Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

thirty pound mountain to climb/premier protein

Hello all!

I've had my first visit with my surgeon and he has asked that I drop THIRTY pounds. I go back next month to set a surgery date (his schedule is 2 months out.) I have used Herbalife and lost some weight. But i can no longer tolerate the taste, nor the price for a potential long term tool. Today I discovered Premier Protein but i have read mixed reviews as far as using as an actual diet. I have a lot to lose in a little bit of time. Any tips/advice as to what i should expect?

Thanks in advance:)

Edited by actuallylosingit

Premier Protein is about as good as it gets with Protein Shakes. High Protein, low calorie, and generally taste pretty good.

Nature’s Bounty Protein shake is a cheaper alternative. I found it at CVS. Some people claim that the vanilla flavor tastes like cake batter. You can mix it with almond milk, soy, or coconut milk. It doesn't have as much protein as Premier but it is loaded with Vitamins, Probiotics, and digestive enzymes.

5b45c2df23660_ScreenShot2018-07-11at3_39_09AM.png.dd46cd387f5b217a7cacc3925cc9ecb2.png

You can find soy milk at Dollar Tree in shelf-stable packaging for a dollar. Surprise! I prefer soy milk packaged this way because it's ready when I am.

Mix and match protein powders. You can mix the Vitamin blend one from Nature's Bounty with other protein powders with a higher protein content. Sprouts Farmers Market has an amazing collection of protein powders. whey protein is the highest quality of protein, by the way. I like goat whey myself.

I looked up Dollar Tree and Sprouts and both stores are located in Maryland.

Edited by Missouri-Lee's Summit

Premiere Protein typically works for folks doing a liquid diet prior to surgery. They taste really good too- sweet but good . Many flavors

4 hours ago, actuallylosingit said:

Hello all!

I've had my first visit with my surgeon and he has asked that I drop THIRTY pounds. I go back next month to set a surgery date (his schedule is 2 months out.) I have used Herbalife and lost some weight. But i can no longer tolerate the taste, nor the price for a potential long term tool. Today I discovered Premier Protein but i have read mixed reviews as far as using as an actual diet. I have a lot to lose in a little bit of time. Any tips/advice as to what i should expect?

chocolate is my favorite of the Premier Protein shakes. Right now, they have them at Sam's Club for $12.66 for a pack of 12 until Sunday, June 15, limit 3 per membership. I bought my three last night. Their regular price of $16.66 for a 12 pack is less per unit ($1.39 each) than the costco price of $28.99 for an 18 pack ($1.61 each).

The only other flavor of Premier Protein Shakes I've tried is the strawberries and cream. It was ok, but not as good, IMO, as chocolate.

BTW, I lost over 11 pounds the first week of my pre-op diet. I weigh in again Friday to see what I have lost in week two. Good luck to you! You can do it!!! :1310_thumbsup_tone1:

I tried the Premier Protein and liked the chocolate best. But I got sick of the vanilla/chocolate flavors, so lately (based on reviews here at BP), I recently bought Syntrax Lemon-Tea and I can tolerate that much better and more consistently.

Also, in the Syntrax, sucralose is the last ingredient listed, so that helps me because I don't lose weight with Splenda/sucralose in whatever; it blocks my weight loss. Hence, I didn't use them much in any phase.

But this lemon-tea mix...I can add a bit of whatever (fruit juice, vinegar, more lemon, etc), and make it whatever I want. I couldn't find it in stores, but on that online A>Z mega place (that's running local businesses out of business). But find it there :-).

This week, I've been drinking it (since I'd gained weight!), and I can tolerate it well and periodically throughout the day, between my food. Four pounds down so far this week.

I always laugh when patients are told "lose 'x' pounds before your surgery." I always think, if it was easy to lose those pounds, I wouldn't be here. But re: wls, consider it a means to a great end...for a great new beginning!

Missouri-Lee’s Summit. Thank you! Very helpful information and I would have never thought to look at dollar tree. I will definitely give it a try.

Macadamia-

I’m going to look into Sam’s club for sure. I just paid almost $8 a four pack at Walmart. Keep up the good work, that’s great progress! Good luck to you as well!

7 hours ago, actuallylosingit said:

Hello all!

I wouldn't recommend using Protein Shakes prior to the pre op diet. You will get sick of them, why rush the timeline. Can you do a lean Protein and veggie diet? Cut all carbs down, put your body into temporary ketosis. Its the same concept as the liver shrinking diet. You don't have to use protein supplements to do this. This would be develop great habits for after surgery too. Measure out your food, because its harder to actually eat food and not overeat (prior to surgery). But I'd much rather do this, than drink nasty Protein Drinks. Plus, there will be plenty of time for that, after surgery when you have to drink them.

Something like this:

Meals:

3-4 oz lean meat

o Any lean meat (fish, chicken, beef, pork, lamb) - No fried meats

o You may use seasonings such as garlic, pepper, old bay, etc.

2-3 cups non –starchy vegetables (cooked or raw – NOT FRIED)

o NOT ALLOWED – bread, Pasta, potatoes, rice, legumes/beans, peas, corn

o All other vegetables are allowed – broccoli, peppers, squash, tomatoes, carrots, green Beans, eggplant, asparagus, cabbage, mushrooms, cauliflower, zucchini, cucumber, onions, spinach, greens, Brussels sprouts, etc.

o Vegetables may be cooked or raw/salads

Snacks:

• 6-8 oz light yogurt or light yogurt smoothie that is less than 90 calories (ie. Stoneyfield farm fat free, Yoplait light, Dannon light n’ fit non-fat yogurt or light n’ fit smoothie)
  • ½ cup non-fat cottage cheese
  • 1 string cheese
  • 2 oz deli meat
  • ½ pack of tuna
  • Low fat Jerky

Dr-Patient

I have not heard of Syntrax but willing to give it a try. I can see myself getting tired of consistent flavors as well. Should be a great option to have.

Great job! Four pounds is a great loss. I’m glad you know what works best for your body.

I thought the same thing! At this point in my journey I know it can’t hurt. But i also know it won’t be easy. So far I’ve only fluctuated losing two pounds one week and gaining one the next. I need a consistent diet change to keep things on track and keep the scale moving further down.

AshAsh1-

Thank you for the helpful information. Definitely taking that into consideration. I have done Herbalife before and it worked well for me. Just looking for an alternative shake per preference. A lean Protein veggie diet is possible. It’s just easier for me to stay on track/meal prep if I know I have that shake. I want to lose as much as I can by my next appointment. I want my surgeon to know how serious and committed I am. It’s just hard for me to lose weight and keep it off. Nutrition is new to me and I feel safer with a shake right now. Although I know I need to get familiar with nutritional values of food now. My plan at the moment is to do the shakes for two meals. Then a protein and veggie meal like you recommend. So far I’ve cut out all bread, rice, potatoes. As of today I am having five small meals per day. Once I get closer to my goal I plan to eliminate the shakes and just eat clean.

9 hours ago, actuallylosingit said:

Hello all!

Have you tried Unjury shakes or products? They are great and taste AMAZING. Price is reasonable.

I use body fortress whey Protein Powder. I buy it at Walmart. I have tried vanilla and chocolate/peanut butter and both taste good. No fake sugar after taste and not too sweet when drinking it. AshAsh1 's recommendation is perfect. You will probably get tired of the shakes no matter which you use. Maybe do the 2 shakes during certain days during the week and other days do the lean Protein? Must to mix it up and not get tired of it all.

Whatever works out, best of luck to you on your journey.