Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The last supper! Food funerals anyone?

I have to get my mindset right. I am having a revision from sleeve to bypass on 9/10 so I start my 2 week full liquid diet on 8/27. I know where I need to be, and I will get my mind right but this week I seem to be struggling to get there. I am struggling with wanting to eat everything I know I can't and won't be having anymore. I find myself sad thinking about the things I won't be able to enjoy anymore to keep myself on track.

I am a full time nurse and my husband and I also own an antique mall so I work the equivalent of 2+ full time jobs. So we both work very hard 7 days a week. We don't party, drink, travel, etc, so the one thing we do enjoy is going out for a good meal or treating our self to ice cream etc. I know it seems ridiculous and I believe me I know I want to loose the weight and to be healthier, but I am just having a pity party for myself that our highlights will now be smashed cauliflower and grilled chicken...lol...which I actually do like.

To give you a little background, I had the sleeve 5 years ago and I did great the 1st year I lost almost 100lbs. But once I hit the year mark I couldn't lose anymore and it was struggle to maintain. Even with eating right, exercising, etc. I found myself getting down over not losing an and the scale creeping back up and a started making back food choices. Over the last 5 years I have fallen back to back habits, and I have gained back 60lbs and all of my reflux symptoms.

I really wanted to start restricting myself this week and next so that the full liquid diet maybe wouldn't be such a shock to my system. When I had the sleeve I only had to do one week and that was hard enough, but I know I can get through it. But my mind keeps saying go ahead and eat it now, because you won't be able to eat it anymore in a few weeks.

I know I can do this I Just needed to vent a little! Thanks for listening! Anyone else have the Last Supper Syndrome??????

Edited by shoregirl75
typos

Vent away.

We are adults. We make our own choices. The behavior change and mental battles are hard. None of this is easy.

1 hour ago, shoregirl75 said:

Anyone else have the Last Supper Syndrome??????

Of course I had it :lol:. I don't really see a psychological problem with it when you have your food funeral before starting the pre-op diet if there is one required. Say goodbye if you need it. People say goodbye to a lot of things and it might actually be a ritual that can help you.

However, if I would have known that I can almost eat anything I like (there are a few things that make my stomach queasy after my revision) I guess I wouldn't have had it though.

6 minutes ago, summerset said:

Of course I had it :lol:. I don't really see a psychological problem with it when you have your food funeral before starting the pre-op diet if there is one required. Say goodbye if you need it. People say goodbye to a lot of things and it might actually be a ritual that can help you.

However, if I would have known that I can almost eat anything I like (there are a few things that make my stomach queasy after my revision) I guess I wouldn't have had it though.

Have you had any issues with dumping syndrome? I have a major sweet tooth so i want to stay away from sweets all together. When i get a taste of it i crave it all the time so best for me to avoid them all together, I almost hope for dumping syndrome with sweets as an extra deterrent.

Don't count on dumping as your punishing tool. You might not experience it. (It always makes me sad to hear that people really hope they will dump like hell after bypass).

I can eat sugar and sweet things in I guess what's called "moderation" without having early or late dumping.

Interestingly enough the amount not only of sugar but of food in general I can eat without feeling uncomfortable depends a lot on physical activity. I came home from a 52 km road bike ride today and feel like a bottomless pit tonight, lol.

17 hours ago, summerset said:

Don't count on dumping as your punishing tool. You might not experience it. (It always makes me sad to hear that people really hope they will dump like hell after bypass).

I can eat sugar and sweet things in I guess what's called "moderation" without having early or late dumping.

Interestingly enough the amount not only of sugar but of food in general I can eat without feeling uncomfortable depends a lot on physical activity. I came home from a 52 km road bike ride today and feel like a bottomless pit tonight, lol.

I am definitely not counting on that as a punishing tool. I meant that kind of tongue and cheek because i know i have a sweet tooth and I don't want to fall back into back habits. I asked because I am concerned about dumping syndrome mostly with carbs or hidden sugars. I work 7 days a week and with a hectic schedule if i grab something on the go I wonder how my stomach will deal. I am going to plan ahead and prepare ahead as much as possible, but sometimes just trying consider my new lifestyle and stomach in my very crazy work schedule.

17 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

Did reflux cause weight regain, or was that the reason you were approved for the revision?

Because of my weight gain and my BMI i was approved for the revision. I am also having my hiatal hernia re-repaired and my gallbladder removed. Both of which have been causing my a lot of reflux, nausea, pain and at times vomiting.

I am experiencing this now, and it’s hard! I’m getting sleeved in January and am toward the bottom of the allowable BMI range for surgery, so when the nurse told me not to lose anymore weight I think I went too far in the other direction. I have lost 76lbs on weight watchers and kept it off for over a year, but I haven’t been able to lose more since last Nov. so now I’m finding myself eating all this shit I taught myself to stop eating on weight watchers. Trying to get back into a healthy mindset before surgery but I hear you, it’s hard!

I must say I have had some food funerals for some food but have not been "last suppering". I start my 1 week pre op diet tomorrow and tonight I am going to dinner at one of our favorite restaurant's. Today is my last day of freedom. This last weekend was my last time grocery shopping for our current lifestyle. Lots of lasts this week and its been emotional in a way. I am ready to say good bye to this life and be a healthier happy me. Just letting go of EVERYTHING has been kind of tough.

I want to take some photos so I can look back and see the changes. Does any one else have body issues to the point you don't want to take before photos. I know I need to but idk if I am embarrassed or what it is.....

On 21/08/2018 at 3:55 PM, AshMarie794 said:

I must say I have had some food funerals for some food but have not been "last suppering". I start my 1 week pre op diet tomorrow and tonight I am going to dinner at one of our favorite restaurant's. Today is my last day of freedom. This last weekend was my last time grocery shopping for our current lifestyle. Lots of lasts this week and its been emotional in a way. I am ready to say good bye to this life and be a healthier happy me. Just letting go of EVERYTHING has been kind of tough.

I want to take some photos so I can look back and see the changes. Does any one else have body issues to the point you don't want to take before photos. I know I need to but idk if I am embarrassed or what it is.....

If you can manage it, do it. I thought I had taken plenty of before pics but, there are very few that show in a clear light, what I actually looked like.

More so, I wish I had taken skin pics, as in a bra and pants type photo as I know I have changed so much but don't really have any unclothed pics to compare it with.

The more you take, the more you have to compare with later on when you lose all the weight, its such a boost, honestly.

On 8/16/2018 at 12:37 PM, shoregirl75 said:

I have to get my mindset right. I am having a revision from sleeve to bypass on 9/10 so I start my 2 week full liquid diet on 8/27. I know where I need to be, and I will get my mind right but this week I seem to be struggling to get there. I am struggling with wanting to eat everything I know I can't and won't be having anymore. I find myself sad thinking about the things I won't be able to enjoy anymore to keep myself on track.

I am a full time nurse and my husband and I also own an antique mall so I work the equivalent of 2+ full time jobs. So we both work very hard 7 days a week. We don't party, drink, travel, etc, so the one thing we do enjoy is going out for a good meal or treating our self to ice cream etc. I know it seems ridiculous and I believe me I know I want to loose the weight and to be healthier, but I am just having a pity party for myself that our highlights will now be smashed cauliflower and grilled chicken...lol...which I actually do like.

To give you a little background, I had the sleeve 5 years ago and I did great the 1st year I lost almost 100lbs. But once I hit the year mark I couldn't lose anymore and it was struggle to maintain. Even with eating right, exercising, etc. I found myself getting down over not losing an and the scale creeping back up and a started making back food choices. Over the last 5 years I have fallen back to back habits, and I have gained back 60lbs and all of my reflux symptoms.

I really wanted to start restricting myself this week and next so that the full liquid diet maybe wouldn't be such a shock to my system. When I had the sleeve I only had to do one week and that was hard enough, but I know I can get through it. But my mind keeps saying go ahead and eat it now, because you won't be able to eat it anymore in a few weeks.

I know I can do this I Just needed to vent a little! Thanks for listening! Anyone else have the Last Supper Syndrome??????

I had something similar only it was the lap band. The first one was placed 2004 and by 2008 I had lost 185 pounds. In 2010 the band slipped and had to be removed therefore I gained over 60 back in about 3 months. I had the band back on and I didn't lose anything, but gained a hernia. The surgeon who repaired the hernia gave me another bigger hernia by mistake (that he will never admit) and it's all been down hill from there. I am now getting the sleeve, the band removed and reconstruction (temporary) on my abdominal wall all at once (I now have 2 hernias (one involving my stomach and liver). This all goes down Monday and I am happy to finally get it done, but scared to death...