Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PMS affects on my band

I'm REALLY bad during my pms time. Seriously bad. Mood, iritibility, bloating - I'm the classic B*TCH. :confused:

Preband, normal for me is I could eat a horse the week prior. I am a bottomless pit.

Post band; not much has changed. I've noticed that my restriction is less at this time of month. I don't know if it's Mother Natures way of saying "Have that chocolate, enjoy that binge"...whatever it maybe be...it's STRANGE. I ate a whole turkey burger today, with onions and mushrooms. Ok...granted - it DID take me longer to eat it...about 45 minutes. I didn't inhale it. I guess it could be that I'm also 'ignoring' the band - and that I continue to just put food in. Nothing comes up. And I will admit - I have learned HOW to eat around the band. But this isn't the case. In one sit down, I can consume more. ***But now that I type this - I'm guessing it's b/c I'm eating for a longer period of time.

Anyone else loosen up for PMS?

MINE DOES! I am right now sitting at my desk eating prezels!!! I typically can't eat more than 5, but after the whole mini bag i am fine! I am also taking longer to eat things during this time though.

I think its in my head because I am used to associating this sluggishness and B*itchiness with eating. When PMSing the hungry feeling makes me notice the other feelings like being tired, annoyed, and pissy. The only one I have control over is the hunger- so thats what I always try to fix!

I gravitate to food (and will eat for 45 minutes even though not "hungry"). You are not alone! Now if only we could fix our heads like we have our tummys!

I have been having this myself. last week I felt I could just go on eating forever. Now that I have had my period for a couple of days i am much tighter. I almost called to make a fill appointment, but know I had read somewhere that TOM can influence restriction. I am glad it is not just me!

I'm still in the preliminary process (sent my first paperwork packet in this week :)) and I was really hoping the band would help with my PMS. I'm 46 and the older I get the worse it gets. I read somewhere that as you age, your body has to work harder to find a viable egg to release and PMS symptoms become more intense and I believe it! I, too can eat a horse a few days before and nothing satisfies me except carbs and Protein. Maybe it's just what my body nees or something.

I have been having this myself. last week I felt I could just go on eating forever. Now that I have had my period for a couple of days i am much tighter. I almost called to make a fill appointment, but know I had read somewhere that TOM can influence restriction. I am glad it is not just me!

I was actually going to call for a fill also! I mean; this is just crazy how 'loose' I am. In reality - I'm sure I can't eat as much as pre-band...but it sure feels like it. For lunch today; I ate a whole baked potato. Pre band...that would be a joke. Now - I AM full on it.

I find that I'm 'grazing' more during this time, also. Not good. At least we recognize it!!:clap2:

wow ! This is so weird when I have pms I can barely keep down liquids and then when I finally start I am a bit less restricted

I am tighter then ever before/during TOM. I keep to Soups for 7-10 days because everything else hurts. Also it seems that my cramping has gotten worse but it seems to have gotten shorter by about 2 days.

Funny you should say that, I was just thinking this morning that maybe I need a fill, cause it seemed the past few days that I was able to eat more and not get full as opposed to 5 days ago when I had great restriction. But now that I read this post, well, I guess I may just have to wait and see it I get my restriction back after my "TOM" (I love the word by the way). Good luck everyone!!!

I can eat about anything the days before my tom, but as soon as tom hits i can't eat anything with out discomfort. I am currently on day 7 and still having a hard time eating. I was so loose before TOM that I actually schedule a adjustment. Know i need to cancel it.

I not sure if i need to call my doc about this because i am still haveing pain at day 7 . I'm clueless to the way this band works now.

so, everyone of childbearing age who has the band is supposed to be on birth control for the first year or so, right? i know that my doctor wants you to be on 2 forms for the first year, so you definitely don't get pregnant. so, this is just a suggestion, but for those of you who are on the pill anyway, you might discuss continuous cycling with your doctor. that's where you just keep taking your pill and so you don't have a period. If you don't have a period, you don't get PMS, which means you don't have to worry about bad moods or crying or bloating or eating everything in sight. I've been doing it this way for about 4 years now, and I have about 2 or 3 periods a year, and i just couldn't imagine having to go through it every month again.

so, everyone of childbearing age who has the band is supposed to be on birth control for the first year or so, right? i know that my doctor wants you to be on 2 forms for the first year, so you definitely don't get pregnant. so, this is just a suggestion, but for those of you who are on the pill anyway, you might discuss continuous cycling with your doctor. that's where you just keep taking your pill and so you don't have a period. If you don't have a period, you don't get PMS, which means you don't have to worry about bad moods or crying or bloating or eating everything in sight. I've been doing it this way for about 4 years now, and I have about 2 or 3 periods a year, and i just couldn't imagine having to go through it every month again.

sorry i wasn't told to go on birth control let alone two forms. and I am 34 and everything works fine. (though i am diagnosed with pcos) I believe it is up to the surgeon if he wants you to be on birth control. it is a SUGGESTION only from what I understand about not getting pregnant for a year. for I hear many women getting pregnant months after being banded and having healthy babies.

So here I am writing about my amazing ability to eat what I want, in larger quantities during my PMS. Hardee, Har Har.

Just yesterday afternoon, my cousin scarlet came to town. And just last night, I took a bite of chicken and mushrooms - and could BARELY get in a 'good meal'. Ha!

BAM - Restriction - BACK!

Easy come - easy go!

My band is oh so fickle! lol

I want to know the physical reasons for it, because it amazes me.

I take my b/c pills back to back so I do not have periods, but I still have PMS.

It is NOT that TOM for me.

My restriction is less than it should be, but I'm riding it out till my next doc appt. in December.

2 days ago, I felt SO tight. It was hard to get liquids down, even in the evening. This is very unusual for me.

Yesterday, same thing.. and then I started having HORRIBLE PMS cramps (which is unusual for the most part).

So the band, predicts my PMS times. Even though its not typical PMS time, the band knows what's up somehow!

Very very bizarre IMO.

I want to know what happens to cause the band to get tighter during TOM.. does the stomache swell during this time or what?