Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On The Way To Being Banded For Life

My lap band surgery is scheduled for November 14,2007. My surgeon is Dr. Singh at St.Agnes Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland. I'm starting to get a little nervous, but I have been fighting with my weight for so long, that I can't wait to be banded. Is their anyone on this forum that used Dr. Singh? Also how long will my stomach be swollen, after the surgery, can someone enlighting me?:help:

Two weeks and one day after surgery I felt absolutely terrific--most of the swelling had gone down--and I just felt great!

As for the surgeon, I'm from Northwestern Pa... :P

Thank you, I feel alot more confident. Make33 and klpdbl how long after your surgery did you experience weight loss.

My swelling went down in a couple of weeks. I was banded end of July and I took two weeks vacation so that I could recuperate by the pool. Was so relaxing!

My port is near the top of my stomach just under the rib cage. It seems like my weight was coming off so fast early on that I didn't look swolen at all, although it felt like it was to touch it.

Good luck.

Sue

BabyCat

Good luck on your banding. I was banded in Mexico, they released me from the hospital the next day and I decided to spend the night after surgery in San Diego because I didn't want to stay in Mexico but wanted to be close to the border in case of any complications. San Diego was having the Columbus Day Street Fair or something like that anyway the day after surgery I walked around for hours. I took little breaks here and there and drank a lot of water...slowly... but I returned to work 4 days after surgery. My job is not physical. (counselor with teenagers). I did notice that for about the first 2 weeks, I got tired quicker then usual and I did go home early a couple times cause I was tired but I was able to do about 85% of my "normal" activities right away. The hardest part for me was finding a comfortable sleeping postition because of the little incisions and the port. (I am not a back sleeper, if you are then no worries). REMEMEBER that you are recovering from surgery though and even though you feel fine no heavy lifting. It is hard to remember that when you feel fine. But you will have stitches inside that need their full six weeks with no heavy lifting!! That was very hard for me to remember or even understand since I felt normal and I was helping a family member move before my six weeks were up and ended up causing myself some port pain. My port in now tilted and my doc thinks it's because I was lifting and probably tore stitches around the port. I hope others learn from my mistake rather then testing the waters on their own....:)

Preciouspup, I will be sure to remember that, because I don't want no complications. Since your port is tilted, how do you get your fills?

Preciouspup, I will be sure to remember that, because I don't want no complications. Since your port is tilted, how do you get your fills?

I am still able to get fills, it just takes a little longer for the doctor to locate the center of the port. It turned out to be okay now that he knows where my port is tilted and has it marked in my chart. It took almost 20 minutes to located the center of the port the first time and it is usually a 1-2 minute proceedure really. There was a lot of brusing and tenderness after the first fill because of him having to continue to move the needle while locating the center. No problems now. He is a really good doc and has it marked really well so it's back to to quick proceedure...No regrets just take caution.

BabyCat, I lost 6# prior to surgery (from the liquid diet time) and have lost 16 pounds since.

I cannot tell you how absolutely marvelous it is to have my weight continue to drop, without that "increase of 3-5 pounds" tomorrow! I am praying that those days are behind me and with this tool, I can control my own destiny!

Good luck on Wednesday--once there, the time will go quickly, I assure you! :P

Thank you, I feel alot more confident. Make33 and klpdbl how long after your surgery did you experience weight loss.

I lost 16 lbs pre-op and about 10 lbs the week after my surgery. I was on Clear Liquids for an entire week so I didn't have many calories that week. Since then I've lost 14 lbs. It's coming off a lot slower now.

Preciouspup, Make33 and Klpdbl thank you all for the words of encouragement, the time is narrowing down. I have three days left and I'm overly excited and nervous at the same time.

Do it hurt when you get your first fill? Being on the liquid diet for the first week.

Preciouspup, Make33 and Klpdbl thank you all for the words of encouragement, the time is narrowing down. I have three days left and I'm overly excited and nervous at the same time.

Do it hurt when you get your first fill? Being on the liquid diet for the first week.

You don't get your first fill for usually 6 weeks after your surgery. I know some docs do it sooner but my doc said the average is 6 and thats what he goes by. My first fill was a little painful because of the tilted port like I explained earlier. I don't think normally it's anymore painful then a getting a shot. Because my doctor uses that numming stuff with the first shot and then performs the fill. So I would have to say you will probably work yourself up for nothing because then unknown is always nerve wracking then you'll think wow that's it, its over...that was easy.

About the liquid diet. You are on complet liquids to begin with and from being fresh out of surgery, I didn't want to eat anyway. After that you move onto full liquids which can have some substance to it, like blended Soup. It's warm, and comforting and you can drink what you want of it and put the rest in the fridge and have more later. By the end of the two weeks I wanted food though. I think thats how you know your healing well because it takes more to satisfy you. You want to chew. But take it slow because it's a learning process.

I have 44 hours until, I have to be at the hospital and 46 hours, before I have surgery. It's getting close, after all the different doctor appointments and meetings. I'm almost banded. My surgeon said theres a go chance I can come home on the same day. If I'm released on the same day, I will make it a point to let you all know how everything went, but if you don't hear from me on the 14th, be sure to hear from me on the 15th.