Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my first NUT appt and they mentioned making sure to keep Protein levels high while dieting during the pre-op 6 month phase and I know she meant through food, but has anyone used Protein Shakes or powder as Meal Replacement prior to surgery or any liquid diet? I'm tracking my nutrition using my fitness pal and seem to be lacking in the protein department.

I searched protein in this forum and only got 300K results so I couldn't find this easily, most were about supplementing protein post-op. Thanks in advance

Quite a few people have used shakes before surgery. It's entirely up to you. However, they are very sweet and really easy to get burned out on. You'll see a lot of people complaining how much they hate them post-op because of that. Additionally, not all Protein Shakes are created equal. Some have a ton of sugar and calories. (Beware, smoothie King!) Since your stomach is still full sized, maybe try adding a snack of string cheese wrapped with ham, or a couple hard boiled eggs, etc to your 6-month pre-op diet. They're high-protein, low calorie options.

So i had egg whites for Breakfast, Protein Shake for lunch and chicken or seafood for dinner. Eat as much meat u want with lots of salad to fill u up. Never had issues during preop phase

On 9/14/2018 at 5:11 PM, Orchids&Dragons said:

Quite a few people have used shakes before surgery. It's entirely up to you. However, they are very sweet and really easy to get burned out on. You'll see a lot of people complaining how much they hate them post-op because of that. Additionally, not all Protein Shakes are created equal. Some have a ton of sugar and calories. (Beware, smoothie King!) Since your stomach is still full sized, maybe try adding a snack of string cheese wrapped with ham, or a couple hard boiled eggs, etc to your 6-month pre-op diet. They're high-protein, low calorie options.

I can understand getting burned out on shakes, about 15 years ago I did slimfast and lost about 50 lbs and by the time I stopped, I was so sick of the shakes it started making me nauseous when I smelled vanilla. Thanks for the advice.

On 9/15/2018 at 2:50 AM, Auroragirl4489 said:

So i had egg whites for Breakfast, Protein Shake for lunch and chicken or seafood for dinner. Eat as much meat u want with lots of salad to fill u up. Never had issues during preop phase

Sort of like when I did Atkins diet for a couple months in the early 2000's. I like turkey and port more than anything, but recently I've gotten into Bison meat. It seems to be even better for you than chicken since it's so lean.

Just now, Jobber said:

Sort of like when I did Atkins diet for a couple months in the early 2000's. I like turkey and port more than anything, but recently I've gotten into Bison meat. It seems to be even better for you than chicken since it's so lean.

*pork

On ‎09‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 3:31 PM, Jobber said:

I had my first NUT appt and they mentioned making sure to keep Protein levels high while dieting during the pre-op 6 month phase and I know she meant through food, but has anyone used Protein Shakes or powder as Meal Replacement prior to surgery or any liquid diet? I'm tracking my nutrition using my fitness pal and seem to be lacking in the Protein department.

I searched protein in this forum and only got 300K results so I couldn't find this easily, most were about supplementing protein post-op. Thanks in advance

Biggest piece of advice I can offer is... Don't use Protein Shakes before you absolutely have to! I made the mistake of supplementing some of my meals with shakes to "prepare myself" for the pre-op diet. Big mistake. You will get to the point where they are DISGUSTING, and you don't want to increase the timeline of that by drinking them before you need to.

1 hour ago, AshAsh1 said:

Biggest piece of advice I can offer is... Don't use Protein Shakes before you absolutely have to! I made the mistake of supplementing some of my meals with shakes to "prepare myself" for the pre-op diet. Big mistake. You will get to the point where they are DISGUSTING, and you don't want to increase the timeline of that by drinking them before you need to.

Thanks Ash, I think this sounds like solid advice. If I haven't learned that from using slimfast, it sounds like it's going to be a similar experience with these.

5 hours ago, Jobber said:

*pork

Port's good too! ;-)