Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

There is so much more about me than just weight-loss surgery... Very Long!

LoseIt! app weight trend from yesterday before surgery... The weight from June 29, 2018, is the first official weigh-in at my bariatric surgeon's office. 42.4 pounds and counting!

IMG_9845.jpg

So, apparently, my surgery went very well. The bariatric surgeon did his part of the procedure first and was able to do it laparoscopically. He told me at the pre-op appointment that I had a hiatal hernia and that he would repair it during the surgery. I forgot to ask him if it was repaired. I’ll ask today when I see him or his team.

The colo-rectal surgeon, much to my surprise, was also able to do all of his work laparoscopically. I was expecting it to be an open procedure, which is very painful and takes many months to heal. My pain is virtually nonexistent. The colo-rectal surgeon did have to repair a hernia between my old ostomy site and the new one, and that is where the majority of my pain is. The new ostomy is much higher than I had expected, so I will actually be able to wear shirts with them tucked in. This is huge for me. I think untucked shirts look sloppy and I've had to look sloppy since last August.

I’ve been drinking my Water 60ml (two plastic pill serving cups) at a time, about every 15 minutes. Last night for dinner, I had extremely salty beef broth and SF lime Jello. I had about 3 spoonsful of the broth and half of the jello. I felt full although the sensation of being full was different than what I remember from before the surgery. This morning for Breakfast, I had vegetable broth, which I ate two spoonsful of, and lime jello, which I ate all of it. They also brought me a Protein Shake, which I had the nurse take back because it is not on my phase 1 diet. (-:

I walked two times yesterday and already one time this morning. I walked 0.5 miles on the second walk yesterday and the one today. That is if my Apple Watch workout app is accurate.

Congrats on the success of your surgeries and the fact your feeling and doing so well. I guess with what you've been through this is a walk in the park. Very excited to follow your success and see your transformation.

2 hours ago, macadamia said:

Is this a good look for me?

IMG_9843.JPG

I always say I'm putting on my scuba gear when I strap on the cpap mask (haha). I'm glad you made it through surgery and hopefully on your way to a new you.

10 minutes ago, J San said:

Congrats on the success of your surgeries and the fact your feeling and doing so well. I guess with what you've been through this is a walk in the park. Very excited to follow your success and see your transformation.

Thank you very much. That is kind of you to say. The colo-rectal surgeon came in this morning and said he was astonished that he did not have to do his part open. He removed scar tissue on my small intestines in areas where I have had small bowel obstructions in the past and moved the ostomy up to the new location. He also said the bariatric surgeon did the hernia repair on my abdomen (I had assumed it was the colo-rectal surgeon). He is also very happy with my progress so far.

5 minutes ago, LynnV1964 said:

So happy it’s all going well for you!

Thank you very much, I appreciate it! :)

5 minutes ago, Ed_NW said:

I always say I'm putting on my scuba gear when I strap on the cpap mask (haha). I'm glad you made it through surgery and hopefully on your way to a new you.

I used to have a full-face mask and it looked very much like a half-respirator that painters use. I hated that set-up. I had trouble with air leakage and had to overtighten it so much I had marks on my forehead and around my nose all the time. The nasal pillows I use now are very comfortable. The only issue now I have is with the chin strap to keep my mouth closed while I sleep. I had to adjust it for the first time last night to get a better fit.

Thank you very much for your kind words. I appreciate it!

I've used a cpap or bipap for about 10 years now. I've tried the half mask and some other masks and they all left marks and sometimes sores. The nasal pillow is the only one I can use. The fact that a machine blowing air up your nose will give you relief from sleepless nights still amazes me. I wish I had one when I was a teenager.

I just got a cpap machine and hate it. I don't have issues sleeping but my surgeon is making me use it for 90 days. I don't get it but its just not working for me at all. it was my 3rd night with it last night and i took it off after an hour. I guess this has something to do with insurance approval maybe? I got the nasal pillow too but can't stand wearing it..

I felt the same way when I 1st got mine. I did not think it was really a thing that would work. This was also prescribed by my surgeon during the pre-op process. I had been prescribed a sleep test by my PCP at least 3 times but I did not want to do it. Give it time, it will grow on you and it will more than likely be a benefit. It was for me. I had issues sleeping period. I was lucky to get 4 hours in one night and it was restless. I now sleep sound evry night and get usually 7 hours a night.

My son did the sleep study and was given a CPAP machine with the nasal pillow mask. It didn't work for him and he would knock it off of his face while sleeping. He ended up going back for a video taped sleep study and they changed him to a BIPAP machine and a full face mask and the quality of sleep he gets now changed his life according to him. I think if you have a serious problem with sleeping you can work with the sleep Dr. until they get it right. It could be that you sleep fine and they are just doing the typical judging a book by it's cover diagnosis.

That's good its worked for others.. i have no trouble sleeping though. I did the sleep study earlier this week and they gave me the cpap before i even did the study! Like I said I think its an insurance requirement issue.. ugh.

That's good its worked for others.. i have no trouble sleeping though. I did the sleep study earlier this week and they gave me the cpap before i even did the study! Like I said I think its an insurance requirement issue.. ugh.
Bugs the heck out of me to think they're just trying to make money off of me. The place where I did my sleep study lost my records so my insurance was trying to make me do a new sleep study as a prerequisite to getting my WLS. I think I found a way around it.:)

Ed

Andy, congratulation on your successful surgeries. Glad to hear both were done laparoscopicically. Wish you quick recovery!

Looking forward to my VSG!