Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 2018 Sleevers

@notmyname & @jflower88 - I'm tomorrow too. Nervous and a little scared about how things are going to be afterwards but I know this is what I need to do and that I've already put this off for too long.

20 minutes ago, Bmanns01 said:

I'm tomorrow too. Nervous and a little scared about how things are going to be afterwards but I know this is what I need to do and that I've already put this off for too long.

Your right. This is what I need. Just counted and I take 15 different medications, I'm hoping to cut that list in half. I'm anxious and excited. we have this!

On 10/27/2018 at 3:41 PM, josh m said:

Just wanted to come on and say hi . I’m obviously new here . I am 3 weeks post sleeve . My surgery weight was 289 I’m currently at 266 . Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated

Hi Josh, I am also 3 weeks post-op. I had surgeries on the 5th. I had to have several at once though. My doctor told me at my two week visit that I could eat whatever I wanted but to take it slow and see how my body was going to do with it. He said they tell us not to eat because everyone is different and they don't know how much we are going to swell up. The swelling interferes with our digestion he said. But he said I was doing good so I could eat what I felt able to. He said my body would let me know if I shouldn't eat something...with a funny grin on his face. :) he is really awesome. I have only lost about 15 pounds so I dont think I am doing so good there. I think it's because I am not getting enough Protein in so I am trying to do better about that. Good luck!

On 10/8/2018 at 9:19 PM, JulieL123 said:

Hey guys! I wanted to chime in since I have been reading and not participating. I had surgery Oct 2nd and would love to connect with a few people. My process to get to surgery was rather quick and was not required to do the psychological exams/nutritional classes that seem to be the norm. I had my initial consultation on September 12th and my surgery date scheduled shortly after. I had been contemplating this for years, and had spent tons of hours researching and what not. My pre op diet was 7 days of Clear Liquids (with Protein shakes) which was difficult. I wasn’t necessarily overly hungry but more just wanting to chew. I was not enjoying the Protein drinks at first but eventually threw in the towel and got hungry enough I guess. I had to go on a work trip for my fiancés company (getting married in January) which was a trip for the management teams/ execs spouses to meet in Marco Island Florida.) Now that was tough!! Banquet dinners and cocktail hours but I made it through and staying busy might have helped the time pass on liquids. I was very very nervous for surgery. My sleeve surgery was under and hour and was discharged a few hours later after drinking a certain amt, walking, and using the bathroom. Upon waking up the pain was pretty bad but they immediately gave me more pain medicine and I felt ok. The one thing I was not expecting was that I could not use my stomach muscles at all for 2 days. I could barely get up from laying down I felt like a turtle on its back. It is getting better every day and I would say the 3rd day so much better. The gas pain was like nothing I have never felt before but it would subside when I would walk. Had the worst diarrhea and stomach cramps the second night. The first few days are just not fun but the pain meds help tremendously. Day 4 I had a lot of reliefs all around and day 5 and 6 have been remarkably better. Be careful shampooing your hair, it pulled my stomach a little and made me light headed. The first 2-3 days I could barely drink protein and now it is not a problem at all. Water is the hardest thing for me to drink at this point which is so odd to me.. it hurts in my chest. Yesterday my appetite came back and was wanting some flavor and I ordered Pho broth and that was a life savior. I’m not sure if it’s more mental or I was actually hungry. It was pretty salty so I didn’t have much but it helped me a lot. Tomorrow I start on blended Soups and very excited for some flavor. I hope I didn’t scare anyone but I just want to be real about the pain. I know it’s all going to be worth it. I’m down 20 lbs from preop liquids to today and that feels good! I have my follow up appt today and everything was good. Good luck to everyone having surgery!! Please reach out for any questions, would love to help.

I had my first dr apt September 17th, and my surgery October 5th. I only had to do about two days pre-op liquids only, thankfully! I was blessed to process through everything so quickly. I'm 47, I didn't have the 40BMI, but I have sleep apnea so that qualified me. I was told by my doctor at my two week visit that I could eat whatever I wanted because my body would let me know if I shouldn't be eating something. I was thankful for that too. I think it saves on all the mental stress so many people go through. I had to have my gallbladder removed and hienal hernia fixed all at the same time as my sleeve. I was in a lot of pain after surgery too. Where they detached my esophagus from the surrounding tissues hurt the worst. I hurt in my chest and back because of it. I'm doing good though and went back to work one week post-op. I hope I do well at this, but I know I have to increase my protein. I already drink a lot of Water so that hasn't been a problem for me. Good luck!

7 hours ago, lesalung said:

I had my sleeve surgery on October 22 too! I feel great almost a week post op, but I am ready to get off the liquids!!!

I had my surgery the 23rd and just like you I feel good too. I walked a lot today, I don’t have much pain, just a twinge here and there. I still have that lump due to gas and can’t wait for that to dissapate. But I’m taking in all liquids and Vitamins just fine. That’s great everything is going well for you. I’m fine with Clear Liquids but will do better with Protein Shakes because it’s has a bit more substance.

7 hours ago, JennieJuniper said:

On a good note.. went to Kohl’s and I’m down two sizes in my pants!! Donating all my good slacks that are too big to charity. I’ve got three big bags full of clothes that don’t fit :) I was sleeved Oct 1

That’s fantastic! Congrats on the weight loss!

Edited by llhill

3 hours ago, mommytina said:

Hi Josh, I am also 3 weeks post-op. I had surgeries on the 5th. I had to have several at once though. My doctor told me at my two week visit that I could eat whatever I wanted but to take it slow and see how my body was going to do with it. He said they tell us not to eat because everyone is different and they don't know how much we are going to swell up. The swelling interferes with our digestion he said. But he said I was doing good so I could eat what I felt able to. He said my body would let me know if I shouldn't eat something...with a funny grin on his face. :) he is really awesome. I have only lost about 15 pounds so I dont think I am doing so good there. I think it's because I am not getting enough Protein in so I am trying to do better about that. Good luck!

That is exactly what my doctor said too. I thought I was doing really good I start eaten a few things like clam chowder and I know Moore did on the grill cheese sandwich tonight I made tuna patties and fried potatoes and I found out solid food is not my friend right now so back to Protein Drinks good luck everyone

31 minutes ago, llhill said:

I had my surgery the 23rd and just like you I feel good too. I walked a lot today, I don’t have much pain, just a twinge here and there. I still have that lump due to gas and can’t wait for that to dissapate. But I’m taking in all liquids and Vitamins just fine. That’s great everything is going well for you. I’m fine with Clear Liquids but will do better with Protein Shakes because it’s has a bit more substance.

Are you back home? How is everything going?

@ElectricBoogaloo Yes I made it back home on Friday night. Everything is going well surprisingly. Initially I wasn’t going to have a companion but my husband ended up going with me. I was in the hospital for 3 days, walked pretty good everyday, and by the end of the day I was tired. My sleeping wasn’t the best at the hospital, I didn’t like sleeping on my back, but I have a recliner in my bedroom so that’s been really helpful and way more comfortable. I start Protein Shakes on Wednesday. It seems as if this first month will go by quick. I am being very optimistic but I think that’s helping me too. Thanks for checking on me!

Edited by llhill

7 minutes ago, llhill said:

@ElectricBoogaloo Yes I made it back home on Friday night. Everything is going well surprisingly. Initially I wasn’t going to have a companion but my husband ended up going with me. I was in the hospital for 3 days, walked pretty good everyday, and by the end of the day I was tired. My sleeping wasn’t the best at the hospital, I didn’t like sleeping on my back, but I have a recliner in my bedroom so that’s been really helpful and way more comfortable. I start Protein Shakes on Wednesday. It seems as if this first month will go by quick. I am being very optimistic but I think that’s helping me too. Thanks for checking on me!

I am so happy that you are doing well and that your husband accompanied you! I hope the rest of the family comes around with a quickness! 😊

It gets easier each day!