Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone else’s doctor tell them a pre-op diet is not necessary?

6 hours ago, blondechic said:

My pre-op diet was 7 days with only liquids, Jello and broth. I'm on my 4th day. It's been hard but it seems to be getting better. I've lost 5 pounds. 3 more days to go then surgery!

You can do it! One fun thing that my mom taught me many. many years ago when I was not feeling well. What she would do is to make a two or three different flavor batches of Jello and put them in a square or rectangular cake pan. After they have set, cut them into little cubes and serve all of the flavors at once. This way you have both a flavor and a color difference in your small portion-control container. My favorite combination was strawberry and lime. You could do this too with the ready-made jello cups. Just combine more than one flavor into your container.

My surgery is scheduled for the 10th. Been on pre Surg diet of two shakes and one Protein rich meal for two weeks pre op and clears day before.

9 hours ago, Letsgetgoing2018 said:

My surgery is scheduled for the 10th. Been on pre Surg diet of two shakes and one Protein rich meal for two weeks pre op and clears day before.

How's that been going for you so far?

Good luck with your surgery!

I had my operation 7/3/18. I was not required to have a special diet prior to surgery. I was self-pay. My lab work came back normal/in good health. They also notified me I did not have to take the Magnesium Citrate Oral Solution.

However, I chose to replace some of my meals with Soups and liquids a few days prior, and follow as close to a clear liquid diet as I could to mentally prepare myself for the time to come. I had a big burger meal the day before, and then had the magnesium drink and cleared everything. Drank plenty of Water and everything went swell :)

And how are you feeling now? No regrets or sorrow rearing their their hrads up? Sir wish you the best of everything.❤😛❤

Frustr8 — nope! I’m very itchy around my port sites, and I’ve had pain when drinking cool Water occasionally, but there is no physical urge to consume. I’m getting pretty bored with all this liquid though! I would love something different hahaha. I’ve already lost about 8.5 lbs in 5 days.

No liquid diet with my dr either just loose 15lbs before surgery

My doctor doesn't require it. He told me they have no way to verify whether we follow one or not, so they don't bother. He said eat as I normally would, just don't go crazy.

@blondechic OMG. According to your profile page, your surgery is today, July 10th!!

Best of luck to you. Let us know how everything turns out, how you feel, etc.:)

It's actually tomorrow the 11th! A little nervous but I'm ready! Never thought I could go so long without food. My will power is somewhat lacking but this has really strengthened me. Life changing 😌

@Missouri-Lee's Summit thank you! I'm from MO too!

My surgeon said I didn’t need to lose any weight before surgery. His rationale was that if I could successfully lose weight then I wouldn’t be considering surgery in the first place so he feels all the added pressure and stress caused by dieting isn’t a productive use of time.

He just told me to start practicing for the post-op way of life.

@Ylime The pre-surgery liquid diet is NOT THE SAME as the liquid diet that's required after surgery. The pre-surgery diet is high in Protein and supplies your body with minimal carbohydrates. This puts your body in ketosis. Ketosis enables your body to utilize the fat stores around your liver and spleen as an energy source. This leads to the shrinkage of the liver and quick weight loss. The shrinkage also allows for easier access in the abdomen during the procedure.

It wouldn't hurt to try the diet for a few days. I'm surprised by the number of people who aren't required to follow this diet. The reasoning behind it makes a lot of sense. Why not try it?

So my surgeon requires 3 weeks of no starches. I’m doing 6 surgery is officially 5 weeks away. I’m allowed food up until 48 hrs before surgery then it’s Clear Liquids. But honestly for those of you who have to do any type of extended liquids my hat goes off to you I am not that strong and I would infact cut someone

To update all of you on what my plans are. On 7/17/18. I received my diet plan from my surgeon and his office. Mine says Ohio State University Bariatric Liver shrinking diet. Second line says suitable for females weighinging less than 400 pounds- well I don't weigh quite that much but if I hadn't started a bariatric program I could have been there. Third line is a disclaimer-that this diet should not be used for casual dieting but only under medical supervision. Then it goes on to say it is inadequate in calories, Vitamins and minerals for daily use. Hunnnh?
Never the less, OSU gives you a choice of 2, 3 , or 4 weeks on it. The 2 weeks is okay, but they recommend 4 and spell out why.
Quicker Healing,
Maximum Liver Shrinkage
Smoother Surgery
Less nausea and Vomiting
Well that sounds cool, think I'll opt for that, at 72 I need all the perks I can get.
Breakfast: 1 high Protein Shake , with above 10% Protein, below 10% carbs below 10% fat below 200 calories, brand is your choice, but they give several option
snack, 1 fruit must be small apple, orange or banana. 3/4 cup unsweetened berries may be substituted. lunch vegetable salad , 2 T low calorie or fat free dressing No eggs, nuts, meats or cheese & 1 Meal Replacement shake
Snack 1 meal replacement shake
dinner Frozen Entree dinner
must be under 300 calories and under 30 grams fats- then they give suggested brands to choose from
or you may substitute 3 oz meat
(this can be chicken, Turkey fish,or lean pork) and 1 cup non starchy vegetables- no corn, peas or potatoes
64 oz or above of no calorie no caffeine drinks or water
So you go bibbety Babbitt booing along until the last day before then it's Clear Liquids, that evening before you go NPO, You drink a special bottle of clear goodies made by Abbott Labratories, located in , guess, Columbus Ohio. I smell a kick-back here but what the hey, I'm Game!
Then before you leave home so a least an hour before your arrival you drink another bottle of this magic elixir. So you may break your NPO dry out for this and this alone. And this is what your humble correspondent will do to prepare for her magic REBIRTHDAY September 5th 2018. 👈👼👉