Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1.5 years out - I get a cold/flu every month. Please help!

Hello!

So I am 1.5 years out from surgery, and have been getting sick with colds every 4-6 weeks. This started about 4 months after surgery, and when I get sick it clings on for about 1 week, or at times up to two weeks. It's the typical stuffy runny nose, cough and sore throat type cold you expect to get once or twice a year with a season change, but at least for the first few days of it I am prohibitively tired, as if I had mono. It is really causing problems - my job is getting tired of time off. I cannot stand to continue to be sick for 25% my life like this!

I have spoken with my bariatric team about this, as well as the general doctors I see at the walk-in when it is occasionally bad enough to warrant going in. All I've gotten is - you've lost 200 lbs and that is a huge change and a shock to your system, your immune system may be off kilter, things will even out, etc. My Vitamin levels are good, and I understand massive weightloss is a shock to the body...but isn't there anything I can do in the mean time? Anything to protect myself or boost my immune system to stop this?

I am a single mom, and I cannot afford to lose my job. I am still so glad I had the surgery and changed my life, but I can't afford to continue to get sick like this.

I feel your pain. So my motherly instants is kicking in. Go buy a ready made rotisserie chicken. Take the skin off. Put the white meat, cut in small cubes in a pot of Water. Add fresh parsley, celery, carrots, butter, salt, pepper, chicken cubes and garlic powder to taste. Let boil for 20 mins. Keep in refrigerator and when you feel it coming on, start eating a cup or two. This always worked for me and my kids to fight off our immune system being drained. Hope you feel better.

You can go the natural route:

Goldenseal as antibiotic/antiviral and Vitamin C (high doses) & Echinacea for immune support.

Probiotics (commercial form or kimchi/sauerkraut/kombucha) to return gut microbiotic balance

Check mineral levels (zinc is used in a lot of natural cold remedies)

Protective medicinal teas (research heavily first)

Switching your diet up (organic, non GMO, gluten free, vegetarian, raw, etc. to see if there is a difference)

Eliminate allergens (food and environmental like carrageenan and mold)

Ponder if it's stress or work related (certain jobs can make you ill through constant exposure to XYZ)

Run these ideas past your primary doctor/bariatric team and see what they think. Ask to be tested for everything that can cause chronic illness as well. (Don't forget STIs)

Safe Journey!

Edited by GreenTealael

I know that some side effect of eating a little over what we should causes runny nose sneezing hiccups and headache. Too much over create sweating and increase of temperature too. Are you logging in and see if you find a pattern at that same week interval when it comes on. Hope you get a hold on It. Is it your monthly visitor at that same time too?

I am a teacher, so I basically work in a giant petri dish. I have found that elderberry extract (I use the capsules, not the syrup) is a decent but not foolproof preventative, and the Zicam gummies are fantastic if you take them at the first sign of a cold.

Yes with the chicken soup! Get a rotisserie chicken, remove usable meat to use later. Crock pot the bones and scraps along with garlic, celery, and onion (leave the papery skin on the onion) and cook overnight 10 hours or so. Strain and make Soup or freeze broth in small portions to use as needed. Look up Medical Medium on fb. He's a little bit health nut but has a lot of helpful sciencey info. Stop into a Vitamin store (not GNC, find the hippiest place near you) and let them give you suggestions. Order a medicinal tea book from Amazon, they are pretty cheap. There are a lot of teas that are truly medicinal but you have to have knowledge about them (like some will say don't use for more than a week or not for people with kidney issues.) Also, seek out any sources of mold in your home. We found it once behind some baseboards in my sick son's room. And a second time in a memory foam mattress topper when same son was chronically sick again. I had an immaculate home and it still happened. Have someone do a sniff test if your nose is inflamed and see if they can smell anything.

I would ditch the wheat, sugar, and any carby crap from your diet (if it's there). Ditch all the grains. Go to a low carb diet filled with great low glycemic veg and healthy Proteins and fats. And also do elderberry extract (standardized to 5000iu per dose). I'd do 4x a day when you have symptoms, or do it 1-2 per day as an immune booster. If you can get the capsules, that's best, but if not, look for the one that is only elderberry extract and glycerin (no additional ingredients or sweetener).

I'd also look into bone broths (homemade) with lots of herbs (garlic, onion, ginger, lemon grass, cilantro, thyme, parsley--all are immune boosters) and add a variety of mushrooms (from the bulk bin). I'd eat as close to the ground and natural/no-gmo/organic as you can afford and really concentrate on staying hydrated! I'd also look at adding some kelp (seaweed) and also zinc as well as making sure you have plenty of Vit C and Vit D.

Sorry you are struggling! Being sick sucks. Also, are you in a house with any flooding or Water damage? If so, get out!