Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Jan 2019 bypass buddies



Recommended Posts

On 12/1/2018 at 8:28 PM, SimoneMonet said:

So I'm not sure if I'll be in this January group or not - here's to hoping.

I started the whole process of tests, psychiatric review, and 6 mos of monitored weight loss, etc 9 mos ago. The nurse said she submitted the paperwork on Wednesday of this week to BC/BS and it takes 15 days for review/approval.

The nurse says they (not sure if that's the doc or BC/BS of Mass) have a surgery date but just haven't told me? Is that unusual?

You'd think they would try to coordinate with me to make sure I was available work wise, made arrangements with family, etc.

I don't know if it's unusual or not but you could always call your doctor and ask. It's them, not the insurance company the sets the date. In fact, a MD can't even submit a prior auth request without including some kind of date. Even if it's tentative. It should take 15 days for the review. I'd my insurance Monday. and Wednesday if I were you. Not necessary but it stopped me from going crazy with what ifs lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, LadySin said:

I don't know if it's unusual or not but you could always call your doctor and ask. It's them, not the insurance company the sets the date. In fact, a MD can't even submit a prior auth request without including some kind of date. Even if it's tentative. It should take 15 days for the review. I'd my insurance Monday. and Wednesday if I were you. Not necessary but it stopped me from going crazy with what ifs lol.

Well I'm excited. I had asked the scheduler and she sent a note today that it wasn't going to be this year and that is ALL she said - nothing else : \. And then 5 mins after I quite literally just got notification from my insurance company that I was APPROVED for surgery - the pre-auth is for btw Jan 2 to the 23rd!! So I sent a note to the scheduling admin to let her know I was approved (of which I'm sure she's probably already aware..lol).

And yes, its the IFs that are driving me crazy. When do I start the pre-op diet, Is it going to impede the holidays, when is the surgery, ..LOL. I'm nervous AND excited. Make sense?

Edited by SimoneMonet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LadySin said:

I don't know if it's unusual or not but you could always call your doctor and ask. It's them, not the insurance company the sets the date. In fact, a MD can't even submit a prior auth request without including some kind of date. Even if it's tentative. It should take 15 days for the review. I'd my insurance Monday. and Wednesday if I were you. Not necessary but it stopped me from going crazy with what ifs lol.

I was going to say this, too. On the top of my approval letter it listed a surgery date that they submitted, but it's not my actual surgery date.

After I was approved, I asked if they could tell me when the next date available was and they said they couldn't give me that info until I was actually scheduled. Simone, maybe this is also a rule your scheduler goes by?

I got my call today—surgery is January 8!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, anonbaribabe said:

I got my call today—surgery is January 8!

hey, Congratulations!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good morning.

So I am trying very hard to do everything right with my eating.....the right foods, journaling it all, etc.
You know what I am having a hard time with? The whole food funeral thing...and it's not even ME planning the funeral, it's my freaking husband!!!!!!

My husband is laid off several times during the year due to him working in a fairly seasonal job. So that means that he is helpful in making dinner when he is home. The past week he has been making everything and anything that he knows I enjoy and will not be able to eat once I have the surgery.

Some of it I have eaten, some of it I have not. But I have been journaling it all because the one thing I am insistent on is that I will be honest in my food journal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone,

So everything went fast forward today. I got my call and approval. Surgery is scheduled for Jan. 2nd. What a way to welcome the New Year! My 3 pre-op appts are on the 18th - anesthesia, pre-nutrition, and pre-op with the doc.

I was actually experiencing that food funeral mentality over the last 9 months. Bizarredly enough, now I'm having a hard time eating after going through my last month of pre-op diet that I had to do for 6 months. I lost no weight in the first 5 months - even gained a little - and then in the last month I lost 11 lbs but I've also had a little bit of anxiety about the surgery.

Am thankful for this forum. Have lived such an isolated life at this weight. Nice to have people who understand the anxiety and being able to read everyone's challenges and successes.

❤️ Jeanne

Edited by SimoneMonet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeanne- How exciting for your date!!!!!! I will be cheering you on.

Taylor- We "might" be surgery twins.

So I had an appt. with my surgeon yesterday.

I was up 1 pound, but he didn't care about that at all. So that was good. He liked that I was very honest with my food journal and asked that from here on out, get the carbs lower.

He also asked if I want my surgery in February or January. Well duh! LOL He said that once his office submits, they tend to get approval very fast. He didn't have the OR schedule there, but said he is shooting for January 22nd as my date and if not, then the 29th for sure.

I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!

Dr. Gagne also said though that he was not going to remove my gallbladder during the surgery that he would do it later in the year.

When I told this to my husband last night, he said he is going to put in for vacation for the week of the 22nd and we will have to cross our fingers it gets done that week. Even though I told him that I really don't "need" him there, I think he feels badly that he wasn't there for my back surgery almost 3 years ago. Especially since when he got home and he saw how much pain I was in and help that I needed, he was just horrified he wasn't there.
Oh well. After all of these years, I am used to him not being here for things because he's on the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2018 at 9:41 AM, Jenwill630 said:

Jeanne- How exciting for your date!!!!!! I will be cheering you on.

Taylor- We "might" be surgery twins.

So I had an appt. with my surgeon yesterday.
I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!

Thanks, Jen! I'll be cheering you on as well!!!

I have to say I'm kind of in a nesting mode as how to arrange the 'room' I live in to recover which is my bedroom ....I also work from home and so need to make room so I can move easily around it. I also want to put things within arms reach.

I bought the compression vest? that someone recommended a few months ago in the August/or Sept pals? a few used to help with the pain and healing. Posting a pic in case anyone else is interested. I bought mine on Amazon. Just tried it on and it fits well. It's actually kinda comfy. A few were asking what size - I got a 3 XL (Weight 307 - HT 5'3" and I definitely carry most of my weight around my waist. I wanted to get it in time to return and exchange for a different size in case it didn't fit.

I am excited as well. I was getting a little scared, but now I think I'm really in the very excited mode.

48394713_554830844980358_8375192974593622016_n.jpg

Edited by SimoneMonet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2018 at 9:54 AM, greenbean74423 said:

I got my date! January 8th! Start liquid diet Christmas Day... Merry Christmas to me lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using BariatricPal mobile app

Merry Christmas to you, greenbean! Cheering you on from the sidelines. I start my diet on Tuesday the 18th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2018 at 10:23 AM, Briswife15 said:

My file should go to insurance company this afternoon! Here's hoping for a quick approval and a January date!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Crossing my fingers for you for a quick approval! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Right now I passed the pre op physical where the did the ekg. Now I am just waiting on approval from my insurance and then final decision appointment with the surgeon and nutritionist. Assuming My surgery will be the end of January sometime

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, SimoneMonet said:

Thanks, Jen! I'll be cheering you on as well!!!

I have to say I'm kind of in a nesting mode as how to arrange the 'room' I live in to recover which is my bedroom ....I also work from home and so need to make room so I can move easily around it. I also want to put things within arms reach.

I bought the compression vest? that someone recommended a few months ago in the August/or Sept pals? a few used to help with the pain and healing. Posting a pic in case anyone else is interested. I bought mine on Amazon. Just tried it on and it fits well. It's actually kinda comfy. A few were asking what size - I got a 3 XL (Weight 307 - HT 5'3" and I definitely carry most of my weight around my waist. I wanted to get it in time to return and exchange for a different size in case it didn't fit.

I am excited as well. I was getting a little scared, but now I think I'm really in the very excited mode.

48394713_554830844980358_8375192974593622016_n.jpg

Ask your surgeon because the hospital may supply you with one as well, so you'll have 2, awesome! The order my doc gave to the hospital says place binder on patient in pre-op

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×