Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone regret their RNY because of GI issues post op?

Ugh, I'm still on the fence about which surgery I want. Complicated because I have reflux, so RNY looks like a better choice, but I've been totally scared away from RNY by these boards. I'm worried about loud stomach gurgling, loud uncontrollable flatus, and super stinky poops. I work in an office and may sometimes have to go to court, and loud rumbling and gas would be very embarrassing! Help!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had RNY over a year ago and my sister had the sleeve two years ago we both have tummy sounds but nothing that other people notice and flatus is not in controllable at all. Any GI issues I have or had out weigh the fact that I’m skinny now.
HW: 350
SW: 325
CW: 161
Goal: 150-160

I had a sleeve done and nothing prevents the gurgles. Some people get them and some people don’t. I noticed that I would get them when I eat anything with sugar to include fruits.

I had RNY in December… Zero nausea zero gas and zero tell me sounds

I had the sleeve and then revised to RNY. I only had GERD woth the sleeve. I had rumbling noises with both surgeries but not loud enough for others to hear. And I have no GI issues with the RNY. No uncontrollable gas or poo

Thank you, Bryn910! Im so glad to hear that. I have been working myself up with worry!

And usually but not always our DS brethren have the stench gas and poo because they have even less intestine to digest with.

I have no regrets.
I have smelly poop but oh well.
I’ve never pooped myself or anything like that.
I have gas sometimes but control it if I need to with gas x.
My biggest issue is constipation, but I had that issue pre surgery it’s just worse now.

We are all different . No guarantee any negative gi effect will happen, or won’t happen.

Thank you all for your replies, they're encouraging and make me feel better!
Two weeks ago I was in the same boat. Was I taking too drastic a step? Would I be shitting my head off? I even started a thread here for some positive poop outcome stories.

I'm only two weeks post op, so time is a factor here - but my BM's are behaving and gas is controllable and no worse than before. As I introduce solids more that will change but at this early stage there has not been the nastiness described elsewhere.

I spoke In depth with my dietician and surgeon about it, I called it an irrational fear but they were really responsive and gave me reassurances. Firstly, the ADA in Oz are really into fibre supplements from day one (which is different to other countries for bariatrics) and fibre is essential to keeping regular and firm BM's, provided you stay hydrated. It's also food for gut bacteria, and they think gut biome is a key aspect of the tiny percentage of people that have totally intractable bowel issues after surgery. Secondly, they said gas is controllable. With some careful planning and food watching you can identify the foods or behaviours (gulping) that cause the gas or terrible odour if it becomes a problem. Similarly with loose stools - lactose is the common enemy for some.

Ultimately, even if I do go downhill in the next week as I take more solids in I am confident this will be worth it. I also work in an office, in close quarters with lots of people. I'll just have to get creative about it. But so far, so good.

Out of interest, is the Bris in your name for Brisbane? I'm just west 40 minutes if so. Small world.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using BariatricPal mobile app

my abdomen makes zero noise.

and isn’t all poop “stinky”?

Yes and no, some smells like partially digested food , you can still tell what you ate, some of sulfur, and some, and we Bypassers get blamed for this, justly or unjustly, like a sku,k climbed up your colon and then died a slow death, by inches. Nobody has any,that smells like rose petals and sunshine. And the "hang time" on some varieties is prolonged. That is probably what most complain about.

Hi, Modymatey. Actually the Bris in my name should have an apostrophe. Bri's wife! I live in the US. Thank you for your encouraging reply. You folks on this forum have been so helpful.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I do not have stinky gas or BMs post-gastric bypass.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Featured Surgeons

1. Masoud Rezvani

Woodbridge, Virginia 22191

2. Lisa Medvetz

Downingtown, Pennsylvania 19335
      800-282-0066

• Recent Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• AshAsh1

So I'm having a really really really crappy day. Crappy month really.  My husbands been off work for 2 months with an injury and I've been picking up all the slack with everything. And while, I'm happy to step up to the plate and do these things, I'm getting worn out, physically and mentally. And we went to the doctor today that just pushed his recovery time out for another 2 months.
      The reason I tell you all this......
      I bought twizzlers from the vending machine... and I've been nibbling on them.....
      So much for a lifestyle change *cry face*
      Its crazy because I haven't thought about food as comfort in a very long time. But today, I broke.
      · 6 replies
      1. AshAsh1

Thank you! I'm trying to keep positive and know that even the healthiest of people have weak moments.

2. Matt Z

Are you binge eating those snacks?
        Are you way over your calorie counts?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say "no".
        You *clearly* have made the lifestyle change, you are eating a candy and I'm sure you are taking the time to savor and enjoy it too. Don't feel bad about it. You are allowed some "junk" foods every now and again, it's the whole "all the time" that was bad. I have no doubt in my mind that you've made the changes and are living a totally different food life now.

Forgive yourself.
        Only stress about what you can control.
        You are a rock star!

3. AshAsh1

Thank you Matt.

You are right, I'm not binging by any means. I guess what upsets me is that I bought it, not because I was craving something sweet or because I was hungry. I bought them because I thought it would emotionally make me feel better. Which it didn't, which is a good thing, because I know now that not only I shouldn't turn to food, but it doesn't work anymore.

You are a great friend. Thanks again for the words of encouragement and understanding.

4. Matt Z

I get where the "upset" is coming from, but that revelation should show you that you've really made MASSIVE changes to your entire lifestyle.

The simple fact that you are on here, talking about how upset eating some Twizzlers made you... is more than enough proof that you are doing the right things.

Allow the concession and smile. That old Ash is gone.

5. sillykitty

Hi Ash ...

Sorry you are having the crappy month :(

I agree with Matt, that one vending machine purchase does not undo the tremendous success you have had, and the lifestyle changes you have made. And even better yet, you learned that food doesn't give you the comfort it once did.

We are way harder on ourselves than we would be on anyone else!

Hugs!!

6. View All Replies
    • Little Kansas Kitty

I moved from "obese" and made it to the "overweight" category on the BMI chart today!  Yippee!  Check out my latest 13 week Post-Op update on YouTube:  

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • macadamia

I'm less than 320 for the first time in many many years. I honestly cannot remember when. The lowest I can remember being is 325 back in 2015, but less than 320!?! I'm just over three weeks post-op and I'm down a total of 64.2 pounds lost since June 29, 2018, when I first saw the surgeon.
      · 5 replies
      1. GreenTealael

Congrats!

2. MargoCL

Congratulations! You're doing great

3. macadamia

Thank you @GreenTealael & @MargoCL! I appreciate it!

4. Little Kansas Kitty

Wahoooo! So happy to hear everything is going well for you. Been thinking of you. :) Congrats on the HUGE loss so far.

5. Orchids&Dragons

Congrats! Wonderful progress!

• fmellnick

So i'm new to this! Came across this site trying to figure out if my hungry self can eat pasta two weeks post op! (Of course I know this wont be a good idea lol) But Im glad I found it because I for sure need some support from people who are going though the same thing! So i'm two weeks post op and I feel like the first week great! I lost 16 lbs that week....but this week I have only lost 3 pounds!  What i'm I doing wrong?! And NOOOOO I havent been eating solids....regardless the pasta comment lol Im still on liquids. Hummmmm...TBC
      · 4 replies
      1. Orchids&Dragons

Welcome to the site, I'm sure you'll get lots of helpful insights here. Just so you know - status posts don't usually get many responses. If you'd like to hear from several people, it is best to start a thread (post a topic).

And, you're right, pasta would be a really bad idea :o

2. fmellnick

Thank you so much! :) Good thing you told me this site is weird to get around lol

3. Orchids&Dragons

Yes, it's definitely not intuitive. I will also warn you that posts about foods that you know you shouldn't eat sometimes elicit "over-the-top" responses. This is a religion for some people and they may not get that you were joking.

4. fmellnick

Oh man! Youre the best thanks for the heads up! :)

• virginia's weight loss

I am 4 months post op from having gastric bypass surgery I've only lost 30 pounds. Why is the weight coming off so slowly??
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Trending Topics

• Magazine Articles

• Together, we have lost...
      lbs