Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

There is so much more about me than just weight-loss surgery... Very Long!



Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, AshAsh1 said:

So glad you shared your story! Good luck tomorrow, I will be thinking about you and your surgeons!

Thank you for saying so! You have been such an inspiration to me since I came here. Your posts are always informative and well written. I appreciate what you bring to this forum. (-:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, FLHappyGirl said:

Thanks for sharing your story! You have had a difficult journey. I will be thinking of you tomorrow and wish you much success in this next step. You've got this! :)

Thank you very much! I appreciate it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, iluvbears42@yahoo.com said:

I hope both surgeries work for you. Good luck.

Thank you! I am confident they will and I will be much better off for going through with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, macadamia said:

Thank you for saying so! You have been such an inspiration to me since I came here. Your posts are always informative and well written. I appreciate what you bring to this forum. (-:

Well, thank you... making a girl blush over here. But seriously, keep us posted on how it goes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Christabelle said:

Thank you for sharing your story! I'll be be praying for you and that your surgeon is able to it laparoscopically tommorow!

Thank you! If the bariatric surgeon can do it laparoscopically, great! However, if he cannot, at least the skin he will be cutting through has never been cut through before. My upper abdomen is virgin when it comes to surgery. This will make for an easier recovery than the lower abdomen, where I have been opened three times prior and have a lot of scar tissue.

And, the bariatric surgeon really does not want to do it open. He says it makes his job much more difficult. They have perfected the surgery to be done laparoscopically and the tools work much better when used that way. They do not work as well when they are not locked within a trocar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AshAsh1 said:

Well, thank you... making a girl blush over here. But seriously, keep us posted on how it goes!

Oh, if only... :P

you know I will...

Edited by macadamia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! Am I rooting for your success with this all!!!! Prednisone is a cruel cruel (and miraculous) drug! And so is digestive diseases. I'm so sorry you've suffered and felt like you had to do this alone without a life partner. I pray this is the answer for final relief!!!

I know you've probably tried all things, but what happens when you go to a really pure diet of only protein/fat and very select veggies. NO gluten or things that cross-react with gluten (including dairy). Do you see any improvement at this point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Wow! Am I rooting for your success with this all!!!! Prednisone is a cruel cruel (and miraculous) drug! And so is digestive diseases. I'm so sorry you've suffered and felt like you had to do this alone without a life partner. I pray this is the answer for final relief!!!

I know you've probably tried all things, but what happens when you go to a really pure diet of only protein/fat and very select veggies. NO gluten or things that cross-react with gluten (including dairy). Do you see any improvement at this point?

Thank you! Prednisone is the worst drug I've ever had the misfortune of taking. If you look at the photos, all of the stretch marks are because of Prednisone. When it was first prescribed, I was on an ultra-high dose. I gained over 75 pounds in about three weeks. My skin never recovered. A couple of years later when the doctor said I needed to take it again, I said no way. That was when I opted for the first surgery back in 1995. It is the only drug that has ever made me rage. I was a mess when I was on it. Aside from the weight gain, I was so short-fused no one could stand to be around me. Once I stopped taking it, that all went away. IMHO, Prednisone is evil, plain and simple...

As for the keto diet, I've tried it and the high fat made me ill and gave me acne really bad. I'm basically doing a modified keto, modified Atkins, which is high Protein and low carb. It has helped so far.

Edited by macadamia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I was on prednisone for most of my first 11 years of life due to a blood disease that is very similar to leukemia. By 13 I had full-blown PCOS and was already starting to express some Cushing's Syndrome features. When I was in my 30s my asthma went out of control when I moved back to Houston and I was again on large dose of it both oral and inhaled. Instant 130lb gain within 1 year. Oh boy, such stretchies on my tums. But good news is they have mostly gone away with weight loss. So maybe you will experience the same?

((hugs)) and thanks for sharing your story and journey! You are inspirational.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Yeah, I was on prednisone for most of my first 11 years of life due to a blood disease that is very similar to leukemia. By 13 I had full-blown PCOS and was already starting to express some Cushing's Syndrome features. When I was in my 30s my asthma went out of control when I moved back to Houston and I was again on large dose of it both oral and inhaled. Instant 130lb gain within 1 year. Oh boy, such stretchies on my tums. But good news is they have mostly gone away with weight loss. So maybe you will experience the same?

((hugs)) and thanks for sharing your story and journey! You are inspirational.

Wow, you've had a tough road too! It would be nice if my stretch marks went away, but I doubt they will. I've lost weight in the past and they never did. We'll see about this time, but I think they are here to stay.

Thank you for saying so! {{{hugs}}}

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, macadamia said:

Wow, you've had a tough road too! It would be nice if my stretch marks went away, but I doubt they will. I've lost weight in the past and they never did. We'll see about this time, but I think they are here to stay.

Thank you for saying so! {{{hugs}}}

After carrying twins full-term, I can tell you that they will shrink and get pale, which is far less noticeable!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

After carrying twins full-term, I can tell you that they will shrink and get pale, which is far less noticeable!

Ok, I'll remain optimistic. It will be interesting to see what I look like when I meet my goal. The last time I weighed close to 200 pounds was when I joined the Navy. I entered boot camp at 196 pounds with a size 37" waist and left boot camp 10-weeks later at 196 pounds, but with a 34" waist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Featured Surgeons

    1. Masoud Rezvani

      Woodbridge, Virginia 22191

    2. Lisa Medvetz

      Downingtown, Pennsylvania 19335
      800-282-0066

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • christa_reid

      Hi I  am new here and I am going to have the gastric sleeve next month. I have to pay out of pocket so it is going quite quickly. The longer I wait the more bad stories I hear. I weigh 315 and 61 years old so I have a lot to lose. Any advice is welcome
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • ProudGrammy

      Georgia on my mind - off to grand-daughters high school graduation - she's smart and cute as a button, just like her grammy,☺️
      kathy
      · 2 replies
      1. SusieQ2019

        Congratulations to her Proud Granny, and wishing her a bright and successful future.

      2. Orchids&Dragons

        Congrats to your granddaughter! Have a wonderful trip!

    • *Meaghan*

      Went to my initial consult with the Bariatric surgeon/ program I chose. Came home with a folder full of information & helpful organization of all the testing that needs to be completed while I complete the required nutritional counseling. She also let me know my insurance typically takes 6 weeks to reply with authorization when submitted, so that puts my potential surgery date near the new year if all stays on track  I felt comfortable with her, in our discussions she agrees that I am a good candidate for the Gastric Bypass. I appreciated the 'introduction' class that was given after the consult with the surgeon where I was given this binder of every referral (from her, not my pcp referrals), & contact information for all the testing needed to make my contacts/calls tomorrow morning even easier I start my nutrition classes on June 5th, so that's when the clock will start toward insurance approval & getting the tool to help me reach my goals
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Torie Faye

      I had my Bypass Surgery on 04/25/2019 I'd weighted before surgery 308 and now 285. I get depressed because I thought it would be more. I follow all instructions from Dr.. Green walk every day work out and eating solid foods 
      · 1 reply
      1. ProudGrammy

        welcome welcome - 23 lbs pre/post op is great. you are doing fine. keep up the good work. kathy

    • MrsGamgee

      Day 5 post-op... didn't sleep great last night, lots of gas pain and it was my first night without using the rx pain meds. I'm tired and feeling rather stupid. My nurse is supposed to call today for a check in, so I'm debating taking a nap now and risk missing her call, or forcing myself to stay awake and pray she calls soon. Also, showering should be considered a workout... just doing the basics used up all my energy. Weight is slowly working its way down. I know that I shouldn't be on the scale yet, but I couldn't resist. I'm down almost 9lb down since surgery. Yay!
      · 1 reply
      1. Emilia Danciu

        You are allowed to feel tired, take naps and only do the minimum this soon after the surgery. Listen to your body and be good to yourself at this time. Most important things to care about at this time is hydration and protein. It is a full-time job to stay on top of that and prioritize your energy there for now. Just give your body the time to heal and adjust, don’t rush the recovery.

  • Trending Topics

  • Magazine Articles

    1. Keto and Bariatric Surgery

      Posted in: Food & Nutrition
      Lisa Kaouk, RD & Monica Bashaw, RD
    2. Little known facts about losing weight after bariatric surgery

      Posted in: Post-Op Support
      Lisa Kaouk, RD & Monica Bashaw, RD
    3. Carbs After Bariatric Surgery?

      Posted in: Food & Nutrition
      Lisa Kaouk, RD & Monica Bashaw, RD
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×