Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you have a Treat, what is it, and how often.

10 minutes ago, MIZ60 said:

Speaking only for myself, the only thing 1 small Reese cup would do is make me want MORE and since there are quite a few in the bag I think this is a recipe for disaster at any stage of this process. I just can not keep anything like that around because I know myself --I would DREAM about that bag in the pantry and likely get up one or more times every night to have additional pieces. That brief "joy and satisfaction" would result in my feeling like a loser and a failure.

That is so me, too! If I were any good at moderation, I wouldn't have needed surgery. I applaud those who can, but I'm not one of them.

1 minute ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

That is so me, too! If I were any good at moderation, I wouldn't have needed surgery. I applaud those who can, but I'm not one of them.

Very true! Perhaps the OP should look closely at their pre op habits to gain better understanding on the likely outcome of their post op habits (they don't change instantly) sometimes you will still struggle with the same issues after surgery

Color me this, too. I don't even have a sweet tooth, but if contraband that is irresistible is in the house (salty/crunchy), there is no willpower in the world to keep me from rationalizing my "need" to consume it. And like you guys, I'm def not a saint, so when I stray I make sure to do it out of the home and when we get home it's right back to TCB (takin' care of business) and knuckling back to the primary game plan. It's the only way I can function.

1 hour ago, MIZ60 said:

Speaking only for myself, the only thing 1 small Reese cup would do is make me want MORE and since there are quite a few in the bag I think this is a recipe for disaster at any stage of this process. I just can not keep anything like that around because I know myself --I would DREAM about that bag in the pantry and likely get up one or more times every night to have additional pieces. That brief "joy and satisfaction" would result in my feeling like a loser and a failure.

I have had a very small amount of candy a few times in the last 6 months only when we were away from home....a tiny bite of my husband's fudge from the fudge store on vacation or a couple of his peanut M&Ms on a road trip stop. I did experiment with a few Quest and ONE bars but these for me are no different than candy and they can not be available to me on a daily basis. If I could control my intake of things like this I probably would not have needed WLS.

If I am really jonesing for something sweet, I make a cup of coffee with some Premier Protein Caramel shake and a shot of sugar free DaVinci Syrup. Sip this slowly and it does satisfy me by the time I finish with it. I sometimes go in my bedroom and try on clothes that fit that used to be way too small while I drink it. It works for me.

I do not plan on keeping the regular ones in the house. I def CANNOT overeat more than 1 of the sugar free RP cups per day. Its good to know your thoughts and I like your ideas of a treat, but I'm not a coffee drinker and the Premier shakes I'm grossed out with. I have noticed that I really am not craving it, and I do not believe that if I decide to have 1 sugar free RP cup/day, that will cause my demise. I understand your concern about the reg. ones, but I know even if I had them in the house I no longer want to eat the whole bag, which that part of this I am excited about. but I won't keep em just in case, lol thanks for the advice

2 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

Very true! Perhaps the OP should look closely at their pre op habits to gain better understanding on the likely outcome of their post op habits (they don't change instantly) sometimes you will still struggle with the same issues after surgery

Maaaybee we shouldn't assume that this thread is about anything more than "Do you have a treat, what is it, and how often." I feel like some people really want to make it more than that and be incredibly self righteous. It would be really nice for all of us here to stop being that way. Stop judging; people do not need to be crucified for having a different way, even if you do not agree, and maybe, just maaybee, a very small amout of chocolate is what helps certain people not go off in the deep end. Who knows? I do not claim to know what works for you, or anybody else, but thanks for your thoughts!

Edited by Byefat

Yeah, well if that's what this is all about, @Matt Z beat you to it a few 1000 page views ago. It's a hilarious and terrifying read. :)

Happy reading...

2 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Yeah, well if that's what this is all about, @Matt Z beat you to it a few 1000 page views ago. It's a hilarious and terrifying read. :)

Happy reading...

I saw that after I posted. I wish I would have never ever started this thread. 😕 I really feel misunderstood by a few. Thanks for sharing.

Well just stick around and post and show who you are and what you're made of here.

Everything comes out in the wash given time.

In my mandatory pre op group meeting the nutritionist said something that made a lot of sense later on post op. When you get WLS you can wipe your food choices slate clean. You can now decide what foods you want to introduce into your new food universe. If ice cream or candy contributed to you being obese then you can make the choice of not introduce them back into your food universe. I take that advice to heart and did an inventory of the foods that I can do without and found that candy, ice cream as well as processed foods, fast foods and sugary drinks lead me to be not just obese but morbidly obese. For the sake of my health I can't introduce these things into my new food universe. (Not even in moderation) Not mention that I am a compulsive overeater and these foods will trigger me into eating other bad foods and will eventually get me to eat badly again.

Everyone has their own take on what will make them successful post surgery but for me, I can't introduce these things into my new food universe. I have a hard time enough working on maintaining my weight loss and keeping my health, I don't need to repeat past behaviors that I know will only harm me. Food for thought (Excuse the Pun)

45 minutes ago, Byefat said:

Maaaybee we shouldn't assume that this thread is about anything more than "Do you have a treat, what is it, and how often." I feel like some people really want to make it more than that and be incredibly self righteous. It would be really nice for all of us here to stop being that way. Stop judging; people do not need to be crucified for having a different way, even if you do not agree, and maybe, just maaybee, a very small amout of chocolate is what helps certain people not go off in the deep end. Who knows? I do not claim to know what works for you, or anybody else, but thanks for your thoughts!

Not judging you, hoping for your continued success. You can do it, your way! Safe Journey

I don't think you have broken up with food yet. You are approaching wanting the treat for the 'high', that soothing feeling you get when the creamy goodness hits the back of your tongue and mmmmm you swoon.

Food rewards are a mindset you need to let go of, find a substitute that is not food now while it is 'easy' to follow the rules. I know you think we are being harsh....really we aren't trying to be mean or Nazis - we are in your corner. Hell we are IN the ring beside you fighting for ourselves and YOU cheering you on ALL the way!!! There will be all the time in the world to introduce that stuff into your plan, but there is only this window early on where it is easy to restrict and frankly if you do treats now you will lose weight, no issue so you think hey this surgery works, huh I CAN have treats and I'm losing weight. Yep. Then you will think that your plan will be how it works for all eternity. The mind can be the real Nazi.....lies lies lies it lies, it rationalizes. Trust us, we have been down that road you just got on....

Hang in there, cultivate some hobbies that keep you busy. Everyday isn't your birthday.

52 minutes ago, Byefat said:

My two cents.

People comment on posts out of concern. I think it's important to see all sides and opinions. Choose what is useful and ignore anything that may offend you.

The bariatricpal community has seen it all. You will see people posting I can eat whatever I want and lose weight. I ate XYZ and I am gaining what do I do now. People asking permission to eat XYZ, Others admit they have gone off plan and are looking to get back on track. I heard from a friend of a friend that you can eat a potato chip diet...--Ugh

Posters will give you perspective and things to think about. Not all of us will come across as warm and fuzzy.

30 minutes ago, Sosewsue61 said:
45 minutes ago, Sosewsue61 said:

Hang in there, cultivate some hobbies that keep you busy. Everyday isn't your birthday.

Yes it is! :D Ya pretty much sure I didn't get this to treat everyday like my birthday or come even within a thousand miles close to it ;-) and pretty sure a sugar free RP cup would not give me that "its my birfday" feeling even if taken everyday. And pretty sure I won't screw this up like some of you might think because I shared these thoughts, which are not even actions yet as I am following my post op phase of the diet faithfully, and if people really want to help other people here, they will try hard not patronize any one of us for sharing our thoughts. not a single one. Thanks!

ON a FB support page I'm on there was a recent post from someone who was 4 weeks out and she was at Maccas and wanted to know if there was anything that it was ok for her to eat...............

Needless to say that ended up in an "argument" similar to this one. What worried me most were the people that seemed to be enabling her and telling the people that had told her it wasn't a good choice to mind their own business, we were all fat once, no one is a saint etc