

Hang in there. ((hugs))

Hi, fellow person with depression here! It can be very difficult -- and feel downright impossible sometimes -- to tackle long-term goals with depression. First, I highly recommend therapy if you don't already have a therapist. Talking to an objective person about everything that's running through your head is invaluable and can help you gain clarity on your goals. Second, take baby steps. Maybe you want to start by tracking your food intake with a tool like My Fitness Pal so you can get a handle on how many calories you're taking in. Once you feel comfortable with that, you can tackle another step -- I recommend walking, even if it's just for five minutes a day. If it's pretty weather where you are, even better as getting out into nature has mood lifting properties. And if you really feel down and need an ear, feel free to message me any time. We're all rooting for you. You can do this!

A friend of mine had the sleeve about a year and a half ago. She hadn’t lost all the weight she wanted so she started an IF/carb cycling program. She has really dropped pounds and inches! I’m only 4 months out and don’t think I can do IF yet, but if I find myself in that place later I definitely will. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk