Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone! I've been on the average to thinner side most of my life. However When I was 21 I noticed my weight had really started getting out of hand and I didn't know why as I've always been really good with exercise and maintaining a healthy diet. After going back and fourth to the doctors for months they eventually sent me to an endocrinologist and discovered that my testosterone levels were through the roof , put some of my other symptoms and pieces together and eventually diagnosed me with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. Since being diagnosed, I've tried various weight loss programs and even if I succeeded in weight loss its always come back and I feel helpless. Diabetes runs heavily in my family and I'm worried about getting diabetes myself. I've been considering weight loss surgery and wanted to know if my situation is enough for me to have the lap band procedure done. I'm currently 25 weigh 200lbs and am 5'6 giving me a BMI of 31. I've read if you do not have a BMI of at least 40 they will work with you if it is at least 30 but you need to also have some sort of weight threatening disorder.Does anyone out there have a similar story to mine or had the Lap Band procedure done with a BMI under 40? Do you think I'm a good candidate for this procedure given my back round?

Thanks so much,
Taylor:1333_v_tone4::rolleyes::780_sparkling_heart::784_peace:

Firstly, that BMI is pretty low, and if you don't have co-morbidities, then you'll be hard pressed to get your insurance to cover any WLS. Secondly, the Band is on it's way out. Lots of issues, problems, etc coming up, it was over hyped, it under performs typically. You'd be better off with another surgery in my opinion. Read though all the problems people have had with the band, there are reports that are starting to be talked about that the band might cause cancer (haven't seen the reports myself, just the talk about it). I recently had mine removed.

You can totally do the pre-op diet and then follow the post-op diets without getting the surgery to see if that helps you... the whole process of WLS requires drastic changes to your eating habits and the Band and the Sleeve are both tools that are easily "worked around" if you were so inclined.

I think a BMI of 31 is way too low to consider this type of surgery. None of these operations guarantee successful weight loss, by the way. If I had a BMI of 31 I'd go on a diet.

If you do your research its actually not. Is it more recommended for people with a BMI of 40 and above? Absolutely YES! However, people with weight threatening diseases like mine are okay to get the surgery of a BMI of 30 and above. Thanks for your input though!:P;)

Change your life. Go with whatever you feel helps you.
Mexico will have many great options. It is not scary or dirty... they pick you up at the airport ...clinic... recovery apartment... and whisk you back to the airport🌟🌟

16 hours ago, taylor2021 said:

No thank you lol

I have several friends that were sleeved in Mexico without incident. If you want the surgery you are going to have to pay out of pocket with your BMI. My comment was meant to be helpful.

If you do your research you could end up pleased with your results.

You will be hard pressed to find any insurance here that will pay for your surgery with a BMI of less than 35.

Good luck to you though.

I am a future RnY but I vote for you a sleeve over those soon to be extinct lapbands and balloons. I keep voting,every election, look at the crop of buffoons we have in Congress not,to,mention the Donald. Maybe my vote didn't matter as much as I thought it did? Seems to be monkey see🙊🙉🙈monkey screw up. I distinctly remember being born in the Land of the Free where people don't tear families apart at the border. Somebody in government got some 'splaining to do.
That said, if I were important enough I would vote for you to have a sleeve, based on your strong family history of diabetes, don't be hurt,if I call you a walking time bomb because I am one Also. In addition,you,have POCS, in addition to traditional interpetation it stands for Pretty Crappy Outlook Sweetheart. And the weight loss runs a good chance of helping that. But I am only a poor well-meaning schmoe not an insurance company nor a nonofide Doctor, you have to satisfy them , not me, even though pleading me would do wonders for MY EGO. Wye sera sera, whatever will be will be!

6 hours ago, KimTriesRNY said:

I have several friends that were sleeved in Mexico without incident. If you want the surgery you are going to have to pay out of pocket with your BMI. My comment was meant to be helpful.

If you do your research you could end up pleased with your results.

You will be hard pressed to find any insurance here that will pay for your surgery with a BMI of less than 35.

Good luck to you though.

Hi Kim ^_^I will definitely be doing some thorough research about all my options, I understand what you are saying and I appreciate your input. I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I have any consultations so I'm prepared and ask all the right questions. I'm glad I'm getting a little glimpse of what to expect because I am a tad worried about getting turned away for my BMI from my insurance or the surgery in general. I've been getting a lot of "Lap Band is on its way out" comments and I wanted to know what your take was on your gastric bypass surgery? How was your experience with WLS? I know the sleeve is different then bypass but if I don't get the band ill get the sleeve if possible and I think the sleeve and bypass are more similar to each other then the band does to either of those options. I'm definitely going to be more open minded about the options you mentioned. Thank you for sharing with me!

On 6/27/2018 at 3:57 AM, Matt Z said:

Firstly, that BMI is pretty low, and if you don't have co-morbidities, then you'll be hard pressed to get your insurance to cover any WLS. Secondly, the Band is on it's way out. Lots of issues, problems, etc coming up, it was over hyped, it under performs typically. You'd be better off with another surgery in my opinion. Read though all the problems people have had with the band, there are reports that are starting to be talked about that the band might cause cancer (haven't seen the reports myself, just the talk about it). I recently had mine removed.

You can totally do the pre-op diet and then follow the post-op diets without getting the surgery to see if that helps you... the whole process of WLS requires drastic changes to your eating habits and the Band and the Sleeve are both tools that are easily "worked around" if you were so inclined.

Hi Matt! I appreciate your input and will definitely reconsider all of my options. That said, you mentioned you just had your band removed. I wanted to ask about your experience with the band if you don't mind. The cost, recovery time, how comfortable it was, and the results you got from it and what ultimately made you remove it and go with another option. Thank you!

6 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

I am a future RnY but I vote for you a sleeve over those soon to be extinct lapbands and balloons. I keep voting,every election, look at the crop of buffoons we have in Congress not,to,mention the Donald. Maybe my vote didn't matter as much as I thought it did? Seems to be monkey see🙊🙉🙈monkey screw up. I distinctly remember being born in the Land of the Free where people don't tear families apart at the border. Somebody in government got some 'splaining to do.
That said, if I were important enough I would vote for you to have a sleeve, based on your strong family history of diabetes, don't be hurt,if I call you a walking time bomb because I am one Also. In addition,you,have POCS, in addition to traditional interpetation it stands for Pretty Crappy Outlook Sweetheart. And the weight loss runs a good chance of helping that. But I am only a poor well-meaning schmoe not an insurance company nor a nonofide Doctor, you have to satisfy them , not me, even though pleading me would do wonders for MY EGO. Wye sera sera, whatever will be will be!

lol you're funny. I appreciate your input. I'm definitely starting to look into the sleeve more, as I've been getting a lot of negative feedback about the band. The surgery just scares me a little... but, you're right it will help me down the line with my health which is why I'm considering WLS in the first place. PCOS has made it VERY difficult to lose weight and I fear of not being able to have children as PCOS causes a high percentage of infertility. These hormone problems have given me A LOT of negative side effects and I desperately want to reverse them and with PCOS a woman has a 70 percent higher chance of getting diabetes and I'm sure its higher for me because of my family history. Thank you for responding to my post:)

Taylor, you don't want to listen, which is fine, as the choice is yours. But all these operations - band sleeve whatever - are extreme last resorts. If you wish to go under the knife for an extreme operation when you are only just in the overweight category, then that is your choice. The definition of obesity is controversial, as people with BMis in the 25-30 range live longer, and it seems the 25 cut-off point is only chosen because it looks good - and not because it is actually healthier. So you are only just over that. By the way, if you're 5ft6 and weigh 200lbs, that is a BMI of 32, not 31. If you are 5ft5 as you say in your profile, that is a BMI of 33.

If you devoted the money to spending a month in a residential weight loss spa, you would probably be 185lbs or less at the end of the month - and would have spent less money. There are plenty of people who have had these operations who regret them (google "gastric sleeve regrets" for plenty of hits).

You are nowhere near desperate levels of obesity. You don't seem to want to listen though - so do what you want.

9 hours ago, Awkward customer said:

Taylor, you don't want to listen, which is fine, as the choice is yours. But all these operations - band sleeve whatever - are extreme last resorts. If you wish to go under the knife for an extreme operation when you are only just in the overweight category, then that is your choice. The definition of obesity is controversial, as people with BMis in the 25-30 range live longer, and it seems the 25 cut-off point is only chosen because it looks good - and not because it is actually healthier. So you are only just over that. By the way, if you're 5ft6 and weigh 200lbs, that is a BMI of 32, not 31. If you are 5ft5 as you say in your profile, that is a BMI of 33.

If you devoted the money to spending a month in a residential weight loss spa, you would probably be 185lbs or less at the end of the month - and would have spent less money. There are plenty of people who have had these operations who regret them (google "gastric sleeve regrets" for plenty of hits).

You are nowhere near desperate levels of obesity. You don't seem to want to listen though - so do what you want.

You're right. It is ultimately my choice, and I don't have to listen to anyone. No one knows my situation quite like I do. Thanks for the advice!!!!!:P

Take care!:lol:

3 hours ago, taylor2021 said:

You're right. It is ultimately my choice, and I don't have to listen to anyone. No one knows my situation quite like I do. Thanks for the advice!!!!!:P

Take care!:lol:

Are you playing the clown? You asked for advice on a forum.