Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

There is so much more about me than just weight-loss surgery... Very Long!

Yayyyyyy!! I’m so happy everything went better than expected. You have a great outlook on life and you’re so motivating for others. I wish you a speedy recovery buddy ((Big Hugs)) 😉

10 hours ago, macadamia said:

Is this a good look for me?

IMG_9843.JPG

Maybe don't use this one on your dating profile?

So happy to hear they could do everything laparoscopically and that you're having less pain than expected. What a bonus! And even being able to tuck in shirts - it's really about the little things, isn't it?

Edited by Orchids&Dragons

5 hours ago, Ed_NW said:

Bugs the heck out of me to think they're just trying to make money off of me. The place where I did my sleep study lost my records so my insurance was trying to make me do a new sleep study as a prerequisite to getting my WLS. I think I found a way around it.:)

Ed

I did an at home one first and which was with this wrist monitor.. and they said that came back that i had mild sleep apnea.. HMMM.. then they made me do the in-house one this week. I agree think its a way to make money out of insurance as i have not had to pay a penny out of pocket for any of that. They got my insurance to approve before i did them.

4 hours ago, wanda247 said:

Yayyyyyy!! I’m so happy everything went better than expected. You have a great outlook on life and you’re so motivating for others. I wish you a speedy recovery buddy ((Big Hugs)) 😉

Thank you so much! It's awesome that you've been following my progress and giving me so many hugs. I love it! Here you go, my friend. {{{{{hugs}}}}}

Keep your progress up too and let us know how you are doing, please! :D

20 hours ago, Svdlux23 said:

I just got a cpap machine and hate it. I don't have issues sleeping but my surgeon is making me use it for 90 days. I don't get it but its just not working for me at all. it was my 3rd night with it last night and i took it off after an hour. I guess this has something to do with insurance approval maybe? I got the nasal pillow too but can't stand wearing it..

It takes a bit to get used to it. Once I got used to it, I now cannot sleep without it. It sounds like you are pissed because you think they are just trying to do something that isn't necessary or something where they are just trying to get more money from the insurance company. Many morbidly obese people have some form of apnea. Not everyone but many do. The doctor is experienced with the conditions that lead people to weight loss surgery and is just covering all of the bases. Give it some time and you may see better results. In the beginning, I could not wear it for very long either. It is a weird sensation to have something on your face at night. It does work. I can attest to that.

I see you are very close to your surgery date. Otherwise, I'd also suggest that you get a second opinion on anything that you are thinking they are ordering unnecessarily.

Good luck to you!

19 hours ago, Svdlux23 said:

That's good its worked for others.. i have no trouble sleeping though. I did the sleep study earlier this week and they gave me the cpap before i even did the study! Like I said I think its an insurance requirement issue.. ugh.

It is not about having trouble sleeping, it is about the number of episodes per night you have with breathing. Many times you will not even know that it is happening and your significant other may not notice either. When I had my first sleep study, I felt like I was sleeping well but found out that I had on average 35 episodes per hour. This is very high, so they prescribed C-pap for me. This is the one that a full-face mask was used. I used it for a couple of years then stopped. When I arrived out in Idaho, my gastroenterologist asked me if I had any trouble sleeping and I said not really but I used to use C-pap. He referred me to a sleep doctor and I had the take-home sleep test (wrist monitor). This machine said I had 72 episodes per hour and again, I was given a different machine with newer technology and a nicer humidifier. I got the nasal pillows this time and when I started using it, I slept better than I ever thought I could. I've been using it ever since. I cannot sleep without it.

17 hours ago, Bari_KS said:

Andy, congratulation on your successful surgeries. Glad to hear both were done laparoscopicically. Wish you quick recovery!

Looking forward to my VSG!

Thank you very much for the kind words! I appreciate it! I am glad too that they were done laparoscopically. The pain and trauma to my abdomen is much less and hurts much much less.

So glad to hear you're in a less pain. I'm a nurse at VA hospital, i saw a word "Navy" in your first post and followed your progress since. Reading your posts is very inspirational

2 hours ago, macadamia said:

Thank you very much for the kind words! I appreciate it! I am glad too that they were done laparoscopically. The pain and trauma to my abdomen is much less and hurts much much less.

One thing I've learned by watching the amount of YouTube videos that I have leading up to my WLS is how rapidly medical technology has advanced. I'm sure you've experienced this first hand given your medical history. All of the laparoscopic and robotic procedures that are used now cut back the recovery time in a big way. Soon,they will just slap us on a conveyor belt and spit us out on the other side with perfect results. "Meet George Jetson, his boy Elroy" :D

On 9/5/2018 at 5:00 AM, macadamia said:

So, I have promised to share my story with anyone who is interested. I’m not simply a bariatric surgery patient

Andy, your courage and stamina are beyond comprehension. A lesser person might have just surrendered and given up. I respect your candid and unvarnished story, and feel privileged that you would share it with this group. I hope you stay in the group as we go along, this motley group of strangers-turned-friends by a common cause, finding solice and support and periodic ass-kicking when needed. You are AWESOME. Since you invited Qs, I'm wondering how the foods you can eat will impact the WLS surgery and life going forward.

3 hours ago, Bari_KS said:

So glad to hear you're in a less pain. I'm a nurse at VA hospital, i saw a word "Navy" in your first post and followed your progress since. Reading your posts is very inspirational

Thank you for your service to our service men and women! When is your sleeve?

More thoughts: we all are benefiting from marvelous medical progress -- 20 years ago all these surgeries you have had might have taken an even greater toll on your system; are you self-employed, Andy? Your hospital stays must have impacted your job quite a bit. And most importantly, I'm so relieved your double surgery went so well and you seem to be doing just fine. You are due for some better days, friend! Big hugs to you!! We are truly living in a "treat 'em & street 'em" world these days...

Edited by nibble
typo

Thank you for your service to our service men and women! When is your sleeve?

I have no surgery date yet. One more visit of med.supervised diet this month.

5 hours ago, Ed_NW said:

One thing I've learned by watching the amount of YouTube videos that I have leading up to my WLS is how rapidly medical technology has advanced. I'm sure you've experienced this first hand given your medical history. All of the laparoscopic and robotic procedures that are used now cut back the recovery time in a big way. Soon,they will just slap us on a conveyor belt and spit us out on the other side with perfect results. "Meet George Jetson, his boy Elroy" :D

I just hope the bedside manner of the doctors stay like they are. I do not want to see it become an assembly line.

3 hours ago, Bari_KS said:

I have no surgery date yet. One more visit of med.supervised diet this month.

Ok, well, hang in there. Keep up your pre-op phase and keep asking questions. The more you know, as they say... Most everyone here is willing to help and chat and talk about their successes and struggles. I've found it to be pretty open here. I like most of the content too.