Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!
One Bariatricpal Multivitamin One Capsule a Day, All the Vitamins and Minerals You Need! Read more... ×

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone! I've been on the average to thinner side most of my life. However When I was 21 I noticed my weight had really started getting out of hand and I didn't know why as I've always been really good with exercise and maintaining a healthy diet. After going back and fourth to the doctors for months they eventually sent me to an endocrinologist and discovered that my testosterone levels were through the roof , put some of my other symptoms and pieces together and eventually diagnosed me with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. Since being diagnosed, I've tried various weight loss programs and even if I succeeded in weight loss its always come back and I feel helpless. Diabetes runs heavily in my family and I'm worried about getting diabetes myself. I've been considering weight loss surgery and wanted to know if my situation is enough for me to have the lap band procedure done. I'm currently 25 weigh 200lbs and am 5'6 giving me a BMI of 31. I've read if you do not have a BMI of at least 40 they will work with you if it is at least 30 but you need to also have some sort of weight threatening disorder.Does anyone out there have a similar story to mine or had the Lap Band procedure done with a BMI under 40? Do you think I'm a good candidate for this procedure given my back round?

Thanks so much,
Taylor:1333_v_tone4::rolleyes::780_sparkling_heart::784_peace:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Firstly, that BMI is pretty low, and if you don't have co-morbidities, then you'll be hard pressed to get your insurance to cover any WLS. Secondly, the Band is on it's way out. Lots of issues, problems, etc coming up, it was over hyped, it under performs typically. You'd be better off with another surgery in my opinion. Read though all the problems people have had with the band, there are reports that are starting to be talked about that the band might cause cancer (haven't seen the reports myself, just the talk about it). I recently had mine removed.

You can totally do the pre-op diet and then follow the post-op diets without getting the surgery to see if that helps you... the whole process of WLS requires drastic changes to your eating habits and the Band and the Sleeve are both tools that are easily "worked around" if you were so inclined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a BMI of 31 is way too low to consider this type of surgery. None of these operations guarantee successful weight loss, by the way. If I had a BMI of 31 I'd go on a diet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you do your research its actually not. Is it more recommended for people with a BMI of 40 and above? Absolutely YES! However, people with weight threatening diseases like mine are okay to get the surgery of a BMI of 30 and above. Thanks for your input though!:P;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Change your life. Go with whatever you feel helps you.
Mexico will have many great options. It is not scary or dirty... they pick you up at the airport ...clinic... recovery apartment... and whisk you back to the airport🌟🌟

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, taylor2021 said:

No thank you lol

I have several friends that were sleeved in Mexico without incident. If you want the surgery you are going to have to pay out of pocket with your BMI. My comment was meant to be helpful.

If you do your research you could end up pleased with your results.

You will be hard pressed to find any insurance here that will pay for your surgery with a BMI of less than 35.

Good luck to you though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I am a future RnY but I vote for you a sleeve over those soon to be extinct lapbands and balloons. I keep voting,every election, look at the crop of buffoons we have in Congress not,to,mention the Donald. Maybe my vote didn't matter as much as I thought it did? Seems to be monkey see🙊🙉🙈monkey screw up. I distinctly remember being born in the Land of the Free where people don't tear families apart at the border. Somebody in government got some 'splaining to do.
That said, if I were important enough I would vote for you to have a sleeve, based on your strong family history of diabetes, don't be hurt,if I call you a walking time bomb because I am one Also. In addition,you,have POCS, in addition to traditional interpetation it stands for Pretty Crappy Outlook Sweetheart. And the weight loss runs a good chance of helping that. But I am only a poor well-meaning schmoe not an insurance company nor a nonofide Doctor, you have to satisfy them , not me, even though pleading me would do wonders for MY EGO. Wye sera sera, whatever will be will be!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, KimTriesRNY said:

I have several friends that were sleeved in Mexico without incident. If you want the surgery you are going to have to pay out of pocket with your BMI. My comment was meant to be helpful.

If you do your research you could end up pleased with your results.

You will be hard pressed to find any insurance here that will pay for your surgery with a BMI of less than 35.

Good luck to you though.

Hi Kim ^_^I will definitely be doing some thorough research about all my options, I understand what you are saying and I appreciate your input. I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I have any consultations so I'm prepared and ask all the right questions. I'm glad I'm getting a little glimpse of what to expect because I am a tad worried about getting turned away for my BMI from my insurance or the surgery in general. I've been getting a lot of "Lap Band is on its way out" comments and I wanted to know what your take was on your gastric bypass surgery? How was your experience with WLS? I know the sleeve is different then bypass but if I don't get the band ill get the sleeve if possible and I think the sleeve and bypass are more similar to each other then the band does to either of those options. I'm definitely going to be more open minded about the options you mentioned. Thank you for sharing with me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2018 at 3:57 AM, Matt Z said:

Firstly, that BMI is pretty low, and if you don't have co-morbidities, then you'll be hard pressed to get your insurance to cover any WLS. Secondly, the Band is on it's way out. Lots of issues, problems, etc coming up, it was over hyped, it under performs typically. You'd be better off with another surgery in my opinion. Read though all the problems people have had with the band, there are reports that are starting to be talked about that the band might cause cancer (haven't seen the reports myself, just the talk about it). I recently had mine removed.

You can totally do the pre-op diet and then follow the post-op diets without getting the surgery to see if that helps you... the whole process of WLS requires drastic changes to your eating habits and the Band and the Sleeve are both tools that are easily "worked around" if you were so inclined.

Hi Matt! I appreciate your input and will definitely reconsider all of my options. That said, you mentioned you just had your band removed. I wanted to ask about your experience with the band if you don't mind. The cost, recovery time, how comfortable it was, and the results you got from it and what ultimately made you remove it and go with another option. Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

I am a future RnY but I vote for you a sleeve over those soon to be extinct lapbands and balloons. I keep voting,every election, look at the crop of buffoons we have in Congress not,to,mention the Donald. Maybe my vote didn't matter as much as I thought it did? Seems to be monkey see🙊🙉🙈monkey screw up. I distinctly remember being born in the Land of the Free where people don't tear families apart at the border. Somebody in government got some 'splaining to do.
That said, if I were important enough I would vote for you to have a sleeve, based on your strong family history of diabetes, don't be hurt,if I call you a walking time bomb because I am one Also. In addition,you,have POCS, in addition to traditional interpetation it stands for Pretty Crappy Outlook Sweetheart. And the weight loss runs a good chance of helping that. But I am only a poor well-meaning schmoe not an insurance company nor a nonofide Doctor, you have to satisfy them , not me, even though pleading me would do wonders for MY EGO. Wye sera sera, whatever will be will be!

lol you're funny. I appreciate your input. I'm definitely starting to look into the sleeve more, as I've been getting a lot of negative feedback about the band. The surgery just scares me a little... but, you're right it will help me down the line with my health which is why I'm considering WLS in the first place. PCOS has made it VERY difficult to lose weight and I fear of not being able to have children as PCOS causes a high percentage of infertility. These hormone problems have given me A LOT of negative side effects and I desperately want to reverse them and with PCOS a woman has a 70 percent higher chance of getting diabetes and I'm sure its higher for me because of my family history. Thank you for responding to my post:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taylor, you don't want to listen, which is fine, as the choice is yours. But all these operations - band sleeve whatever - are extreme last resorts. If you wish to go under the knife for an extreme operation when you are only just in the overweight category, then that is your choice. The definition of obesity is controversial, as people with BMis in the 25-30 range live longer, and it seems the 25 cut-off point is only chosen because it looks good - and not because it is actually healthier. So you are only just over that. By the way, if you're 5ft6 and weigh 200lbs, that is a BMI of 32, not 31. If you are 5ft5 as you say in your profile, that is a BMI of 33.

If you devoted the money to spending a month in a residential weight loss spa, you would probably be 185lbs or less at the end of the month - and would have spent less money. There are plenty of people who have had these operations who regret them (google "gastric sleeve regrets" for plenty of hits).

You are nowhere near desperate levels of obesity. You don't seem to want to listen though - so do what you want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Awkward customer said:

Taylor, you don't want to listen, which is fine, as the choice is yours. But all these operations - band sleeve whatever - are extreme last resorts. If you wish to go under the knife for an extreme operation when you are only just in the overweight category, then that is your choice. The definition of obesity is controversial, as people with BMis in the 25-30 range live longer, and it seems the 25 cut-off point is only chosen because it looks good - and not because it is actually healthier. So you are only just over that. By the way, if you're 5ft6 and weigh 200lbs, that is a BMI of 32, not 31. If you are 5ft5 as you say in your profile, that is a BMI of 33.

If you devoted the money to spending a month in a residential weight loss spa, you would probably be 185lbs or less at the end of the month - and would have spent less money. There are plenty of people who have had these operations who regret them (google "gastric sleeve regrets" for plenty of hits).

You are nowhere near desperate levels of obesity. You don't seem to want to listen though - so do what you want.

You're right. It is ultimately my choice, and I don't have to listen to anyone. No one knows my situation quite like I do. Thanks for the advice!!!!!:P

Take care!:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, taylor2021 said:

You're right. It is ultimately my choice, and I don't have to listen to anyone. No one knows my situation quite like I do. Thanks for the advice!!!!!:P

Take care!:lol:

Are you playing the clown? You asked for advice on a forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Featured Surgeons

    1. Masoud Rezvani

      Woodbridge, Virginia 22191

    2. Lisa Medvetz

      Downingtown, Pennsylvania 19335
      800-282-0066

  • Recent Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • SleeveinIL

      I'm struggling a little. My younger sister wants to go out to a buffet for Thanksgiving so no one has to cook and stress. While I appreciate her sentiment, I also don't want to pay $65 a head (4 ppl in my family) especially since I can't eat much AND buffets are so difficult to deal with overeating. I told my sister after thinking about it that buffets aren't okay for me. She seemed to understand, but was disappointed. Am I being selfish by not going along with the plan? I purchased a turkey to cook and I can make sides that are bariatric friendly. Sigh, this one is bothering me. I might be emotionally low right now because my dog passed away recently and that is contributing to my thinking.
      · 3 replies
      1. FluffyChix

        Sorry about your pup. That's a real grief you need to allow yourself to express.

        So $65 for each person is hefty. We couldn't afford that for TG for 4. But buffets don't freak me. I wouldn't even pay--just sneak a bite or two off a plate here or there. No biggie. But doing a restaurant or keeping food simple is also what works for most.

        Sorry you're having a tough time about the upcoming holiday. Remember, our joy will mostly be with being with those we love.

      2. Orchids&Dragons

        So sorry about the dog. It is so hard when they pass.

        Yes, that $65 is super steep. You'd really be paying $260 for 3 people to eat and you to watch. Yikes! And I'm sure they wouldn't let you in without paying. Maybe just beg your sis to put it off until next year when you might be able to enjoy it too? I mean, honestly, you've already got the darn turkey. You're still a work in progress and you sure don't want to throw up in the restaurant. Maybe thinking about it that way will help your sister understand. By next Thanksgiving, you'll be far more sure of what you can handle and what you can't.

        Good luck.

      3. CrankyMagpie

        Losing a pet is terrible, and it's OK to be sad. ❤️

        Taking care of yourself is also OK--better than OK!--and if you're offering to cook, that means your sister doesn't have to cook or stress, which is kind of what she was after, anyway? So you don't need to feel bad about this.

        I can definitely imagine going to a buffet again, even though I don't eat much, but we're talking, like $10 Indian lunch buffet, not $65 (holy crap) Thanksgiving buffet! And I'll probably always favor non-buffets, since not eating part of my meal immediately just means I get to enjoy it later on (or my spouse does). It feels like less pressure, or something.

        Anyway, I'm babbling. I think you're doing the right thing, here. I hope your sister is cool about it.

    • danieocean

      Stuck in a stall, been 237 for a few days. Sucks! But good news, I no longer fit in a 2XL leggings or shirts. Back to XL in shirts and leggings!!!  WOO!
      · 1 reply
      1. Orchids&Dragons

        Feels great, doesn't it? Congrats! And track those measurements! I'd rather see inches disappear than pounds any day!

    • GreenTealael

      Snow.
      · 3 replies
      1. Kay07

        yup I have snow incoming too... followed by freezing rain. Oh joy!

      2. AggiG

        Yep same thing here. Where are you at?

      3. GreenTealael

        NYC

    • Kay07

      Oh my goodness... I am no longer obese. Holy freaking cow. I feel like this needs a celebration this weekend
      · 5 replies
      1. FluffyChix

        Yay!!!!! So happy for you!!

      2. GreenTealael

        🎉 Congrats 🎉

      3. Orchids&Dragons

        Isn't that just the best feeling ever!!! Congrats!

      4. KimTriesRNY

        That’s awesome! 💥

      5. Kay07

        Thank you all! It's a FANTASTIC feeling. I've still a long way to go, but I am truly loving every second of this journey!

    • Jazzy1125

      One Week Post Op today! I feel great and almost walking back to normal. I have learned in this short week to not drink your dinner protein shake at a constant sipping. I spent 30 min the last two nights trying to release the pressure in my chest. Lesson Learned! I am back down to Surgery Date Weight as of this morning, actually half a pound less. Now to look forward to actual losses LOL. I guess i had a lot of gas and liquids that are taking time to leave my body. Its all good, it will be gone eventually! I have no regrets, and take each day as it comes and look forward to the next stage next Thursday, and getting my stitches out on Tuesday.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Trending Topics

  • Magazine Articles

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×