Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had VSG on August 30th everything went well, no complications. I was sent home the next day. I have been doing everything I was told to do, walk, exercise lungs, Clear Liquids the first 2 days the after you can have pudding popsicles etc. Now it’s been 5 days since the surgery but I’m still having a hard time. I’m still in pain, a lot of pain Only in the place where all the action happened though. It hurts to breathe, cough, sneeze, laugh, or even move. It hurts when sitting up or if I try to stand straight up. I don’t know why but I feel like I should be feeling better even if it’s just the tiniest bit. I don’t feel sick or have a fever it’s just the pain and it’s not gas pains. I feel like I shouldn’t be feeling the same amount of pain as the first day I came home. If there’s Anyone that’s farther along in their journey with any insight please comment. Let me know if anyone else felt the same way and what helped the healing along. I’m willing to take any suggestions at this point.

7 minutes ago, ALEandVSG said:

I had VSG on August 30th everything went well, no complications. I was sent home the next day. I have been doing everything I was told to do, walk, exercise lungs, Clear Liquids the first 2 days the after you can have pudding popsicles etc. Now it’s been 5 days since the surgery but I’m still having a hard time. I’m still in pain, a lot of pain Only in the place where all the action happened though. It hurts to breathe, cough, sneeze, laugh, or even move. It hurts when sitting up or if I try to stand straight up. I don’t know why but I feel like I should be feeling better even if it’s just the tiniest bit. I don’t feel sick or have a fever it’s just the pain and it’s not gas pains. I feel like I shouldn’t be feeling the same amount of pain as the first day I came home. If there’s Anyone that’s farther along in their journey with any insight please comment. Let me know if anyone else felt the same way and what helped the healing along. I’m willing to take any suggestions at this point.

I can relate. I had a lot of pain in the beginning. Some of it was related to Constipation and some was related to an incision getting a superficial infection. I'm still not sure what all was going on, but I know the pain you are talking about. It slowly got better. I did have a 5 day round of antibiotics that I started on my 14th day after surgery. If I had to go back, I would have seen my doctor sooner and started antibiotics a little earlier.

Have you tried a heating pad? I was told I could use a heating pad for 10 minutes on and 10 minutes off.

On 09/04/2018 at 11:58, photogirl70 said:

I can relate. I had a lot of pain in the beginning. Some of it was related to Constipation and some was related to an incision getting a superficial infection. I'm still not sure what all was going on, but I know the pain you are talking about. It slowly got better. I did have a 5 day round of antibiotics that I started on my 14th day after surgery. If I had to go back, I would have seen my doctor sooner and started antibiotics a little earlier.

Have you tried a heating pad? I was told I could use a heating pad for 10 minutes on and 10 minutes off.

I don’t know what that hasn’t crossed my mind. I’m going to give that a try right now! I’m pretty desperate at this point. I feel great except for the pain on my side where the largest incision is.

2 minutes ago, ALEandVSG said:
11 minutes ago, photogirl70 said:

I don’t know what that hasn’t crossed my mind. I’m going to give that a try right now! I’m pretty desperate at this point. I feel great except for the pain on my side where the largest incision is.

That's where mine hurt and I felt like I had a huge knot behind it and I wondered if my liver was inflamed or something because I was hurting really back just under my right lower rib cage, but looking back, I think it was my colon and me being impacted plus the infection.

8 hours ago, ALEandVSG said:

I was in constant pain for about 2.5 weeks after surgery. You heal when you heal. sleep and low stress helps. Constant pain aggravated by movement made it seem like I was recovering slower than I should have been

I took pain meds as needed and sometimes I toughed it out. Eventually it does just get better, corny as it sounds

Edited by GreenTealael

Your body is healing at the pace that it can. Even though you are not feeling better know that things are happening in there. When you change position things are stretching out from the previous position, it will hurt or feel uncomfortable. Your only 5 days you can't expect to feel good at this point. I'm almost 8 weeks out and though I feel way better I still get an occasional pain that wasn't not expected. One thing I was not expecting to experience was a lack of patience. I wanted/expected everything to magically happen. It's a tough lesson but one you will have to learn.