Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scheduled for sleeve July 10th may back out

Hi all. New to forum. Scheduled for the gastric sleeve on Tuesday and thinking about backing out. So many worrisome issues people are having in these forums. I am scared to death of complications. I have Hugh blood pressure sleep apnea and am borderline diabetic. I weigh 229 and my goal weight is 140. I know I need to do this but I am terrified there will be complications. Can anyone offer me any advice? I really don’t want to call this surgery off after all the hard work I’ve done. Sad and anxious.

I had my surgery (vsg) on March 12 of this year. I had complications after surgery. I had a high fever and a high blood pressure after surgery. It only last a couple of days. With this said, I would get this surgery over and over again. This surgery gave a quality of life I didn't think I would have. Do not cancel your surgery. This surgery is worth it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you Vanessa. I don’t want to cancel it. I am just afraid. I am a single parent and don’t have a spouse to cheer me on if I’m struggling. Have family support so I guess I’ll be ok. I have to make a decision one way or another by tomorrow. Anyone else give any other input?

I had surgery 2/26/18 and also had complications. Most of mine were caused by peculiarities of my own anatomy. I would do the surgery again, regardless. It has already made a huge difference in my life. The complication rate is very low, but you don't tend to hear about all the surgeries that went off without a hitch. You hear about the ones that had issues. Good luck whatever you decide.

Please don't back out, whim wahs towards the end are very common things. I'm still going forward and I believe you should too. Yes you have some nasty co- morbidities but they won't cure themselves if you skip surgery . I just commented about my PCP being less than gungho at the last time is saw him, you can read about it in Don't Become a Walking Advertisement, posted it there because there was space. But the quality of my life will be so much better and I firmly believe yours will be also. Afraid to step through the surgery door to after surgery-land? I have my Bari-bud Orchids and Dragons as well as many others as good examples and they say Stay The Course and I Will. Even if mine is absolutely perfect it will beat the way I have been living now. Even though it seems scaredy in spots I know I can do it. I believe you are cut from the self-serving of sturdy cloth. I will be going through it with you, if not the same moment, very soon after. Don't be Sad, Be Glad, We are given thischance, this new challenge but WE CAN DO IT! ,,your friend and surgery buddy Frustr8 from Central Ohio😛&😛

Nothing in life is without risk. Driving your car to the store carries a certain amount of risk.

Before allowing yourself to be paralyzed by some instances of side effects after surgery (which are actually fairly rare, and nearly all are readily treatable)...consider this: What is the risk of remaining fat?

Diabetes is statistically correlated to a shorter life. Type One...by nearly 20 years, Type Two by 10 years.

Diabetics have a harder time losing weight. It can lead to poor wound healing, amputations, blindness... it is something you want to avoid. It is something WORTH SOME RISK to avoid because it will shorten your lifespan and quality of life.

High blood pressure will cause debilitating issues over time, too, Kidney issues, risk of stroke. People with high blood pressure have shorter lifespans (by about five years) than those who don't.

You are reading some scary stuff on this board.....because YES, this surgery carries SOME risk. (Less than a gallbladder surgery)

But you are not considering the multitude of stories of people who chose to remain fat, who did not aggressively try to reverse their poor health conditions.....who died of heart attacks and strokes and complications of metabolic decline.

Remaining fat carries more risk.

When I considered this surgery, I asked myself and I asked my doctor to justify it.....Do the benefits outweigh the risks?

Research overwhelmingly concludes....yes, they do.

Wishing you the best no matter what you decide.

I have no regrets about this surgery other than wishing that I had taken this step sooner in my life rather than waiting so long. My surgery went pretty smoothly, and I am now no longer taking blood pressure meds or diabetes meds. I used to have a lot of back pain and body aches, but now I feel so much better and just more comfortable in my own skin. I can do so much more. I missed out on a lot when my kids were younger because I couldn't do all that I wanted to at my weight, or I was too self-conscious to participate in the fun.

I'm not trying to push you one way or the other, just relating my experience. I agree with orchids&dragons, on boards like these you tend to see a lot of posts about problems or issues, but I don't think that is representative of most surgeries, people just don't tend to post that all is well and going smoothly.

PS..

For the sake of full disclosure.... My surgery was complication free. I had a very easy recovery. No nausea. Little pain.

Before surgery I had prediabetes. My blood sugar A1C is now well within normal range. My fasting blood sugar is in the 70's.

Before surgery I took medication for high blood pressure. My blood pressure is normal now and I'm off meds.

Before surgery I had very swollen legs at night and especially on hot days, and took diuretics for my edema. My legs are gorgeous now, no swelling....and no diuretics.

Before surgery I had the occasional flare up of a hemorrhoid I got during pregnancy. My butt is great now....no sign of the nasty roid. LOL.

The only prescription medication that I still take...is thyroid cause my thyroid is permanently feckered:)

But yeah....I can run again. I can walk miles without my back screaming. I can get a good night's sleep without my hip and sciatic nerve pain waking me up at night.

I feel like a normal 46 year old again. It SUCKED to feel 66 at 46.

No regrets. Nada.

thank you for all of the replies. I am feeling more confident and plan on moving forward with the surgery.

I have a question for you all. How will I be taking my blood pressure pill and all my other pills after surgery? I need my blood pressure medication. Can I take pills post op?

I took my meds crushed up in a dollop of sugar free cool whip the day after surgery as per my doctor.

Some of my meds were discontinued after surgery and I never needed them again.

Edited by Creekimp13

7 minutes ago, Letsgetgoing2018 said:

I have a question for you all. How will I be taking my blood pressure pill and all my other pills after surgery? I need my blood pressure medication. Can I take pills post op?

Your doc will go over all this with you. Depending on the type of pill, whether it's extended release, etc. If the doc forgets, ask!

One of them is extended release. I am praying to not need my bp med anymore.

It’s sunday night and I just went to the store and purchased my Jell-O broth crystal light sugar free ice pops etc. moving forward. My emotions are all over the place. Worried about my GERD. There are so many on the boards with post op nausea and vomiting. Hope I won’t be suffering with that as well. Trying to think positively.

Many do,have problems with GERD after a sleeve, that said , there also many that do not. Life can be a crap shoot, you just got to keep trying to throw winners. Not everybody gets sick, ask for an antinausea patch behind your ear. Most swear by it, only,downside is it gives some people blurry vision. I'd rather be in a fog and not puking, if I got the choice. Whim wahs before surgery are common, you wouldn't be human if you didn't have a few. You are going to be fine, sure some have rocky,times but most don't. I can stand the urpers, I get intimidated by," Doctor dismissed me, I dropped by home long enough to drop off my surgery bag and then went to the mall and shipped for 6 hours" honey them girls just ain't right. I will probably look like a cross between roadkill and what the dog didn't eat out of the garbage. I have fair skin,and red hair, stands to reason the surgery will give me dark circles under my eyes. And instead of going to the mall I'll leave walking gingerly holding onto my son's arm and looking like every bit of my age. I usually can pass for 55, I will look like a decomposing zombie instead. But still I will have a big Sh**Eating,grin on my face cause Glory Glory my,pretrials will be all over!👍😛👍