Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2019 weight loss buds

On 02/28/2019 at 16:18, Joe P said:

A little more follow up. I was released this morning at ten, had a pretty good night in the hospital and would have slept better but my room mate was very sick and coughing all evening. He did not have anything gastric, just a sick person. Right now I feel OK and need to have some broth and juice. Just no energy. Lastly I have taken no pain medicine, all in all I am happy. Brooklynkay I,m happy for you too We made it
Joe how are you feeling?! I will hopefully get released today. I had an allergic reaction to my pain meds and then I had a steroid to help with inflammation. I feel a lot better today! I’m proud of us! ❤️💪🏻

Brooklyn, glad you are feeling better. Once you get to the comforts of home recovery will be better. Still on Clear Liquids and not getting as much fluids in as the surgeon requested. When I have sipped too much I get a dose of pain. I started walking my lab yesterday and boy was she happy! I bought some trimino Water to try to up the Protein and tomorrow I can go back to some Protein Shakes. I have noticed room temp water goes down better. Please post when you get home and keep up the good work!

On 03/02/2019 at 11:21, Joe P said:

Brooklyn, glad you are feeling better. Once you get to the comforts of home recovery will be better. Still on Clear Liquids and not getting as much fluids in as the surgeon requested. When I have sipped too much I get a dose of pain. I started walking my lab yesterday and boy was she happy! I bought some trimino Water to try to up the Protein and tomorrow I can go back to some Protein Shakes. I have noticed room temp Water goes down better. Please post when you get home and keep up the good work!
I can’t wait to be home! I agree with the room temp water, it does seem to go down easier. It’s surprisingly difficult to get our water intake up where it needs to be. We’ve got this though!

On 3/1/2019 at 10:27 AM, jodster64 said:

Sleeved 2/22... 7 days post-op and only down 9 lbs. feeling a little doubtful on this weight loss journey.

Um - that’s more than I’ve lost since 2/20! Congratulations!

I’ve decided just to do this “my way” and ever since I’ve been at a lot more peace. I may not be getting adequate nutrition and Vitamins but I am giving myself a break and letting my body adapt. Vitamins were making me puke so I switched to vitamin patches. I ate HALF a scrambled egg (which foamed up in my throat) so I am mostly just drinking a Protein Water and a shake here and there (but never getting in the required 60-80 grams).

I have been weighing myself every morning first thing when I wake up. I have been consistently losing a pound a day but now I’ve decided to stop weighing. I am sleeping like a freaking rock. After drinking a bottle of wine every single night for years (a habit that I slowly phased out during the weeks/months leading up to surgery) I am feeling and sleeping better than ever. I have no pain/no nausea whatsoever but a very very small capacity for food. I do get hungry now and last night I ate a pepperoni from my families pizza delivery order. And I squeezed it till it was bone dry with no oil and chewed it up thoroughly. No problem whatsoever with that. Figured if I only ate one pepperoni for the whole day yesterday I was OK.

And most exciting I have zero desire to drink alcohol. It is actually somewhat repulsive to me. I feel good now!! The first week was a nightmare. I’m doing my post op visit this week hopefully (I may have to reschedule because my car is still in the hospital parking lot from almost 2 weeks ago - three hours away). Otherwise I’m doing great. My personal goal is to get out and walk more frequently. I have been taking only one real walk a day. Hopefully none of this catches up to me because I am not following the doctor’s orders to a T but I have had to tweak it based on what I can and can not tolerate. Please don’t judge!

Anyone getting in real walks/exercise yet?

Edited by Everythinganna

One of my friends invited me out for a girls night on Thursday. She did not know that I had surgery but I told her about it so the situation wouldn’t be uncomfortable. I am not someone who goes out regularly but I am looking forward to this and also seeing how it is being out without drinking alcohol or gorging myself on food. Should make for an interesting evening!

Everythinganna: besides drinking alcohol every night and the scrambled egg, we are so similar. No judgement here! I have my post-op visit Wednesday, I’m waiting to see what the doctor tells me about exercise before I begin.

Jodster- I’m glad you feel me!

Well true confession (but I doubt you’ve done this either) but I did take three of my sons French fries and I chewed them up and spit them in the trash. I know, I know. I sound like I have some sort of eating disorder now. I have four kids, three of which are teenagers. Three of which are underweight and eat fast food regularly. The struggle is real. I will say chewing up and spitting out a french fry and was far less gratifying than I expected. Really not worth it. I am loving this surgery so far. I would never have done that in the past but I I knew if I ate a french fry there was hell to pay. So it’s definitely making me rethink my actions! And also, even though I didn’t drop 20 pounds the first week, I am very positive at the moment about my progress. Don’t want to screw that up or derail it!

Edited by Everythinganna

Last night I had an egg and it was delicious. I paced my eating, paused between bites, made sure to chew thoroughly and stopped when I felt full. But when I went to clear my plate, I ate another bite. Big mistake. It felt like my food was stuck in my chest. The feeling didn't go away for hours. I did some research and found these chewable enzymes help you break down food. Worked wonders! Just wanted to let y'all know in case you're struggling. Obviously the best thing is to stop when full, but I really didn't want to throw up. 20190302_140053.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I’ve chewed up a couple things and spit them into the trash as well I think that’s a completely normal compromise for the first month. I have been getting a 2km walk in every day but unable to sleep longer than 2-3 hours a night.. I feel like I could eat anything and I have my wife’s birthday tonight I’ll be trying 1/4 cup of wine

Good luck! Let us know how the wine goes (down).

Can relate to the egg. I woofed mine down in 2 min - no pacing. It didn’t work out for me at all. I choked on that egg for over an hour!

One thing I’ve noticed is that food goes down easier as the day goes on.
In the morning I need to drink at least 12 ounces Water or else breakfast just won’t go down.
Also, I can’t eat nearly as much as I can for lunch or dinner.
I’m to the point now where I can barely squeeze in 1/4 cup food for breakfast and about 1/2 cup lunch and dinner. PROGRESS. yay
I also make sure to drink 1 to 2 glasses fairlife milk daily to help keep up with Protein.
still haven’t even tried to eat anything other than protein.
Last night my husband and I made a hamburger casserole from a recipe from Keto daily.
Some of their recipes can tend to be fatty, but we used 93/7 ground beef and half the recommended cheese and it turned out pretty good.

9 hours ago, BlueIGT said:

I'm in Canada and that would of been part of my full liquid stage that I started when I went home from the hospital. In the hospital I got Protein Shakes, sugar free juice and Water.

Same in the United States. Low-fat yogurt is an option when you're on full liquids. 😀

15 hours ago, Sheribear68 said:

Yeah the first few days on purées are tough. Got sleeved on 2/6, and have been on purées for 11 days now and just got comfortable with it in the last couple of days.
Focus on Water and Protein and the process will eventually sort itself out.
FWIW, I feel so much better from this time last week. Pretty sure you guys are about to turn a corner with this

Thanks for the encouragement! I tried a bit more smashed egg today...I added salt and pepper and somehow the salt made it more appetizing.