Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

44 minutes ago, MinnieMoo said:

Hi are you UK based? Me too and I had VSG on Saturday. I am a bit concerned by how differently it's done in the US - I've had WAY less information about precise Fluid quantity/number of steps etc. How are you doing? X

VSG 27th April 2019
Starting weight 120kg

Yeah I am based in Kent, mine was on the 23rd with Streamline - How are you feeling? I feel normal for the most part unless I bend down and stopped the pain killers. Yeah I was a little worried at first too but being on here has helped alot, from all the research I've done there are varied opinions on recovery and how its done so that made me feel better and just reading what your body seems to require. I had one day where I was really hungry but now not feeling the hunger. I am aiming for about 1.5 litres of Water a day but only reaching 1 litre so far, water bottle by my side and always sipping and going for little walks throughout day. My advice said not to have Protein Drinks but the US says differently - but I don't feel i get enough Protein throughout the day so was considering having one every other day.

20 minutes ago, Jessica88 said:

Yeah I am based in Kent, mine was on the 23rd with Streamline - How are you feeling? I feel normal for the most part unless I bend down and stopped the pain killers. Yeah I was a little worried at first too but being on here has helped alot, from all the research I've done there are varied opinions on recovery and how its done so that made me feel better and just reading what your body seems to require. I had one day where I was really hungry but now not feeling the hunger. I am aiming for about 1.5 litres of Water a day but only reaching 1 litre so far, Water bottle by my side and always sipping and going for little walks throughout day. My advice said not to have Protein Drinks but the US says differently - but I don't feel i get enough Protein throughout the day so was considering having one every other day.

Hi

I’m in Wales I’ve has great care and recovering well I was back in work on the fifth day after op (3rdApril)

weight loss is really slow fir me I’m four weeks out tomorrow and only lost 6pounds

not hungry at all

Ive had no appointment with dietitian so not sure if I’m doing right or wrong really

I don’t kniw how much Protein I should be having or how to work it out

feeling a bit alone in this journey

check up is ‘May 16th so a while to wait yet

any advise you can give with how much protein the uk doctors advised you and how to work it out would be helpful for me

thank you x

Yeah I am based in Kent, mine was on the 23rd with Streamline - How are you feeling? I feel normal for the most part unless I bend down and stopped the pain killers. Yeah I was a little worried at first too but being on here has helped alot, from all the research I've done there are varied opinions on recovery and how its done so that made me feel better and just reading what your body seems to require. I had one day where I was really hungry but now not feeling the hunger. I am aiming for about 1.5 litres of Water a day but only reaching 1 litre so far, Water bottle by my side and always sipping and going for little walks throughout day. My advice said not to have Protein Drinks but the US says differently - but I don't feel i get enough Protein throughout the day so was considering having one every other day.
I feel OK really, not great but not awful. I feel very weak and I imagine that's just because I'm getting maybe 200 calories a day. I don't feel my pain is well under control - I'm really sore. I have my first check up this afternoon and am going to discuss with the Nurse.

VSG 27th April 2019
Starting weight 120kg

Hi

I’m in Wales I’ve has great care and recovering well I was back in work on the fifth day after op (3rdApril)

weight loss is really slow fir me I’m four weeks out tomorrow and only lost 6pounds

not hungry at all

Ive had no appointment with dietitian so not sure if I’m doing right or wrong really

any advise you can give with how much Protein the uk doctors advised you and how to work it out would be helpful for me

thank you x

Hello, I'm not far from you (Manchester)

I've literally just had my first review with the bariatric nurse and the dietitian. We didn't talk about protein at all, but I can tell you the advice they did give me, which may be of help to other people with brand new surgery:

* If you can't get enough Water in, try squash - apparently it's easier. I've seen lots of US people on here drinking Gatorade Zero, I'm going to buy Powerade (for the electrolytes)

* It's completely normal to be feeling very sore/weak/unwell 3 days post op. The people who feel good straight away are very lucky and really an exception

* Start taking chewable Multivitamins straightaway.

* If your pain isn't controlled by the codeine given out by the hospital, you can also have liquid paracetamol (from any pharmacy)

I feel better after the review and getting some reassurance that my recovery is going OK.

VSG 27th April 2019

Starting weight 120kg

33 minutes ago, Feelinghopefulnow said:

Hi

not hungry at all

any advise you can give with how much Protein the uk doctors advised you and how to work it out would be helpful for me

thank you x

Ah yeah this does seem to be a common theme for the UK. For the protein I am making sure at the very least it is half to 2/3 rds of each meal with lean protein like chicken, fish or lentils and then vegetables for the rest of it like carrots, potato & peas.

I found a cook book here on Amazon that I am going to buy today, so hopefully that will have some ideas, its called: Gastric Sleeve Cookbook: Top 100 recipes for every stage of bariatric surgery recovery by Shannon Henderson

Looking at guides from the US: https://www.drdkim.net/ask-the-dietitian/meal-plan/ and another one here: https://www.ucsfhealth.org/education/dietary_guidelines_after_gastric_bypass/

47 minutes ago, MinnieMoo said:

I feel OK really, not great but not awful. I feel very weak and I imagine that's just because I'm getting maybe 200 calories a day. I don't feel my pain is well under control - I'm really sore. I have my first check up this afternoon and am going to discuss with the Nurse.

VSG 27th April 2019
Starting weight 120kg

Each day in the early stages seems a bit better, I was feeling normal-ish after 5 days - Did you have keyhole Surgery? we all have different schedules on recovery, the nurses told me they once had a patient that had no pain after surgery and sent them home!! LOL! If you are feeling more pain always worth checking as better to be safe than sorry. Take it easy and listen to your body if it wants rest. Hope you start feeling better soon!

What a crazy journey we have just started! Ive been looking at #VSG on instagram and there are few really informative pages on there with diet plans, along with so much inspiration with before and after pictures :D

Each day in the early stages seems a bit better, I was feeling normal-ish after 5 days - Did you have keyhole Surgery? we all have different schedules on recovery, the nurses told me they once had a patient that had no pain after surgery and sent them home!! LOL! If you are feeling more pain always worth checking as better to be safe than sorry. Take it easy and listen to your body if it wants rest. Hope you start feeling better soon!
What a crazy journey we have just started! Ive been looking at #VSG on instagram and there are few really informative pages on there with diet plans, along with so much inspiration with before and after pictures [emoji3]
Yes I had keyhole too. They did mention that I'd bruised particularly badly. I'm only 3 days post surgery so hopefully will start to feel better in the next few days.

Yes you're right that it's a crazy journey! I first looked into the surgery in 2017 and decided to proceed, then pulled out due to fear, then decided to go ahead when it got to the end of 2018 and I was not doing any better with 'natural' weight loss. I'm mostly motivated by REALLY wanting a baby, which is just not going to happen with a BMI over 40. I've also seen both my Dad and Grandma struggle with multiple weight-related health issues from their 50s onwards - Type II diabetes, stroke, high blood pressure - and I just dreaded that being my life too. Why did you decide to go for it? X

VSG 27th April 2019
Starting weight 120kg

1 minute ago, MinnieMoo said:

Yes I had keyhole too. They did mention that I'd bruised particularly badly. I'm only 3 days post surgery so hopefully will start to feel better in the next few days.

Yes you're right that it's a crazy journey! I first looked into the surgery in 2017 and decided to proceed, then pulled out due to fear, then decided to go ahead when it got to the end of 2018 and I was not doing any better with 'natural' weight loss. I'm mostly motivated by REALLY wanting a baby, which is just not going to happen with a BMI over 40. I've also seen both my Dad and Grandma struggle with multiple weight-related health issues from their 50s onwards - Type II diabetes, stroke, high blood pressure - and I just dreaded that being my life too. Why did you decide to go for it? X

VSG 27th April 2019
Starting weight 120kg

That makes sense then, hope you start feeling more yourself in the next few days. Glad the nurse was able to reassure you about it all.

I don't blame you for pulling out as I almost did, my husband was terrified of something bad happening and was convinced I was going to die lol interestingly pretty much the same reasons, planning to have a baby in the next year or so and I was reading about all the potential complications being overweight can cause myself and the baby and less likely to conceive so it was a 'now or never' moment! The other reason was I started having issues with my knees and back which freaked me out abit and made me think of all the other health issues as I get older and wanting to have a better quality of life. The fear of airplane and train seats.... all the anxiety! 😂

That makes sense then, hope you start feeling more yourself in the next few days. Glad the nurse was able to reassure you about it all.
I don't blame you for pulling out as I almost did, my husband was terrified of something bad happening and was convinced I was going to die lol interestingly pretty much the same reasons, planning to have a baby in the next year or so and I was reading about all the potential complications being overweight can cause myself and the baby and less likely to conceive so it was a 'now or never' moment! The other reason was I started having issues with my knees and back which freaked me out abit and made me think of all the other health issues as I get older and wanting to have a better quality of life. The fear of airplane and train seats.... all the anxiety! [emoji23]
Yep I flew on a small plane last September and had to ask for a seat extender.....the shame [emoji85]

VSG 27th April 2019
Starting weight 120kg

3 minutes ago, MinnieMoo said:

Yep I flew on a small plane last September and had to ask for a seat extender.....the shame emoji85.png

VSG 27th April 2019
Starting weight 120kg

Now we know its going to be the last time that will ever happen... unless we are pregnant! :D

Edited by Jessica88
SPELLING

1 hour ago, MinnieMoo said:
1 hour ago, Feelinghopefulnow said:
Hi

not hungry at all

thank you x

Hello, I'm not far from you (Manchester)

I've literally just had my first review with the bariatric nurse and the dietitian. We didn't talk about Protein at all, but I can tell you the advice they did give me, which may be of help to other people with brand new surgery:

* If you can't get enough Water in, try squash - apparently it's easier. I've seen lots of US people on here drinking Gatorade Zero, I'm going to buy Powerade (for the electrolytes)

* It's completely normal to be feeling very sore/weak/unwell 3 days post op. The people who feel good straight away are very lucky and really an exception

* Start taking chewable multivitamins straightaway.

* If your pain isn't controlled by the codeine given out by the hospital, you can also have liquid paracetamol (from any pharmacy)

I feel better after the review and getting some reassurance that my recovery is going OK.

VSG 27th April 2019

Starting weight 120kg

Hi thank you for the reply

and the advise , all very helpful

I’m just concerned I’m not losing

hopefully it’ll start soon

Hi thank you for the reply
and the advise , all very helpful

I’m just concerned I’m not losing
hopefully it’ll start soon

I've been following lots of people on Instagram and the rate of weight loss/when people lose weight seems to vary massively. You've mentioned not having a dietician appointment but has your hospital given you at least some dietary advice?

VSG 27th April 2019
Starting weight 120kg

Woo hoo, 265 today....lost 29 pounds in 3 weeks

How is everyone getting on?

Its been 2 weeks and i'm feeling normal again in most areas although I seem to get very tired out/lighted headed from not much activity - like walking up stairs which was never an issue before... so worried about doing proper exercise.... anyone else have this or know how long it lasts?

Edited by Jessica88

That’s pretty much exactly how I’m feeling. Each day seems to be getting a bit better, though.

I miss being able to do my normal activity level. It’s been sunny here, and I am DYING to get some hikes in. My little dream is that I’ll be dandy within 2 more weeks.