Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recovery expectations - Realistic?

Prefacing this with my past experiences. When I had my children I had a C-Section, and 5 weeks later I had an emergency laparoscopic gallbladder removal. I managed my recoveries fairly well and was able to care for two infants with little or no help on about 3 hours sleep. Of course, I was 20+ years younger.

I work from home, no lifting required. I assume I might be able to at least do a few hours starting let's say day 4? My surgeon states plan for a week, but how quickly you return to work seems to have a relative relation to how much you love what you do. Business owners he stated usually go back as soon as they are out of the hospital. I'm sure this was a bit joking, but I'm guessing a week at most for me.

I also have a low key trip planned what will be the beginning of my third-week post surgery. I'll be visiting my sister, she lives a couple of hours away and she is a doctor. My husband will be going along as well, and he will take care of me as well.

How unrealistic are my expectations? The folks in my support group looked pretty lively after 1-2 weeks, so hoping this will all work.

There is absolutely no way of knowing.

Many people are rapid healers with little pain and little to no nausea. I was lucky and had a super easy surgery and healing experience. If you draw this card...you probably won't have any trouble doing a few hours of desk work after a few days.

But there are plenty of other people who have severe nausea, complications, partial stricture, healing difficulties, setbacks, dehydration, difficulty drinking etc. If you draw this card, you could be in trouble for a few weeks or even months.

Keep in mind that people who feel well enough to attend support group at 1-2 weeks likely fall in the first category.

Luck of the draw. Wishing you the very best outcome.

1 minute ago, Creekimp13 said:

There is absolutely no way of knowing.

Many people are rapid healers with little pain and little to no nausea. I was lucky and had a super easy surgery and healing experience. If you draw this card...you probably won't have any trouble doing a few hours of desk work after a few days.

But there are plenty of other people who have severe nausea, complications, partial stricture, healing difficulties, setbacks, dehydration, difficulty drinking etc. If you draw this card, you could be in trouble for a few weeks or even months.

Keep in mind that people who feel well enough to attend support group at 1-2 weeks likely fall in the first category.

Luck of the draw. Wishing you the very best outcome.

I wish you did! If I could pass you my super awesome easy recovery card, I would.

One tip....If you get offered the anti nausea medication Emend....it's worth the hundred dollars to buy the one pill to take before surgery...even if your insurance doesn't cover it. Crazy expensive....but everyone I know who took it, myself included, had a very easy time of it.

2 hours ago, Plucky said:

I work from home, no lifting required. I assume I might be able to at least do a few hours starting let's say day 4?

I also have a low key trip planned what will be the beginning of my third-week post surgery.

Similar situation here.

I work from home. I technically took no time off. I worked off my phone and iPad before surgery, was lucid enough to reply to some emails after surgery. The next day I was fine with working again on my phone and iPad until I was discharged, and then at home. Next day forward I worked as usual.

I also traveled for week 3 weeks post op. But this was a 5 hr flight and a week long trip that was a 4 day schmooze fest, and then a weekend lying by the pool after, before flying home. I was lower energy and more tired than usual, but otherwise fine. (I did get a B12 shot at the beginning of week 3)

So, I had a very easy recovery. If you have a likewise easy recovery, your plan would work.

It is not just luck of the draw. Real factors that influence ease of recovery are: surgeon’s skill, patient’s age, pre-existing health issues, general anesthesia and pain tolerance, family/home support, dehydration, smoking, mental health,...

The best ways to mitigate surgical risks are to follow pre-op diet and instructions very closely, so no food funerals, be honest with your surgeon on your health history, and to walk and sip Water as soon as you’re supposed to do so post-op.

3 minutes ago, MarinaGirl said:

The best ways to mitigate surgical risks are to follow pre-op diet and instructions very closely, so no food funerals,

No preop diet here ... and the 2 weeks between insurance approval and surgery were full of food funerals.

Thanks for all the responses to my initial question! sharing my outcome in case someone wants to know how it went.

I ended up having trouble keeping liquids down. I'm allergic to NSAIDS and react badly to opioids. I believe right after the surgery I was dosed with some painkillers, and it made me sick. So I earned an extra day at the hospital. So day 3 I went home, still a little queasy (could have been my husband's driving as well). I was back working day 4, the day after I got home with the following caveats. I'm not on any pain meds, and I am working from home. I'm mainly just catching up on emails in between resting, walking, and drinking.

We are each different, but that has been my experience. I suspect Monday I'll be back on my game mentally.

Thanks for all of the input.