Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's always amazing on forums when a dispute has finished its course, there is always someone who seeks to breathe new life into it.

Taylor is the one at fault. I merely gave her well-intentioned advice, and got the aggressive "thanks but no thanks" reply each time. I'm not being controlling: I've said that the decision is hers.

I think now you've had the irreversible sleeve, you are seeking to "campaign for it". I guess it is working for you. But there are likely to be many people who will regret the operation (Google "gastric sleeve regrets"), so I'm not sure how well-intentioned your advice is if you're encouraging someone with a BMI of 31 to have a gastric sleeve.

In the end, someone who has asked for advice has no right to respond aggressively when it's not the advice she wants. But one option has always been not to reply to posts/posters she doesn't wish to enter a discussion with.

Dude, it's all you. And no, I haven't had a sleeve.I mean, a few seconds of research can show you what I've been through, which surgeries I've had, etc. But you'd rather just assume. And someone asking for advice is under exactly zero obligation to follow anyone's suggestion, why are you so butt hurt that Taylor's not agreeing with your opinion? Because, that's all it is, for advice, it's your opinion. You don't know the OP, you aren't Taylor's doctor, you've got no reason to care if the OP listens to you? Says more about you than anything.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I can relate to you, Taylor. Five years ago my weight was around yours and I’m a similar height (so similar BMI). I remember chatting with a friend about her sleeve surgery and being rather jealous. At that BMI I didn’t qualify for surgery - not with insurance covering it at any rate. I had tried all the diets from Portion Control ones to eliminating carbs to addressing my food addiction. I remember thinking (like so many responses you’ve gotten): I’ll just do better with diet and exercise.

Fast forward 5 years and I haven’t had anymore success with diet and exercise. My BMI climbed up to 40 and I remember how my friend told me getting sleeved was one of the best decisions she’s made. In fact most people will tell you they don’t regret the decision at all. In fact when I see the question posted “what’s your biggest regret getting WLS?” the response I see most is “I regret not getting it done sooner”

So when people tell me I’m not big enough at my BMI of now 38, I tell them I don’t want to wait until my BMI is 48. I don’t want to gain another 50 pounds before I get this under control. And if I could go back 5 years and get it done at a 30 BMI I would have.

If you have PCOS, that weight isn’t just going to come off with diet and exercise. And I believe you already said you had a good diet and was active in your original post so you know that. I think you are being proactive by looking into WLS. You don’t see the point in gaining another 40 pounds before that becomes an option.

I agree with everyone saying don’t get the band. I think your only real option is going to have to be paying out of pocket either in Mexico for $4-5k or in the states for $10-11k. You’d just have to shop around but there are places you can get it for that.

Good luck! See ya around the forums! 👋🏻

My daughter has PCOS (pee-kōhs).

The tendency to gain weight is real, as is the likelihood of becoming infertile. According to my daughter, the hirsutism is the part of the disease she hates the most.

It's good that you are asking questions. Do you live in the US? If you do and since you aren't 26 yet, are you still getting your insurance through your parents? Do you know what weigh-loss benefits they have?

It's true that different insurance companies have different requirements. My insurance requires at least 1 co-morbidity with a BMI between 35-39. Over 40 requires no co-morbidity. You have to be at least 21 years old. The other requirements have to do with getting psychologist and dietician evaluations and 6 months of a supervised dieting attempt through a primary doctor.

Yes, the lap band is out. No reputable bariatric surgeon would recommend one today. Check out some videos about weight-loss surgery. Consider making an appointment with a bariatric surgeon to discuss your case with him or her.

It's nice to see that you are forward thinking and realize how much access weight can affect your life.

Keep us updated, please.

1 hour ago, Matt Z said:

Dude, it's all you. And no, I haven't had a sleeve.I mean, a few seconds of research can show you what I've been through, which surgeries I've had, etc. But you'd rather just assume. And someone asking for advice is under exactly zero obligation to follow anyone's suggestion, why are you so butt hurt that Taylor's not agreeing with your opinion? Because, that's all it is, for advice, it's your opinion. You don't know the OP, you aren't Taylor's doctor, you've got no reason to care if the OP listens to you? Says more about you than anything.

Matt, I don't care whether Taylor gets a sleeve. You are entirely wrong in your accusations. You prove my point that "It's always amazing on forums when a dispute has finished its course, there is always someone who seeks to breathe new life into it". You have your own reasons for this.

59 minutes ago, Missouri-Lee's Summit said:

The tendency to gain weight is real, as is the likelihood of becoming infertile. According to my daughter, the hirsutism is the part of the disease she hates the most.

It's good that you are asking questions. Do you live in the US? If you do and since you aren't 26 yet, are you still getting your insurance through your parents? Do you know what weigh-loss benefits they have?

It's true that different insurance companies have different requirements. My insurance requires at least 1 co-morbidity with a BMI between 35-39. Over 40 requires no co-morbidity. You have to be at least 21 years old. The other requirements have to do with getting psychologist and dietician evaluations and 6 months of a supervised dieting attempt through a primary doctor.

Yes, the lap band is out. No reputable bariatric surgeon would recommend one today. Check out some videos about weight-loss surgery. Consider making an appointment with a bariatric surgeon to discuss your case with him or her.

It's nice to see that you are forward thinking and realize how much access weight can affect your life.

Keep us updated, please.

Hi, I hadn't heard of PCOS before. Now I understand the issue at least in part.

Matt, I don't care whether Taylor gets a sleeve. You are entirely wrong in your accusations. You prove my point that "It's always amazing on forums when a dispute has finished its course, there is always someone who seeks to breathe new life into it". You have your own reasons for this.
Ok dude, time to move along. The only person in the wrong here, is you. But you clearly can't see reality through your delusions. Enjoy whatever fantasy world you live in.

What state are you from? I have PCOS and am self pay. I found an amazing surgical group that is reasonably priced for self pay

On 06/28/2018 at 09:44, Frustr8 said:

I am a future RnY but I vote for you a sleeve over those soon to be extinct lapbands and balloons. I keep voting,every election, look at the crop of buffoons we have in Congress not,to,mention the Donald. Maybe my vote didn't matter as much as I thought it did? Seems to be monkey see🙊🙉🙈monkey screw up. I distinctly remember being born in the Land of the Free where people don't tear families apart at the border. Somebody in government got some 'splaining to do.

That said, if I were important enough I would vote for you to have a sleeve, based on your strong family history of diabetes, don't be hurt,if I call you a walking time bomb because I am one Also. In addition,you,have POCS, in addition to traditional interpetation it stands for Pretty Crappy Outlook Sweetheart. And the weight loss runs a good chance of helping that. But I am only a poor well-meaning schmoe not an insurance company nor a nonofide Doctor, you have to satisfy them , not me, even though pleading me would do wonders for MY EGO. Wye sera sera, whatever will be will be!
This statement is frust8-ing... Lets keep politics out or the forum for one! Second, PCOS can easily be overcome with diet and exercise so please keep your negativity to yourself... Thanks

10 hours ago, Matt Z said:

Dude... I can see why you have a negative reputation rating now. You know what's wrong, getting mad at someone that's not doing exactly what you say, good intentions or not, you are not only being rude and aggressive, you are being childish and unsupportive. What's worse is that you can't even see how negative you really are. I feel bad for you actually. So delusioned that you think someone else is wrong because you are being controlling. You need some help bro.

Thanks Matt you're awesome :)

8 minutes ago, Buonnatale said:

What state are you from? I have PCOS and am self pay. I found an amazing surgical group that is reasonably priced for self pay

Hey! Oh my gosh thats awesome! I'm in California (: what about yourself?

Well, I was sleeved in Mexico on thursday. Came home Saturday afternoon. After having great after care by my surgeon, and even having the leak test. I got a copy of my xxrays, and video.

I went that route after years of eating healthy, and exercise but still being overweight. My doctor basically told me, you’re just big boned. 😒

It’s something to look into. My doctor has given me his contact info, a diet plan, meds, and expects me back in 2 weeks.

Just do your research, and don’t let others tell you otherwise! For the US they want you to be 40 BMI, but other countries say otherwise. (Not just Mexico)

Good luck :)

1 hour ago, Missouri-Lee's Summit said:

Keep us updated, please.

Hello (:

Yes, PCOS is incredibly tough! I'm sure your daughter has told you how hard it is, cause it's not easy. I am thinking of my future and its just getting tougher and tougher as I get older so I'm seeking all the options I can. Yes, I live in California and still am under my parents insurance we have Kaiser. I know from looking online, kaiser seems really strict. What I read was in order to be covered for weight loss surgery you need to have a BMI of 35-40 but if you're in the 30's you just need to have a weight threatening problem like sleep apnea or diabetes. I'm hoping because they know about my history and weight gain with PCOS they will cover me even though my BMI is only in the early 30's not to mention diabetes run HEAVY in my family. My mother, a few cousins and aunts have it and my grandmother actually died from diabetic shock. So I'm trying to do what I can. I will definitely keep you guys updated and will watch some of those videos you told me about! thanks for being so supportive. :) I appreciate your kindness

-Taylor

8 minutes ago, Lala70 said:

Well, I was sleeved in Mexico on thursday. Came home Saturday afternoon. After having great after care by my surgeon, and even having the leak test. I got a copy of my xxrays, and video.

I went that route after years of eating healthy, and exercise but still being overweight. My doctor basically told me, you’re just big boned. 😒

It’s something to look into. My doctor has given me his contact info, a diet plan, meds, and expects me back in 2 weeks.

Just do your research, and don’t let others tell you otherwise! For the US they want you to be 40 BMI, but other countries say otherwise. (Not just Mexico)

Good luck :)

Thank you so much! :)

Taylor....an old weight loss warrior here. I am 67 with a BMI of 33. I am getting a sleeve on Thursday, July 5 th. I have been diabetic for 10 years .... never weighted over 130 until menopause and diabetes. According to a seminar put on by Kaiser Permanente 85% of people who diet gain their weight back. Much higher rate of success with a sleeve and bypass. Remember....it is a “tool”. The one thing i would strongly suggest is to see a Bariactric Nutritionist .... I met with mine for 6 months prior to surgery. I feel I am totally ready, educated and prepared. Good Luck....and open your mind about Mexico...much success with their programs.

1 hour ago, KCgirl061 said:

I can relate to you, Taylor. Five years ago my weight was around yours and I’m a similar height (so similar BMI). I remember chatting with a friend about her sleeve surgery and being rather jealous. At that BMI I didn’t qualify for surgery - not with insurance covering it at any rate. I had tried all the diets from Portion Control ones to eliminating carbs to addressing my food addiction. I remember thinking (like so many responses you’ve gotten): I’ll just do better with diet and exercise.

Fast forward 5 years and I haven’t had anymore success with diet and exercise. My BMI climbed up to 40 and I remember how my friend told me getting sleeved was one of the best decisions she’s made. In fact most people will tell you they don’t regret the decision at all. In fact when I see the question posted “what’s your biggest regret getting WLS?” the response I see most is “I regret not getting it done sooner”

So when people tell me I’m not big enough at my BMI of now 38, I tell them I don’t want to wait until my BMI is 48. I don’t want to gain another 50 pounds before I get this under control. And if I could go back 5 years and get it done at a 30 BMI I would have.

If you have PCOS, that weight isn’t just going to come off with diet and exercise. And I believe you already said you had a good diet and was active in your original post so you know that. I think you are being proactive by looking into WLS. You don’t see the point in gaining another 40 pounds before that becomes an option.

I agree with everyone saying don’t get the band. I think your only real option is going to have to be paying out of pocket either in Mexico for $4-5k or in the states for $10-11k. You’d just have to shop around but there are places you can get it for that.

Good luck! See ya around the forums! 👋🏻

Girl you get me. thank you for your response it's like you took the words right out of my mouth. I just keep seeing the weight pack on and its making me miserable. If I can fix it now, I want to. I don't want to wait and then not be able to have kids when I want them because the PCOS is making me infertile. Trust me, I've been doing my research watching tons of women cry tears of joy! because since their WLS thy have been able to cycle and now get pregnant. I'm 25 and I want things to fall in to place without error. I'm going to start going to consultations soon and I'm really nervous I just hope to find a good place that won't make me go bankrupt or give me a botched job lol. I'm hoping to find someone with similar stats to mine who have gotten their WLS in California. I want to stay close to home but I will be exploring ALL options. Thank you for your support and understanding.<3

-Taylor