Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

9 hours ago, ZeroCool said:

Hi Chell,

How are things? I can relate to feeling kinda discouraged when you see others who have lost more in the same time frame but I try to remind myself that everyone is different and loses at different rates. I had a huge setback because I've been back in the ER twice since surgery, each time for at least 4 days, pumped with IV fluids back to back...I learned a fun fact from that...IV fluids make you gain weight :/ I was down 21 lbs at one point by my 2 1/2 mark, but gained almost 10 of that back from my 2nd stint in the hospital, and now 3 1/2 weeks total post op I FINALLY got back to the amount I lost beforehand. Now, I'm down 23 lbs , but shoulda been more. BUT...again that's the evil scale talking, getting into my brain, and I shouldn't worry about that because what matters most is that I get this eating part down pat and learn and continue to get healthy. The weight WILL come off - it's impossible for it not to. We'll hit stalls (I think I am in one now possibly), each at different periods of time, but endgame we'll get to lower weight. Hang in there...our brains are terrible sometimes lol

Hi there! Sorry you've been back in the hospital twice. Are you on the mend now? Glad I'm not alone in feeling this way. Thanks for the support.

so @ Zero Cool are things on the mend for you? Sorry to hear you were back,in the hospital, hope THOSE DAYS are behind you!

17 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

so @ Zero Cool are things on the mend for you? Sorry to hear you were back,in the hospital, hope THOSE DAYS are behind you!

On 9/11/2018 at 7:14 PM, ChellNC said:

Hi there! Sorry you've been back in the hospital twice. Are you on the mend now? Glad I'm not alone in feeling this way. Thanks for the support.

Hey there guys - Yep, FINALLY things are on the mend. Haven't been back since my 2nd time. Still struggling to get 64oz of fluids in (I can do maybe 48-50 fairly regularly but thats about it). But I'm not showing signs of dehydration either so I guess that's ok. I am getting MOST of my Protein in too. Finally starting in some soft foods and figuring out what my stomach will allow me to eat. I love poached eggs (can't eat a whole one yet though, close..but not the whole thing). Some meats are ok, but I'm having a hard time with chicken (but turkey lunchmeat seems ok so far). I've had to find lactose free lowfat cottage cheese cause I get an upset stomach now ( I think lactose is a thing now for me, except with cheeses ), and I've found a good protein Water from Isupure that I dilute with water and tastes good and helps me get protein in. Only down 30lbs since surgery, but I feel like I'm shaping differently in places so Im trying not to look at the numbers so much. Plus, 30 lbs in a month is awesome by anyone's terms - so even if others lose more, we all lose at a different rate so it's all good :) I haven't weighted this weight since I was maybe 25 lol. and it's only getting better from there.

Side note though - I'm getting alot more aches and pains in my back, hip and left knee that weren't as bad before surgery. I hear that's normal though..your body/etc is shifting from losing weight I guess. So we'll see.

Glad to hear you're doing well @ZeroCool. The pain is normal? That's good to know! I've been having lots of back and core pain. I was hoping it was just my body adjusting. Lots of the back and core pain at work and have tried a new cushion but that hasn't helped at all.

Thanks Gals you're making feel better now, just a load leveling problem? Whew that's a relief.😝

I was readmitted to the hospital on Labor Day with persistent nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain. Oh, and - of course - dehydration. This began six days of decline - I was in terrible, terrible pain and couldn’t keep so much as an ice chip down. They put in a picc line for nutrition. Meanwhile, the pain got so bad, so unreachable, that I don’t remember most of the last 2 days.

Finally, at 9:30 pm on day 6, my doctor called me to say he’d come back to the hospital to look at every test I’d taken so far, and he called the chief of radiology to do it with him. They felt strongly that my gallbladder had to come out...NOW. They started the surgery at 2:00 am, and that saved my life, because the minute they visualized the gallbladder and determined it was necrotic and gangrenous, it burst.

It was a long night for the surgeons. And my poor wife.

I was immediately greatly improved. And as a reward, was given soft foods, which my new stomach was happy to receive.

I’ve had one complication from the 2nd surgery. One of the incisions became infected. I now have a home nurse come every day to change the dressing and re-pack the wound. I have another 3 weeks or so of the wound care to go. <sigh>

I can’t wait until I feel like myself again. I lost 40 pounds in a month, but not the way I would have liked, and it hasn’t brought me much joy yet.

Does anyone else find soft/solid food easier than liquids? I get this uncomfortable gurgle in my belly with every sip. It makes it hard to get my fluids in.

Edited by Aidanog

On 9/10/2018 at 4:14 PM, ChellNC said:

I'm a little over 2 weeks post and have lost 12 lbs. Anyone else getting discouraged when you see others have lost much more than you during the same timeframe? I know we're all different and that I shouldn't compare myself to anyone else but my brain likes to torment me sometimes.

I completely understand i am 6 weeks post op and I have only lost 21 lbs most of that was lost in the hospital. Since I have been home I have only lost like 11 lbs and gained 3. I am following the menus the dietitian gave me and exercising every night, 45 minutes on the elliptical. I have been in tears most mornings. I don't know if the weight will ever start coming off, but I know I am going to keep busting my butt. Just keep your head up and keep going.

Oh no @Aidanog! What a great doctor to stay on top of things. Glad they got you into surgery in time.

2 minutes ago, Kaseyn2boys said:

I completely understand i am 6 weeks post op and I have only lost 21 lbs most of that was lost in the hospital. Since I have been home I have only lost like 11 lbs and gained 3. I am following the menus the dietitian gave me and exercising every night, 45 minutes on the elliptical. I have been in tears most mornings. I don't know if the weight will ever start coming off, but I know I am going to keep busting my butt. Just keep your head up and keep going.

Thank you! You too! Great job on 45 minutes of exercise a night!!!

Friday and Saturday nights I went to concerts - absolutely love going to see my bands. There were so many stairs. Ugh! Those had my largest incision site hurting for hours. Through the shows I just held the area and rocked out. I couldn't jump or do some of the arm moves I normally do but I still had a great time. 💜

OT but @zerocool crash override was better (my husband insisted I tell you that lol)

Quinoa is a grain so no. We aren’t supposed to eat grains for at least the first 6 months. And some surgeons say wait till you hit your goal weight. Mine says no grains and no sugar. Look into the whole 30