Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you had to have an "excuse surgery" ....



Recommended Posts

OK so I plan on telling people close to me that I'm doing the RNY however, there are some people such as my ex husband and his horrible new wife I do NOT want to tell.

The problem is that he still comes over now and then to see the kids and I absolutely refuse to tell him I'm doing this so I need an excuse. (Basically an excuse as to why I am totally unavailable for a few days/weeks). I've already had my gallbladder removed so thats out.

Anyone have to make up a cover story with a fake surgery? Im worried that I'll have to tell certain people I had, for example, my appendix removed, and then like magic weight just starts falling off of me.

Is there even any kind of surgery that could result in weight loss??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have PCOS and crazy, imbalanced hormones... I told my super judgey mom that I'm having my uterus removed. My theory is that it covers my hormone imbalance, is used for severe cases of PCOS, and would (probably) result in weight loss as my hormones find balance. Luckily, my husband's had a vasectomy and I have an implant, so no "miracle" babies for the lady "without" a uterus. If I end up needing a real hysterectomy in the future, I'll still have my ovaries. I toyed with saying I was getting my thyroid removed, but the recovery times don't match.

I'm also going to be using this excuse with my co-workers. My husband rolled his eyes when he heard me tell my mom on the phone...but he also didn't live through the hell she put my sister through for having fertility treatments. I can only imagine her reaction to me having WLS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sigi42 said:

I have PCOS and crazy, imbalanced hormones... I told my super judgey mom that I'm having my uterus removed. My theory is that it covers my hormone imbalance, is used for severe cases of PCOS, and would (probably) result in weight loss as my hormones find balance. Luckily, my husband's had a vasectomy and I have an implant, so no "miracle" babies for the lady "without" a uterus. If I end up needing a real hysterectomy in the future, I'll still have my ovaries. I toyed with saying I was getting my thyroid removed, but the recovery times don't match.

I'm also going to be using this excuse with my co-workers. My husband rolled his eyes when he heard me tell my mom on the phone...but he also didn't live through the hell she put my sister through for having fertility treatments. I can only imagine her reaction to me having WLS.

LOL..Ive already had mine removed! I thought about thyroid too, but it seems you'd have a scar on your neck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jasmineinmymind said:

OK so I plan on telling people close to me that I'm doing the RNY however, there are some people such as my ex husband and his horrible new wife I do NOT want to tell.

The problem is that he still comes over now and then to see the kids and I absolutely refuse to tell him I'm doing this so I need an excuse. (Basically an excuse as to why I am totally unavailable for a few days/weeks). I've already had my gallbladder removed so thats out.

Anyone have to make up a cover story with a fake surgery? Im worried that I'll have to tell certain people I had, for example, my appendix removed, and then like magic weight just starts falling off of me.

Is there even any kind of surgery that could result in weight loss??

The kind that requires him to pay additional alimony for more information... You don't owe anyone any explanations

Live your lifeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

Edited by GreenTealael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am hard pressed to come up with a procedure (laparoscopic GI or esophageal repair issue? Hernia repair?)

...but more importantly, how about....

None of your damn business...I will be away for a few days!

Have the kids stay at family or friends during your surgery...no reason for him to be at your house while you are away. At least for me, po wasn't bad, I could interact with people without them noticing. It is also none of his business if/how you are losing weight...so go ahead and count your points on WW!

You are no longer married to him, owe him nothing...he is now her problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yeah. I guess it’s entirely possible just to say that I have to have a procedure done and that I don’t care to discuss it. That will just have to be good enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had an umbilical hernia and hiatal hernia repaired at the same time as my bypass. I started losing weight prior to surgery. If someone has the balls to ask me, I attribute the significant post op weight loss to the keto diet plus intermittent fasting as well as being able to exercise comfortably now that the hernia is gone. All true!

As for an ex, he can suck eggs and marvel at your mysterious progress, xoxo!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hernia, appendix, hysterectomy (unless more kids will be happening). You should be able to see visitors or drop kids off within a week, so you won't need an excuse for long. We can probably help you come up with a flawless excuse if you told us what your usual childcare arrangement is: does he usually just drop by or does he have scheduled visits?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm fully on board having a hernia repair. Why? Cuz that's what I used. ;) Bad GERD...not lying about that either. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep. I've told some outside of my trusted inner circle that I'm having surgery and no one has asked why or what for. If they would ask, I would tell them it's personal and would rather not discuss. They know they're not pray of my inner circle of completely trusted people.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK hernia it is!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Swanton_Bomb said:

Hernia, appendix, hysterectomy (unless more kids will be happening). You should be able to see visitors or drop kids off within a week, so you won't need an excuse for long. We can probably help you come up with a flawless excuse if you told us what your usual childcare arrangement is: does he usually just drop by or does he have scheduled visits?

they're teenagers so it's more a matter of him coming over because my daughter needs help with math homework. His visits have become more infrequent thankfully but he asks me to monitor my daughters homework if he'll be working late and if I'm in the hospital or recovering I'll have to have a reason why I cant do that. I think I'm going with hernia repair

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OK so I plan on telling people close to me that I'm doing the RNY however, there are some people such as my ex husband and his horrible new wife I do NOT want to tell.
The problem is that he still comes over now and then to see the kids and I absolutely refuse to tell him I'm doing this so I need an excuse. (Basically an excuse as to why I am totally unavailable for a few days/weeks). I've already had my gallbladder removed so thats out.
Anyone have to make up a cover story with a fake surgery? Im worried that I'll have to tell certain people I had, for example, my appendix removed, and then like magic weight just starts falling off of me.
Is there even any kind of surgery that could result in weight loss??
I told tell my family..I went to a weekend retreat..no body knows!

Sent from my SM-G892A using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have bypass surgery in February 2019 and have been wondering the exact same thing! My family and close friends know what I'm doing, but my issue is work colleagues. I have told my supervisor that I will need two weeks off for surgery. She didn't ask for details, but I have no doubt colleagues will once I get back--and I do not want to share it with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well I have a puckish sense of humor. For me if they pressured me, my answer would be "labial reduction "surgery or if I were male " a hair transplant on my scrotum", stun them, shut them up , turn on your heel and leave their mouths gaping open . They don't pay your bills for you, why should they be allowed to live your life for you? None yer Bees-wax, Nosy Parker!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×