Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Southern Ca. Kaiser Banders?

Ok so this is the deal, I had a PCP appt last Thursday @ Kaiser Woodland Hills, I made him send a referral to Health Education (hes cool like that) cool.gif. Anyways so I waited this long holiday weekend and made my calls this morning. I called the Health Education Dept, made sure that they received my referral and had them set me up for labs, Im having that done first thing in the morning, and then they (Hlth Edu Dept) Will call the Panorama City (The Valley) Kaiser and have my orientation set up. Which is 6 looooooonnnnnggggg months!!!!They also said that they do cover Gastric Bypass (Hell To The Naw):) Lap Banding, and the Gastric Sleeve. So thats where I am in this long journey, even though they are little bitty baby steps :blushing: I believe South Bay Kaiser is the other place where classes are held. The bottom line is, Yes Kaiser does cover the Banding, you just gotta stay on them and it will be at least 6 month I guess give or take a few days... Hope this helps Ill give the play by play as I get it

Boopie

Boopie - Congratulations! Great follow through. I know I had the same problem trying to find out if they did LB surgery last year. You think it would be easier to find out. It's also good that they are doing the sleeve. Anything is better than GB in MHO. I still would have gone with the band because it worked just as well as my GF sleeve surgery. I like that all my insides are the same.

Again congratulations and good luck!!! Keep us posted.

Vicki

Ok so I did my labs this morning and now am wondering , what the next steps are. I read the threads and they said that a Psych and Nutr appt is needed. Well my PCP has to set the appt up for the nutr, but Im able to set an appt up for the psych myself. My question is, what am I supposed to do once there:confused: Should I just wait till I get my orientation finished. Am I jumping the gun too early. Im just trynna get the steps/wheel in motion. Also what is done at this seminar/orientation? Any feedback will surely help.

Thanks Boopie

Call the bariactrics department. Our bariactric department in So. San Francisco said that the psych appointment needed to be with THEIR psychiatrist. They wouldn't let us do it closer to home. I'm not sure about the nutritionialist either. So my suggestion is to either wait until orientation or to call bariactrics. There is no reason to do all of this and then have to do it over again.

Keep in mind that ALL the Kaisers have their own little methods of operation. So this may be ok with your's. Just check before you do too much more.

Vicki

Boopie,

If they're running the lapband like they did gastric bypass they're going to refer you to the different programs.

As I've posted earlier in this thread - I jumped thru all the hoops and saw their psych (they only had one and she was in Brentwood - wasn't impressive), did their Eating classes, did the 8 weeks of classes at UCLA, did the cattle call.

I'm totally surprised they are now doing the lapband - just 6 months ago I was told that they'd never do it. Of course Kaiser was also doing "open" gastric bypasses when everyone when laproscopic so its just a case of them catching up and getting in the game plan.

My inclination is to call myself and see if they'll pick up any of my lapband cost that I paid because they didn't cover it - ha ha!

So i just assume to wait- only 1 or 2 days only though... :~) Not trynna strong arm them so early in the game, Im gonna save that "life-line" for a later hurddle Im sure will be there later. Trying the "soft" approach for now :~)

Ok baby step #2 Ive gotten my orientation date... Drumroll please!!! October 20th!!! is my date, and today is only September 4th!!! Could it have been any further:cursing: But hey whatever, at least I got one:smile2:. Now you know Ill be callin in every week to see if they have any cancellations,but when I asked, that too had a waiting list. Go figure.

Boop

Update ladies.... Well my orientation date has now been pushed up... :thumbup:Thanks to me and my persistance.. I called to see if they had any cancellations for this comming Monday, and they did!!!! Yay!!! You know Im on that phone everyday. The nurse was like "Havent I talked to you a coulple of times?" and I was like "Um yeah..." and he was like " Okay come on in Monday and Ill give you the orientation packet if you havent received your in the mail" I was like " OMG are you serious?" So Ill be showing up for the seminar @ 3Pm till 5 pm. I sure hope everything else moves this smoothly:laugh: Im so freakin happy:lol:

Subtle persuasion is the key my friend. Glad things worked out on the orientation. You'd think they would try to fill the empty slots but they only do that for the actual surgery.

Hello! My name is Janice and I am 19 years old. I have been curious about the lap band procedure for quite some time now. I know I am still young but I want to get this procedure done! The only problem is is that .. I have no clue where to start. Does anyone have some advice to push me in the right direction? It would be greatly appreciated.

Hello! My name is Janice and I am 19 years old. I have been curious about the lap band procedure for quite some time now. I know I am still young but I want to get this procedure done! The only problem is is that .. I have no clue where to start. Does anyone have some advice to push me in the right direction? It would be greatly appreciated.

First of all, do you have Kaiser? Every insurance company has different policies. If you do have Kaiser Southern California it is a LONG process but VERY worth it. This is how it goes:

1. See your primary doctor and get a referral to the Options Program.

2. The requirement for us (I go to Kaiser Baldwin Park) is that you must have a BMI of 50 or over with NO co-morbities or 35 and over with at least 2 co-morbidities. Basically 2 health risks like sleep apena, diabetes, High blood pressure ect ... but since you are so young, you might only qualify if your BMI is high enough.

3. Someone from the Options program then calls you to go to an orientation. Everyone gets to go to this, it does not mean you were accepted. The time frame on this varies with location. Your wait time can be from 1 week to a couple of months.

4. You go to orientation and they talk about the Gastric Bypass only. Kaiser does do the sleeve and lap band, but only concentrate on the bypass!! This kinda sucks, but ok.

Before or during your orientation you have to fill out a packet with alot of personal questions. I think they do this to see if you will need a shrink along the way.

5. Once you are accepted into the program (they let you know pretty soon) you wait to start the Options Program. I waited only 2 months, because 2 people dropped out and I was next on the wait list, but I hear that the wait time is 4 months and up.

6. You start the options program that last 24 week. Which is 6 LONG months. Again they only concentrate on talking about the Bypass in these classes and teach you how to count calories and Proteins and get inside yourself. Again I think to see if you need a shrink. If you miss a class you will have to make it up in order to qualify for surgery.

..... I dont know what comes after this as I am only 1/2 way done with the program. Will be done in June 2009. So hopefully the surgery is shortly after that. Hope this helps out a little. Good Luck!!

Wow, that pretty much sums up exactly what I've encountered with my program at Kaiser (in Riverside). You're right, it is a looong process.

I just got the call yesterday to start in an Options class this Friday, so I'm thrilled to finally get it going...just 6 short months to go..:) but I am so looking forward to the prize at the end. Week #1, here I go.