Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
On 6/27/2018 at 8:16 PM, taylor2021 said:

people with weight threatening diseases like mine are okay to get the surgery of a BMI of 30 and above.

Bottom line: Very few (if any) insurance companies will cover you.

The place to start is pretty simple....call your insurance company, give them your rider number and ask what they require to cover bariatric surgery. They'll send you a list in writing if you ask. You probably can access the specifics on their website if you look. I would start there.

You might be able to get someone to do it if you self pay. Even then, few doctors will go below a bmi of 35 unless you're throwing at least pre-diabetic A1C numbers. PCOD with no other comorbidities won't cut it.

Best wishes.

PS, my gastric sleeve (with an unexpected haital hernia repair) cost over 60 thousand dollars in the US.

PSS.... here's a chart of what lap band costs in different states: https://www.obesitycoverage.com/insurance-and-costs/how-much/average-lap-band-prices

Edited by Creekimp13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Awkward customer said:

Please stop your accusations. You are the one in the wrong here. You are the one being rude. While it is true that I don't know you -- for which I am thankful -- one can form a view based on forum posts. If you ask a public question, you don't have the right to respond in a rude fashion when you don't like the advice. Please stop the aggression immediately.

hahahah go away then!!!!

I'm bored of this.

BYE :lol::P:rolleyes::D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How old are you Taylor? You appear quite young.

Some one mentioned epigastric sleeve with stitches I had never hear of that, perhaps its another name for an endoscopic sleeve gastroplastry. This is the procedure I will undertaking in October. While people with much higher BMIs have had the procedure it is ideal for those with lower BMIs. Some people have complained about not getting enough restriction. Some doctors don't seem to be restricting enough of the stomach or use fairly loose stitching. For others, the stitches have not held for some reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, taylor2021 said:

hahahah go away then!!!!

I'm bored of this.

BYE :lol::P:rolleyes::D

This is not a playground, and for the most part people are quite civil it doesn't do you any justice to act childish, act like the adult you presumably are and people will respond to you as an adult.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2shea said:

This is not a playground, and for the most part people are quite civil it doesn't do you any justice to act childish, act like the adult you presumably are and people will respond to you as an adult.

Yes, I agree and sure can't have a civil conversation with an angry irrational human being. I'm done and that conversation is done for that matter so we don't need to talk about it anymore 2shea. Negative things are better left in the past don't you think?

I'm done^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Midwest Girl said:

I have the lap band and I would not recommend it. Go to the lap band forums and you will see all types of complications. You might consider the sleeve.

I've been hearing a lot of that lately. I'm considering other options thank you for sharing that with me(:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gundy said:

Hi Taylor,

You mentioned that diabetes runs in you family. Being pre-diabetic or glucose intolerant are considered a comorbidity by some insurance companies. Issues such as sleep apnea, heart disease, high cholesterol, etc are also comorbidities. Unfortunately, even with two comorbidities most insurance companies will only approve WLS with BMI of 35 or more. My comordities were described as mild on the insurance papers and my BMI was just over 35 at the start of the process.

In my limited opinion, it would be difficult for insurance to cover WLS with a starting BMI of just 31.


Yeah, I can definitely see that happening, all I can do is hope for the best! I'll find some sort of solution :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

Bottom line: Very few (if any) insurance companies will cover you.

The place to start is pretty simple....call your insurance company, give them your rider number and ask what they require to cover bariatric surgery. They'll send you a list in writing if you ask. You probably can access the specifics on their website if you look. I would start there.

You might be able to get someone to do it if you self pay. Even then, few doctors will go below a bmi of 35 unless you're throwing at least pre-diabetic A1C numbers. PCOD with no other comorbidities won't cut it.

Best wishes.

PS, my gastric sleeve (with an unexpected haital hernia repair) cost over 60 thousand dollars in the US.

PSS.... here's a chart of what lap band costs in different states: https://www.obesitycoverage.com/insurance-and-costs/how-much/average-lap-band-prices

Wow! you're awesome thank you for this(: Well, it's gonna be an adventure and I'm sure i'll encounter some bumps along the road but all I can do is keep researching and hope for the best. Thank you for all the insight, I really appreciate it :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rainbows&Unicorns said:

Thanks for the early birthday wishes, Taylor😄. I live in Alabama and my doctor is Jay Long at http://www.bmisurgery.com/jay-c-long.html. He is a phenomenal doctor who listens to my concerns. He has been absolutely wonderful.

I’m 5’4 and weighed 178 prior to surgery. Dr. Long has me on 5 prescriptions right now for nausea, acid reflux, ulcers, blood clots and pain. I should finish all meds within the next 2 weeks. I am quite lucky and never had major surgery. I have not been nauseated and have no issues with the clear liquid diet (water, Crystal Light, broth and jello). I start the liquid diet tomorrow. The pain hasn’t been too bad either. I have my Fitbit and make sure I’m walking a little bit every hour and I think that has helped. When I start my liquid diet tomorrow and can go back to the Protein Shakes I plan on getting back on the tradmill and walk for 30 minutes a day. I have strictly followed all pre-op and post-op diets. Fingers crossed alll continues to go well. My first follow-up appointment is 7/12. If you have any other questions please feel free to reach out. I will be happy to help.

The main reason I chose the lap band was because it was less invasive and not as permanent as the other surgeries. However, I think I would have chosen the other surgeries if my BMI was much higher. I did my research but was unaware of the new reversible sleeve at John Hopkins. That definitely sounds like another option you can research.

So far so good here😄

That's awesome! I'm glad your recovery is coming along well. That makes me so happy to hear, I'm hoping I can find a good surgeon out here in Los Angeles so lets hope for the best!:D Good luck on starting your liquid diet! I will be definitely be asking you more questions if I can think of any lol Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
When I saw my surgeon the first time my BMI was 36 when I went in for surgery it was 31. I was sleeved on 5/29 my BMI now is 29. I feel I work hard and weight loss is not like others. I had mine done on a Army installation and my surgeon was stunned at my size at follow up. I reminded him I lost about 30 pounds prior to surgery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My weight goes up and down do to autoimmune and they will not do it with low BMI without other health conditions I have really bad High blood pressure I did even when I weighed 170 FYI I way 200 now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Awkward customer said:

Please stop your accusations. You are the one in the wrong here. You are the one being rude. While it is true that I don't know you -- for which I am thankful -- one can form a view based on forum posts. If you ask a public question, you don't have the right to respond in a rude fashion when you don't like the advice. Please stop the aggression immediately.

Dude... I can see why you have a negative reputation rating now. You know what's wrong, getting mad at someone that's not doing exactly what you say, good intentions or not, you are not only being rude and aggressive, you are being childish and unsupportive. What's worse is that you can't even see how negative you really are. I feel bad for you actually. So delusioned that you think someone else is wrong because you are being controlling. You need some help bro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I too just had my lap band removed and now have a sleeve. That was over a decade of Band Hell I could have done without.
I would never recommend a Band. Many Doctors will no longer do them, mine included.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Matt Z said:

Dude... I can see why you have a negative reputation rating now. You know what's wrong, getting mad at someone that's not doing exactly what you say, good intentions or not, you are not only being rude and aggressive, you are being childish and unsupportive. What's worse is that you can't even see how negative you really are. I feel bad for you actually. So delusioned that you think someone else is wrong because you are being controlling. You need some help bro.

It's always amazing on forums when a dispute has finished its course, there is always someone who seeks to breathe new life into it.

Taylor is the one at fault. I merely gave her well-intentioned advice, and got the aggressive "thanks but no thanks" reply each time. I'm not being controlling: I've said that the decision is hers.

I think now you've had the irreversible sleeve, you are seeking to "campaign for it". I guess it is working for you. But there are likely to be many people who will regret the operation (Google "gastric sleeve regrets"), so I'm not sure how well-intentioned your advice is if you're encouraging someone with a BMI of 31 to have a gastric sleeve.

In the end, someone who has asked for advice has no right to respond aggressively when it's not the advice she wants. But one option has always been not to reply to posts/posters she doesn't wish to enter a discussion with.

Edited by Awkward customer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×