Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am getting extremely frustrated. Please let me know if this experience is unique to me. I am 2 weeks post op, and I have not lost any weight in the second week. I know there is a 3 week stall is it possible to have a stall in the second week. I am not getting consistent information from the surgeon about my nutritional requirements and I am concerned because I am not feeling restricted on liquids and maybe I am over doing it. I was not having regrets, but I am starting to now. Also, I am able to start purees tomorrow and not sure what I can and cant have. I have another weird situation. My primary care doctor is the director of a nutritional and weight loss program. I got cleared for surgery by his nutritionist, however she does not specialize in bariatrics. Now I need a nutritionist that does specialize in bariatrics, and the one recommended by the surgeons office says she cant treat me because I did not do the initial evaluation with her. I am at a loss because I don't know what I should and should not be doing. My surgery was uncomplicated, however getting information I need to be a success has been very complicated. My doctor's office has given me contradicting information both pre and post op, and I am beyond frustrated and in tears. I want to be a success but all I see is failure in my future. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Try to calm down. There are other options to get support and help available.

Don't worry about weight loss at this point. Many doctors tell their patients not to weigh the first month because it can be so disheartening. You can't separate out weight loss from Fluid retention and swelling at this point. Work on getting your fluids and Protein, the rest will happen when it wants to. Stressing yourself out won't make it happen any faster.

You should feel no restriction on fluids; they go right through your sleeve. You won't really feel restriction until you get to soft foods. Believe me, you'll know. You won't overdo it on liquids unless they have calories. The 64 oz. is a minimum. If you are comfortable drinking more fluids than that, no problem.

Generally, I would say follow your doctor's plan for foods, but if they haven't given you any guidance - purees are any foods that have the texture of applesauce or smoother. At the puree stage, you can have purees or anything from an earlier stage, like full liquids. So you should be having a combination of smooth Soups (can add unflavored protein powder), Greek yogurts, soft scrambled eggs, soft refried Beans, etc. or, anything that you can put in a blender. (Personally, I couldn't handle the texture of blended meats, but to each, their own.) This website has a recipe section for each stage of diet progression. You can also check out "puree stage foods" on Pinterest. That should give you some ideas, too.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

On 09/09/2018 at 11:21, Orchids&Dragons said:

Don't worry about weight loss at this point. Many doctors tell their patients not to weigh the first month because it can be so disheartening. You can't separate out weight loss from Fluid retention and swelling at this point. Work on getting your fluids and Protein, the rest will happen when it wants to. Stressing yourself out won't make it happen any faster.

You should feel no restriction on fluids; they go right through your sleeve. You won't really feel restriction until you get to soft foods. Believe me, you'll know. You won't overdo it on liquids unless they have calories. The 64 oz. is a minimum. If you are comfortable drinking more fluids than that, no problem.

Generally, I would say follow your doctor's plan for foods, but if they haven't given you any guidance - purees are any foods that have the texture of applesauce or smoother. At the puree stage, you can have purees or anything from an earlier stage, like full liquids. So you should be having a combination of smooth Soups (can add unflavored Protein powder), Greek yogurts, soft scrambled eggs, soft refried Beans, etc. or, anything that you can put in a blender. (Personally, I couldn't handle the texture of blended meats, but to each, their own.) This website has a recipe section for each stage of diet progression. You can also check out "puree stage foods" on Pinterest. That should give you some ideas, too.

This helps tremendously. I was feeling all alone in this process. For liquids I was told to be on 300-400calories, but not sure how that changed once in purees. I will try to relax a bit more regarding the process, I just don’t want to do anything wrong or to hurt my new stomach. Thank you again.

19 minutes ago, Michie_be_me said:

This helps tremendously. I was feeling all alone in this process. For liquids I was told to be on 300-400calories, but not sure how that changed once in purees. I will try to relax a bit more regarding the process, I just don’t want to do anything wrong or to hurt my new stomach. Thank you again.

Glad I could help.

1 hour ago, Michie_be_me said:
4 hours ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

Generally, I would say follow your doctor's plan for foods, but if they haven't given you any guidance - purees are any foods that have the texture of applesauce or smoother. At the puree stage, you can have purees or anything from an earlier stage, like full liquids. So you should be having a combination of smooth Soups (can add unflavored Protein powder), Greek yogurts, soft scrambled eggs, soft refried Beans, etc. or, anything that you can put in a blender. (Personally, I couldn't handle the texture of blended meats, but to each, their own.) This website has a recipe section for each stage of diet progression. You can also check out "puree stage foods" on Pinterest. That should give you some ideas, too.

I'm almost 6 weeks out and I agree with this though I'm one to weigh often. Focus on your Protein and fluid goals. I stalled at the end of my 2nd week and it lasted approx 10 days. It was frustrating but after that, I've been seeing the scale go down bit by bit.

I can share with you what my nutritionist has told me starting with the pureed stage which really was part of my first 2 weeks after the first 24 hours (which only allowed drinking Water and chicken broth) and called the Funnel Diet. If it can fit though a funnel, it is ok. Still drink Protein Shakes. Aim for 40-60 g of protein from shakes. Calories were 300-500 per day. It's important to pick low carb and low fat foods. You really want feel restriction on this state or with pureed however, I was allowed to start scrambled eggs during the 2nd week. My weeks 3-4 were textured and soft foods which included anything I had already eaten and I could add 1/4 c of textured foods like ground/shredded meats, fish, etc. The guideline was that if you can mash it with a fork, you can eat it. Chew, Chew, Chew. The calories were 400-700 and still get 40-60 grams of protein through shakes and 64 oz of water. After week 2 is when I was told to start with supplements and Vitamins. The next stage came at week 5 and it really was not much different than week 3-4 except My protein went to 60-90 and I was told to try to get most of my protein from food. I only drink 1 shake per day now. I'm not supposed to drink 10 min before, during ,or 20 minutes after a meal. (some people are 30) I have a list of foods to avoid and am sticking with that at least until I get closer to my goal weight and then I will eat some of the foods from time to time or on special occasions. The other tip I was given is to aim for my carb grams to not exceed protein grams at every meal and snack.

Good luck and you will be moving to real food pretty quickly!

10 hours ago, photogirl70 said:

I'm almost 6 weeks out and I agree with this though I'm one to weigh often. Focus on your Protein and fluid goals. I stalled at the end of my 2nd week and it lasted approx 10 days. It was frustrating but after that, I've been seeing the scale go down bit by bit.

I can share with you what my nutritionist has told me starting with the pureed stage which really was part of my first 2 weeks after the first 24 hours (which only allowed drinking Water and chicken broth) and called the Funnel Diet. If it can fit though a funnel, it is ok. Still drink Protein Shakes. Aim for 40-60 g of Protein from shakes. Calories were 300-500 per day. It's important to pick low carb and low fat foods. You really want feel restriction on this state or with pureed however, I was allowed to start scrambled eggs during the 2nd week. My weeks 3-4 were textured and soft foods which included anything I had already eaten and I could add 1/4 c of textured foods like ground/shredded meats, fish, etc. The guideline was that if you can mash it with a fork, you can eat it. Chew, Chew, Chew. The calories were 400-700 and still get 40-60 grams of protein through shakes and 64 oz of Water. After week 2 is when I was told to start with supplements and Vitamins. The next stage came at week 5 and it really was not much different than week 3-4 except My protein went to 60-90 and I was told to try to get most of my protein from food. I only drink 1 shake per day now. I'm not supposed to drink 10 min before, during ,or 20 minutes after a meal. (some people are 30) I have a list of foods to avoid and am sticking with that at least until I get closer to my goal weight and then I will eat some of the foods from time to time or on special occasions. The other tip I was given is to aim for my carb grams to not exceed protein grams at every meal and snack.

Good luck and you will be moving to real food pretty quickly!

Thank you for your response it does help.