Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fruit on the liver shrink diet

Have any of you ever heard of having multiple servings of fruit on the pre op diet?

My pre op diet was all liquids. I have heard of some people eating lean meals once a day, so I know these diets vary widely. I would think it would tend to lean more towards vegetables than fruit though for best effect.

25 minutes ago, KimTriesRNY said:

My pre op diet was all liquids. I have heard of some people eating lean meals once a day, so I know these diets vary widely. I would think it would tend to lean more towards vegetables than fruit though for best effect.

That was my thought as well. Mine calls for 4 servings of fruit a day. Thought it was very strange.

Is your diet intended to "shrink the liver" or are you assuming that it is based upon what some others have to do?Many docs don't need their patients on that kind of diet but may impose some other diet for some other purpose, or often, nothing at all.

Classically, a low carb diet of some kind, liquid, solid or a hybird, is what is specified if improved liver condition is intended, but some may just want to move their patients in the right direction toward a healthier overall diet for the long term, so one with some fruit or other complex carbohydrates in it would be appropriate.

@RickMMy sheet is titled "liver shrink diet"

1 shake Breakfast

Midmorning piece of fruit

1 Protein Bar for lunch

Midafternoon piece of fruit

3 oz lean Protein, vegetable salad with 1 serving vinaigrette or fat free dressing, 6 unsalted crackers, 1 piece of fruit.

Evening snack 1 piece of fruit

That's fine - you want to do what your program instructs you to do. Many in these forums make assumptions based upon what is commonly posted (it is "standard" to have a liquid pre-op diet - because so many post about problems with them - or that one has to do a low carb or some other diet post-op - because that is what is popular at the moment, etc.) that it helps to sort out the program instructions from the common chatter.

Your doc's diet may or may not "shrink the liver" as well as some other diet that others have, but if that is what your surgeons are comfortable with doing, that is the most important thing. The liver shrinking thing is somewhat controversial in the surgical community as to what really works on whom and to what degree. I know some surgeons who specifically don't want their patients doing any of these liquid fast type diets as they want them to be as strong and healthy as possible going into surgery, and fasting for weeks doesn't do it. Different philosophies for different surgeons, and we just follow along.

@RickM Thank you!

mine is 1🍌,1🍎1🍊all small size, or 3/4 cup unsweetened berrie as a snack once daily.
Good news I have lost nearly 13.pounds on this Verdompt diet,since August1st, so my liver is shrinking. Clothes only a little looser, same size. Bad news still 2 weeks until surgery. I have tried 4 different brands of Protein Shakes, multiple flavors, some nastier than the rest. The frozen under 300 calorie Entrees, some pretty tasty rest mffft. But you guys have done it before me, and had success. I shall slog steadily onward,one foot in front of the,other👣, I will make it yet!

13 pounds is perfect I’m on day 6- and down 51/2 pounds since last Wednesday. But the last 2 days been at the same weight. Too much sodium in one of my broths. So no more of that one for now. 1 week from tomorrow is the Big Day. And my brain is messing with me a bit.

@clsumrall, we are going to make it chickadee, you and me. You do your CL best on the 29th, I'll be close behind you on September 5th. Just heard from our BariPal Ellie123 from outside Dallas Tx, had surgery yesterday afternoon, 2.5 hours but it went good. I know we can do good, stay strong on your prep diet, I will too, WE ARE GOING TO ROCK THIS WORLD!😛

I was allowed 1 cup of watermelon, and as much celery as I wanted on my pre-op (as well as the shakes and broth and SF jello)

Today is day 10 and the only thing i want is a slice of cheese pizza!

Down 2 more pounds and 6 days to go was cranky had 12 peanut MNMs so doing without my sugar free pudding tonight and add extra 16 oz Water. Won’t mess up again. Mind messes with us but we will win

Congrats on your loss. It is so hard!

The only fruit I was allowed on pre op diet was any type of melon.