Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you have a Treat, what is it, and how often.

Ya I agree completely @SilentBottsI did say in my original post "..psst and when I'm allowed" ;-)

I love that I wil be able to have a small tiny treat if I choose and be satisfied while eating healthy and exercising. I really think it's a moderation issue; I certainly will never go back to eating sugar like before.

Congratulations on your weight loss!!!! 😎

Sea salt caramel Yasso bars... may be Greek yogurt but they still pack a sugar punch so I limit myself to only having one on those days where I am rewarding myself for not punching someone 😊
(It’s easy to ration them since they are kind of pricey. I try not to have one more than once a week.

48 minutes ago, Kay07 said:

Sea salt caramel Yasso bars... may be Greek yogurt but they still pack a sugar punch so I limit myself to only having one on those days where I am rewarding myself for not punching someone 😊
(It’s easy to ration them since they are kind of pricey. I try not to have one more than once a week.

LOL I understand those kinds of rewards!!! Those sounds YUM ..where can I find them :D You are beautiful and congratulations on your awesome weight loss!

Edited by Byefat

8 oz mug of hot chai or chocolate at night. I did try a small sweet thing as a treat initially (like a candy) but it turns out that it's over way too fast. I'm much more content when I can sip over a longer timespan. This also means that I've started viewing my coffee a day like a treat too. Little sugar, little cream, and I've apparently convinced myself it hits the same triggers as ice cream or candy used to.

I'm not really restrictive about my diet in general though. I eat a little of everything, but it's a LITTLE of everything. No fast food joints or packaged stuff, but I definitely went to a barbecue place and got macaroni and cheese, a biscuit, and a ton of brisket. I just eat a really tiny portion of it and then ate the leftovers for another four meals or something ridiculous, balanced with small protein-heavy meals for the rest of the day.

It makes for odd business lunches sometimes, but seems to be working.

On 11/5/2018 at 8:29 PM, Byefat said:

I was thinking about having one small Resees PB cup per day, as it brings so much joy and satisfaction. ..psst and when I'm allowed. How about you all? Confessions will be taken here also :D

Ok, at the risk of being hard line, I'm just gonna call the ball...the emperor's new clothes is a nekkidy birthday suit. The end.

You need to FOCUS not on WHAT you can have after surgery, you NEED to FOCUS on what you will be able to NOT have--meaning, focus on the extra help this tool is gonna give you during the honeymoon period to knuckle down and get 'er done! Seriously. The kind of thinking you're having now is stinkin' thinkin' girl. When you hit maintenance, THEN you decide how your lifestyle is gonna look.

But for now? You have a hard road ahead of you. You have 100big ones to lose before you get to call goal. Wanna know how many people are gonna actually pull that one off? Probably about 5% or less. You WANT to be 1 of the 5%.

This is NOT magic bean surgery. Ask everyone with a regain during the honeymoon period how "everything in moderation" and having a "daily treat" worked for them. LOL. Cuz um, it doesn't.

I'm tellin' you now, that I went in with a slash and burn policy. If it wasn't nutrient dense and calorically light in the shoes (lean Proteins, veggies, healthy fats, a bit of low glycemic fruits/nuts/seed) it wasn't going in my mouth. And what STILL happened despite my hard work and good intentions? You still are never 100% perfect. You cheat. You cut out forget your goal for a bit and have a little hedonistic fun. And you gain weight. So then you pull up and see that extra 2lbs and decide which is more important? Maximizing this opportunity? Or the temporary pleasure you get from a mother fuc*ing daily mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.

It is ABSOLUTELY up to you which path to take, how many detours, how many risky behaviors to prevent you losing 100lbs (which is hard but not impossible to do).

Edited by FluffyChix

38 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Ok, at the risk of being hard line, I'm just gonna call the ball...the emperor's new clothes is a nekkidy birthday suit. The end.

You need to FOCUS not on WHAT you can have after surgery, you NEED to FOCUS on what you will be able to NOT have--meaning, focus on the extra help this tool is gonna give you during the honeymoon period to knuckle down and get 'er done! Seriously. The kind of thinking you're having now is stinkin' thinkin' girl. When you hit maintenance, THEN you decide how your lifestyle is gonna look.

But for now? You have a hard road ahead of you. You have 100big ones to lose before you get to call goal. Wanna know how many people are gonna actually pull that one off? Probably about 5% or less. You WANT to be 1 of the 5%.

This is NOT magic bean surgery. Ask everyone with a regain during the honeymoon period how "everything in moderation" and having a "daily treat" worked for them. LOL. Cuz um, it doesn't.

I'm tellin' you now, that I went in with a slash and burn policy. If it wasn't nutrient dense and calorically light in the shoes (lean Proteins, veggies, healthy fats, a bit of low glycemic fruits/nuts/seed) it wasn't going in my mouth. And what STILL happened despite my hard work and good intentions? You still are never 100% perfect. You cheat. You cut out forget your goal for a bit and have a little hedonistic fun. And you gain weight. So then you pull up and see that extra 2lbs and decide which is more important? Maximizing this opportunity? Or the temporary pleasure you get from a mother fuc*ing daily mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.

It is ABSOLUTELY up to you which path to take, how many detours, how many risky behaviors to prevent you losing 100lbs (which is hard but not impossible to do).

I just asked if you have a treat. I see many here who do and have lost loads of weight, including over 100+. We are not talking about the same thing. A small treat is not the same as cheating. A small treat is just that, a Resees PB cup, 1 mini, is 44 calories. I probably won't have one daily, and I do not intend on making bad choices. But if I did have 1 44 calorie RP cup, it will not be a bad choice, and it will not be the doom of me. I will never be perfect, but I will perfectly try. and really I think you and others may be over-thinking this for me. Cheating is eating 5, or 10 RPCups, or a whole bag, like I used to. This was supposed to be a fun thread, not a chew out ::no pun intended.::: but thanks.

1 minute ago, Byefat said:

I just asked if you have a treat. I see many here who do and have lost loads of weight, including over 100+. We are not talking about the same thing. A small treat is not the same as cheating. A small treat is just that, a Resees PB cup, 1 mini, is 44 calories. I probably won't have one daily, and I do not intend on making bad choices. But if I did have 1 44 calorie RP cup, it will not be a bad choice, and it will not be the doom of me. I will never be perfect, but I will perfectly try. and really I think you and others may be over-thinking this for me. Cheating is eating 5, or 10 RPCups, or a whole bag, like I used to. This was supposed to be a fun thread, not a chew out ::no pun intended.::: but thanks.

A "treat" is something you have infrequently. As others have said, if it's a daily addition to your plan, then it isn't a treat by definition. It's part of your eating plan. I know of ZERO doctors who author into their post op dietary plans:

"...and patients my have a daily treat."

Most are pretty hard line, don't fu*k your honeymoon period up. Knuckle down, tow the line, and get 'er done. LOL.

Webster

treat

noun

Definition of treat (Entry 2 of 2)

1a : the act of providing another with free food, drink, or entertainment dinner will be my treat

b : an entertainment given without expense to those invited

2 : an especially unexpected source of joy, delight, or amusement seeing her again was a treat

And btw, glad you know better (after all 17 days of your post-op experience). :)

I wish you luck and good fortune!

10 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

And btw, glad you know better (after all 17 days of your post-op experience). :)

I wish you luck and good fortune!

very condescending and that just isn't nice or necessary.

5 minutes ago, Byefat said:

very condescending and that just isn't nice or necessary.

Not meaning to be condescending. Just stating a fact. And I'm sorry, I know EVERYONE has their own path...and I fully support that. But I do disagree with leading other newbies astray and into thinking that a "daily treat" is a good habit to cultivate. At which point you disagree which is fine, but you basically said "You know what's best." And that's true. You know for YOU whats best. But people rationalize their sh*t all the livelong day. We do. It's what got us to Morbidly Obese and got us a lifetime invitation to the Obesity Ball. Daily "treats". I will make you a bet. I bet you $10 you can't LIMIT yourself to 1 mini Reese's PB cups per day. I bet you that it will be a gateway at some point for you to go off the rails. And sadly, I will wonder if you ever managed to make it to goal. Cuz I want you to. I want EVERYBODY to. Or I wouldn't waste my time posting here to try to help newbies stay on track and get their heads in the game.

2 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Not meaning to be condescending. Just stating a fact. And I'm sorry, I know EVERYONE has their own path...and I fully support that. But I do disagree with leading other newbies astray and into thinking that a "daily treat" is a good habit to cultivate. At which point you disagree which is fine, but you basically said "You know what's best." And that's true. You know for YOU whats best. But people rationalize their sh*t all the livelong day. We do. It's what got us to Morbidly Obese and got us a lifetime invitation to the Obesity Ball. Daily "treats". I will make you a bet. I bet you $10 you can't LIMIT yourself to 1 mini Reese's PB cups per day. I bet you that it will be a gateway at some point for you to go off the rails. And sadly, I will wonder if you ever managed to make it to goal. Cuz I want you to. I want EVERYBODY to. Or I wouldn't waste my time posting here to try to help newbies stay on track and get their heads in the game.

And how again is this thread titled "Do you have a treat, what is it, and how often." leading anyone astray? Again, please do not read so much more into it than you should, and please try to refrain from the self righteousness as well. You worry about you, I'll worry about me, and just because I said I may/may not have a treat daily/or not daily, I do not believe that constitutes as leading ANYONE astray which is a bit crazy to suggest. I do not need your negativity and your lack of confidence in what I can AND WILL ACHIEVE. You will not help me or any other newbie by being rude, condescending, or NAZI.

I bet you I will reach my goals, completely without YOUR help.

Ok, no probs! And no more advice from here. :) Easy peasy.

I bid you good health.

14 hours ago, Byefat said:

I love that I wil be able to have a small tiny treat if I choose and be satisfied while eating healthy and exercising. I really think it's a moderation issue; I certainly will never go back to eating sugar like before.

The important thing to recognize is that after a few months, we are capable of eating the entire bag again. So establishing good habits, in the beginning, is vital to success. This doesn't apply to everyone. Some people maintain major restriction or minimal hunger for years, but others don't. We can't predict which camp we'll end up in.

That said, my treat is wine. However, I only have it on actual occasions: my birthday, on vacation, etc. Times that are clearly delimited from my normal life. I only eat about 800 cals/day. Using 80 of those cals on a glass of wine would be a poor nutritional choice if I did it regularly.

On 11/08/2018 at 20:54, Byefat said:

LOL I understand those kinds of rewards!!! Those sounds YUM ..where can I find them :D You are beautiful and congratulations on your awesome weight loss!

Thank you! It’s been a great journey! I buy them at any grocery store, but they have them at bjs and cosco too!

I am super careful about sugar because it really does breed a desire for more, but these make me feel slightly less guilty...

Speaking only for myself, the only thing 1 small Reese cup would do is make me want MORE and since there are quite a few in the bag I think this is a recipe for disaster at any stage of this process. I just can not keep anything like that around because I know myself --I would DREAM about that bag in the pantry and likely get up one or more times every night to have additional pieces. That brief "joy and satisfaction" would result in my feeling like a loser and a failure.

I have had a very small amount of candy a few times in the last 6 months only when we were away from home....a tiny bite of my husband's fudge from the fudge store on vacation or a couple of his peanut M&Ms on a road trip stop. I did experiment with a few Quest and ONE bars but these for me are no different than candy and they can not be available to me on a daily basis. If I could control my intake of things like this I probably would not have needed WLS.

If I am really jonesing for something sweet, I make a cup of coffee with some Premier Protein Caramel shake and a shot of sugar free DaVinci Syrup. Sip this slowly and it does satisfy me by the time I finish with it. I sometimes go in my bedroom and try on clothes that fit that used to be way too small while I drink it. It works for me.