Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A simple idea that could eventually reduce welfare and crime

Many years ago I did a stint as a welfare caseworker and ever since I have thought that it would be a great idea for the government to pay a stipend of $1500 or $2000 to every American who undergoes voluntary tubal ligation or vasectomy. This would be offered to everyone regardless of their income or circumstances.

It seems logical that very low income folks would be first in line. If you're on welfare, a windfall like that would be hard to come by any other way. Think of how this could eventually improve the gene pool.

While there are exceptions, I found the hard-core "lifers" on public assistance to do whatever is easiest without any thought to the consequences. I was the birth-control zealot at the agency but found that for some people, it is too much bother to prevent a pregnancy despite the daunting task of raising another child.

Money is a powerful motivator, though. Avoiding unplanned pregnancies would reduce the abortion rate. I used to speak to pregnant young teens about adoption and it is so disdained in the welfare community. If I had a dollar for every mother who said: "If she's woman enough to spread her legs, she's woman enough to raise this baby"........Imagine, considering a baby as a penance.....

Please don't shriek "eugenics!" at me because I advocate paying the bonus to everyone not just the poor or the genetically challenged.

I personally want to get my tubes tied, but if I wasn't doing it through my own preference, I don't know if $1500-2000 would really be enough to make me willing to have surgery.

This came up before in RnR, but it was a while ago. I can't find the thread so it may have been archived or purged by now.

N/M just found the thread, focused on drug abusers.

Man, I wanted to have my tubes tied but nobody would do it until I had had some children but the point was that I wanted it done in order to prevent this.

I've got a better way. 1. If you are on welfare, then you need to work for the government in any capacity they see fit that is not illegal. If that means picking tomatos, in order to alleviate the dependence on illegal aliens, then *poof* you can add "tomato picker" to your resume. If you refuse to work, then you lose your right to welfare. If you are unable to work, then you'd better have a nice family to support you. Excuses do not pay the bills and tax-payers should not have to give free rides. 2. However many children you have when you start welfare for the first time is the number of children you can claim for a lifetime. If you have 20 more kids, more power to you, but you aren't getting more money. The country will kust be gaining more ditch-diggers and Tomato pickers. 3. Children of welfare parents get some kind of preferential treatment for college. We don't need multiple generations of under-achievers. 4. People on Welfare can ask for but will not be mandated to have free surgery for sterilization. If they choose not to and have more kids, please see rule #2.

The 'breeders' should be encouraged by dollar bonus's to get Tubiligation.

It makes me nuts when no one gives up their unplanned pregnancies for adoption anymore. I have so many friends who desperatly want children and can't have them naturally. Some have gone overseas to China and Russia to get infants, and paid for the priveledge.

And yes, people receiving Welfare SHOULD do some type of work... even if its only folding laundry at hospitals, volunteer work something where they can gain self-esteem and work ethics...

then... get back into the workforce where everyone belongs.

just my 2 cents

<p>Everyone goes to Russia and China, because it is easier than getting an adopted child here in the States. I am adopted, and when my wife could not stay pregnant, we considered adoption (finally went with gestational carrier) and the laws and wait here in the States were ridiculous. It wasn't for the lack of children...there were plenty waiting to get adopted here in the US</p>

<p>Everyone goes to Russia and China, because it is easier than getting an adopted child here in the States. I am adopted, and when my wife could not stay pregnant, we considered adoption (finally went with gestational carrier) and the laws and wait here in the States were ridiculous. It wasn't for the lack of children...there were plenty waiting to get adopted here in the US</p>

so red tape BS. Just sad.

I think the whole welfare system needs to reworked . A woman I work with husband was hurt and unable to work for several months . She went to welfare to ask for help until he was able to go back to work . They have three small children .She was told she made to much money for them to help her but , if she would quit her job then she would qualify for help .She refused and they almost lost their home . I thought welfare was supposed to be there to help people who find them selfs in a tight spot to get back on their feet and to get off welfare as soon as possible not to encourage them to become depended on it .

I think the whole welfare system needs to reworked . A woman I work with husband was hurt and unable to work for several months . She went to welfare to ask for help until he was able to go back to work . They have three small children .She was told she made to much money for them to help her but , if she would quit her job then she would qualify for help .She refused and they almost lost their home . I thought welfare was supposed to be there to help people who find them selfs in a tight spot to get back on their feet and to get off welfare as soon as possible not to encourage them to become depended on it .

That is what sucks about the system.. that it doesn't help those that are trying to help themselves. When I separated from my first husband, I had my eight month old baby girl and was so struggling to keep it going. Between mtg, car & daycare & the rest, it was so hard. I was working at a bank and made about $200 wk. I didn't have any money for groceries and went to ask for food assistance. They told me I made too much money and the lady suggested I quite work and then they could give me help.. Isn't that stupid..

I have a cousin that lives in Texas and knows how to work the system to the tee. He and his wife have 4 kids and don't ever work or very seldomly work. But they get free housing, food assistance, health insurance, you name it, they get it.. And somehow, they have the best of everything.. if you go to their house they have nice furniture, wear name brand clothes, have flat screens and shit up the wazoo.. How in the hell do these people get away with this.. What is sad, is that their kids see this and aren't learning to work hard for those things, no work

ethic what so ever..

And two streets down from where I lived, there are some gov't homes (nice large 4 br/2 bath homes) that are subsidised gov't housing. One house always catches my attention when I passed by it. They have two brand new vehicles, a top of the line tahoe, and a Chrysler 300. And yes, they even have big fancy rims on them.. and there are always huge boxes of electronics out by the curb.. At christmas time they bought about 4 or 5 flatscreens.. Must be nice. You can't afford to pay rent but you can afford this??? Makes me mad..

Everything that my husband and I have is because we have busted our asses working for it (he more than I, of course).. But guess what, my kids see that and respect that and will hopefully be better, responsible adults because of that.

And yes, people receiving Welfare SHOULD do some type of work... even if its only folding laundry at hospitals, volunteer work something where they can gain self-esteem and work ethics...

then... get back into the workforce where everyone belongs.

just my 2 cents

I totally agree, make them sweep the streets, pick up trash, mow public parks, something.. to make them earn OUR hard earned money.

I've got a better way. 1. If you are on welfare, then you need to work for the government in any capacity they see fit that is not illegal. If that means picking tomatos, in order to alleviate the dependence on illegal aliens, then *poof* you can add "tomato picker" to your resume. If you refuse to work, then you lose your right to welfare. If you are unable to work, then you'd better have a nice family to support you. Excuses do not pay the bills and tax-payers should not have to give free rides. 2. However many children you have when you start welfare for the first time is the number of children you can claim for a lifetime. If you have 20 more kids, more power to you, but you aren't getting more money. The country will kust be gaining more ditch-diggers and Tomato pickers. 3. Children of welfare parents get some kind of preferential treatment for college. We don't need multiple generations of under-achievers. 4. People on Welfare can ask for but will not be mandated to have free surgery for sterilization. If they choose not to and have more kids, please see rule #2.

I agree completely. I also agree in the idea for a bonus for surgery to avoid children, but at the same time, a lot of welfare people have more babies on purpose, to get more money. I think the welfare system is in line with healthcare in that it's going to breakdown soon, or explode and have to be rebuilt.

I work for everything I have . I'm a single mom of two . I never received welfare ,food stamps ,housing or medical assistance. I did it all on my own and I'm proud of that . My friend's daughter on the other hand works ( I'll give her that much, she doesn't want to become a permanent employee because she wouldn't be able to miss as much time as she does ) receives section 8 which is housing assistance and medical assistance (even though she can get insurance from her job but doesn't because she would have to pay for it ) . When one of her three children get sick it's off to the emergency room instead of the dr. office .She doesn't care medicade pays for it . Meaning you and me . She has two cars and her boy friend lives with her . Some times he works and some times he doesn't . Oh yea , the state also pays $150 per week per child so she can work . What the hell is wrong with this system ?