Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

40 something sleevers?

49 was sleeved 10/2/18. Loving it so far!

On 8/18/2018 at 6:15 PM, Letsgetgoing2018 said:

Hi all. I am in my forties. Wondering who else is on the boards in the same age bracket. Wondering how being sleeved has affected your life at this age. Do you wish you were sleeved sooner?

Hi there! I’m 44 and just had surgery last week. Of course I wish I had done it sooner but I wasn’t ready and didn’t have the support I really needed until now. I feel like this is my time to take control of my life. I feel amazing and I have so much living left to do!

Hi. I was sleeved 01/28/2012 so coming up on seven years. I was 238 at my first appointment (5'6 female) and 219 the day of surgery. I was 39 and wanted to lose by my fortieth. I was down to 129 within a year. I am currently 114 but at year five I bounced back up to 160. I have been holding steady now under 120 for about six months.

It was a huge adjustment the first year for sure. I was cooking for my family a lot and had two kids. We entertained almost weekly and had a very active social life. Everything was centered around food and alcohol which I now was trying to avoid. Eating out felt line a punishment watching everybody else eat. But I just kept ordering and eating the way I was supposed to because my life was getting so much better. I could do things I didn't want to do when I was heavier. Eventually I actually craved the proper foods. I couldn't believe the mental and physical changes.

Now I am very content with all the changes I have made and no longer feel cheated when others eat. I swim everyday and love shopping for cute clothes. My relationships got so much better and I have been unbelievably happier. My compulsion to overeat disappeared and life became enjoyable instead of something to endure.

Do I wish I had done it sooner? Sure, but I needed to hit my emotional bottom and figure out why I ate compulsively first. I don't think I had the determination to do it correctly before that time.

It was the best decision I've personally made. I love my life, my stronger, fitter capable body and the freedom from my weight that was literally weighing me down and holding me hostage in my own body.

Today I embrace and love my life. I eat to live and choose healthy options. This works and has been such a gift. It's not easy the first year, but it's so worth it in the end.

I still have a lot of restriction and it reminds me not so gently when I overdo it. I rarely do because I know how to eat for my sleeve now. Good luck to the rest of the forty somethings. So far this has been the best decade of my life! Good luck.

19 minutes ago, Swimmer said:

Hi. I was sleeved 01/28/2012 so coming up on seven years. I was 238 at my first appointment (5'6 female) and 219 the day of surgery. I was 39 and wanted to lose by my fortieth. I was down to 129 within a year. I am currently 114 but at year five I bounced back up to 160. I have been holding steady now under 120 for about six months.

It was a huge adjustment the first year for sure. I was cooking for my family a lot and had two kids. We entertained almost weekly and had a very active social life. Everything was centered around food and alcohol which I now was trying to avoid. Eating out felt line a punishment watching everybody else eat. But I just kept ordering and eating the way I was supposed to because my life was getting so much better. I could do things I didn't want to do when I was heavier. Eventually I actually craved the proper foods. I couldn't believe the mental and physical changes.

Now I am very content with all the changes I have made and no longer feel cheated when others eat. I swim everyday and love shopping for cute clothes. My relationships got so much better and I have been unbelievably happier. My compulsion to overeat disappeared and life became enjoyable instead of something to endure.

Do I wish I had done it sooner? Sure, but I needed to hit my emotional bottom and figure out why I ate compulsively first. I don't think I had the determination to do it correctly before that time.

It was the best decision I've personally made. I love my life, my stronger, fitter capable body and the freedom from my weight that was literally weighing me down and holding me hostage in my own body.

Today I embrace and love my life. I eat to live and choose healthy options. This works and has been such a gift. It's not easy the first year, but it's so worth it in the end.

I still have a lot of restriction and it reminds me not so gently when I overdo it. I rarely do because I know how to eat for my sleeve now. Good luck to the rest of the forty somethings. So far this has been the best decade of my life! Good luck.

That's awesome! It's so nice to hear a long-term success story to be reminded that it CAN work, but we have to want that more than our old habits. I'm not having surgery until next month but it's so nice to read your story. Thanks for sharing!

6 minutes ago, Foof76 said:

That's awesome! It's so nice to hear a long-term success story to be reminded that it CAN work, but we have to want that more than our old habits. I'm not having surgery until next month but it's so nice to read your story. Thanks for sharing!

It can and does work! Best wishes on your upcoming surgery. I was so excited to have this done and looking back it doesn't even seem real. I couldn't be happier. There are struggles and challenges for sure. I've had some health issues pop up, but dealt with them all as they occurred. My biggest issue hag probably been Iron deficient anemia but this can be controlled if you can take the iron. I cannot and I have to be diligent with my diet, but doable.

I think the best part is you can't give up. I had a weird pattern of weight loss where I'd lose for a week and stall for three. Very frustrating but in those the stalled weeks my clothes would become too big and my body changed. In a previous life I would get frustrated by the effort and lack of loss and I'd give up the effort since it didn't appear to be working. I'm so thankful for my sleeve today.

On 10/23/2018 at 12:44 PM, CyndieRI said:

I’m 52 and had surgery on 10/10. I wish I did it years ago but I don’t focus on the past. I’m focused on today - and the future! My highest weight was (an embarrassing 365). Surgery weight was 327 and I was 316 as of this morning.

I think your doing great. We all have our highest weight that we can’t imagine. We got this. Seriously....your amazing new life is ahead of you. Keep focusing on today and then the next and so on. We can do his.

14 hours ago, Swimmer said:

That’s so encouraging. I hate hearing everyone’s opinion that this will be hard, or you need to make this change forever or you’ll gain it all back. Omg. Thanks for the support. But to know that change is possible and we do get the opportunity to change for life. I’m looking forward to making this a life changing event and not going back. Hugs and cheers to you!!!!

7 hours ago, chris_marie said:

That’s so encouraging. I hate hearing everyone’s opinion that this will be hard, or you need to make this change forever or you’ll gain it all back. Omg. Thanks for the support. But to know that change is possible and we do get the opportunity to change for life. I’m looking forward to making this a life changing event and not going back. Hugs and cheers to you!!!!

Change is so possible and this is super doable with a little determination. I could not be happier. Best wishes to you on your journey!

To Chuck

Congrats to you! I know it is daunting today and you are probably questioning what you just did to yourself, but please know you made a great change. You will feel like your failing some days and be on the top of the world others. Just enjoy the ride. It's as much about the changes in your head as the changes that will happen to your body. Hang in there and best wishes on your journey. You've got this!

Edited by Swimmer

And Hi from the resident over70 bypasser, ME! Really happy to read all of your stories, my weight also is going down, now if I can get my diet progressed I can join you all in Happy Camper Town.🏡 I hear it is a lovely lovely place!

Turned 40 in February and having my sleeve done on Monday (10/29). Scared and nervous but I'm glad I joined this page so I can read everyone's feedback and know that I'm not alone on the dark days and see the light at the end of the tunnel through all your positive experiences.

Ya it's nice to have this community to look at to see I'm not the only one going through this.. I'll be one week post op when you get your procedure.. I was looking into doing this years ago but things happened and it didnt happen I'm happy with how it all turned out..

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 10/24/2018 at 10:49 AM, Swimmer said:

I love your entire post but didn't want to repost the whole thing. I feel like I'm doing ok but still have struggles. I can't wait to one day come to this point. Where it's just normal and not have to think so much about it. Congrats to you on your continued success. It is very inspirational to hear from someone so far out that has kept it up. Thank You and Continued success!!!!!