Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've asked, I've listened, I've given kind words to "newbies" with similar frustrations and I've seen people be mean to others about this. BUT, I'm close to 5 months, I guess I'm not technically stalled, although the past week I haven't lost anything, but when I look at my numbers for say, August, it looks like I've lost 2 pounds (maybe) a week. Is this normal?

Now I seriously saw someone get pissed off and leave a forum because she couldn't deal with people worrying about their weight. I had this surgery and I'm using as the tool as it is intended to be. Recently I have upped my Water a lot, I now walk very briskly 4+ miles a day plus yoga and strength training (I'm starting out) I've tried upping my Protein, my carbs, lowering my carbs, upping my calories, lowering them, watching salt, all the things I've seen people give out as advice over and over again. scale goes up and stays the same, YES put it away! I have issues, I'm working with a therapist. I step on it because I'm working so hard but yes, it's not daily like before.

So I need advice, not shaming. Five months out, what was your experience? What did you do? Or is this just what I deal with now? I'm not happy at this weight loss yet.

SW- 292.9

CW-224.4

basically 69 pounds lost. If you go by my surgery date it was 4/17. But I'm 20 weeks post op Tuesday.

Love any insights.

Thank you. It is scary scary for anyone but it is exciting to hear all the great testimonials from those who are on this road to happy health.

You could be converting fat to muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. How do your clothes fit? There were many points where the numbers on the scale said I was heavier, but when I tried on clothes, I was a size smaller. Muscle weighs more and if you are doing strength training that's what should be happening.

I've only been really amping up my exercise for a few weeks and just started the strength stuff and that I still very minimal. All of my clothes are fitting fine and I did my measurements but I can't tell much from those because it's been maybe six weeks since I did them last, but I have lost inches. I think I lost 5 inches in 6 weeks.

Gaining muscle will cause you to retain Water for a little while. You have to tear the muscle fibers just a little to build new muscles, and the healing process requires retained water. So some of the "stall" isn't, really--you're losing fat, and you're gaining muscle and probably retaining a little Fluid.

The "muscle is heavier" thing is a motivating thing to tell ourselves, but it just means that a pound of muscle is smaller/denser than a pound of fat--they still both weigh a pound and look the same on the scale.

Instead, I remind myself that pound of muscle is healthier than a pound of fat. Also, every gain in muscle is a gain in basal metabolic rate, which will help with losing fat/maintaining a healthier weight in the long run.

Are you using measuring tape? Because if you aren't losing pounds--especially if you're building up your exercising habit--I strongly suspect you're losing inches.

Approximately 70 pounds in 5 months is nothing to sneeze at. It's a major accomplishment, congratulations!

I will be 5 months out tomorrow and have lost 42 pounds since the day of surgery. I lost an additional 15 pounds on the preop diet. I am actually happy with this. Of course at age 60 I expect my weight loss to be fairly slow....

I follow a fairly low carb diet with adequate Protein and moderate healthy fats. I get most of the carbs from veggies and some from dairy and legumes. I avoid all starchy foods as well as most grains (gluten intolerant). I avoid fruits because I do not like most of them.

I walk 1.75 miles 5-6 days a week and do occasional upper body weight training which I need to increase. I weigh myself every day but only change my ticker when I lose. I have gone back and forth with 2-3 pounds many times.

I think you are doing fine. The closer you get to goal the slower the scale is going to move. My advice would be to continue what you are doing, focus on the positive (losing 76 pounds is the equivalent of a 9 year old) and be proud of yourself.

By the time you're 4-5 months out, 8-10 pounds/month is pretty normal. It's certainly not bad. Remember, your weight loss period is 12-18 months generally.

I'm only 1 week ahead of you and my weight has been slow, but steady at 1-2 lbs per week. As envious as I am of those who are losing faster, I am perfectly satisfied with 1-2 lbs per week.

I exercise, but at things I enjoy and not things that I have to force myself to participate in. I maintain my dietary recommendations about 80% of the time and I allow myself treats now and again. I know myself well enough that extremes of anything will lead to my failure. Could I walk more? Yes. Could I work harder to get more Water in? Yes. But I didn't gain this weight in a short period of time and I am OK with losing it slowly.

I guess I say this so that you know that it's OK to only lose 1-2 lbs per week.

Thanks everyone. I guess I didn't lose super fast anyway, I'm not that concerned, well I suppose a little. I'm just scared it will abruptly stop. A lady in my support group just stopped losing and does (to my knowledge) what she's supposed to do. That scares me, but I have seen the posts that people start slowing down. I'm wondering if burning 600-800 calories per day is doing something with eating 1000 or less but lately around 1000.

Not a fan of exercise, but I've been enjoying my walks along the lake and Vermont gets so beautiful in the fall. And yes, 70 pounds is a lot! I can totally see the newest version of myself and I can also feel it. I'm very glad I did this I'm just really hoping I can be closer to 200 by mid-end of October when my six month follow up is, especially with my nutritionist lol! She's the tough one!

Oh and I do have and use a tape measure to do my measurements. I'm kicking myself for not doing them pre-surgery but I started maybe a few weeks after and use my Baritastic app.