Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Summer 2018 Surgery Buddies: POST-OP Discussion

@Mel86 ME!!! I was sleeved on 7/31 and stalled for 10 days from 8/15 to 8/25. This week, I've only lost .8 lbs. But, I'm staying on my plan. I have lost 28 lbs since pre-surgery and 21 since surgery. I'm trying not to get down about not loosing more because I have never ever lost 21 lbs in 5 weeks. I know more weight loss is coming.

Hello Dear Bari Brothers and Sisters! Ellie123 is back!!!! I am have finally been released from the hospital and am back home. Thank you so so SOOOOO much for all the well wishes and prayers you sent my way during my scary ordeal!!! You all are so supportive and awesome!

Here is what happened:

On Sunday, (11 days post RNY op), I had half a Core Power Protein Drink and a cup of fish broth with about a tablespoon of avocado blended in for texture and a little bit more substance. Still not sure if these food items were related but shortly thereafter I started to have horrid stomach pain in the general area above my belly button. It would tighten painfully then release and got progressively worse. I began to pace, hoping it was gas and will pass. I paced for 3 hours straight and it was only getting worse. I took some hydrocodone and felt a little better but 3 hours later the meds wore off and I was in bad pain. Called the doc on call and was told to go straight to the bariatric ER. There they gave me contrast, by now the pain was almost unbearable...I began to shake all over. Felt like a horrible Gallbladder attack (I used to have those before it was removed, so I know...). The CT Scan revealed a partial obstruction in the small bowl and swelling. I was put on IV, protonics, anti nausea meds, nothing by mouth and pain meds, but I continued to feel awful. through out the night I was violently vomiting, blacking in and out and ....well lets just say in that terrible horrible state none of us ever wants to be in...

They let is ran it's course and yesterday it finally let up. More imaging revealed that nothing by mouth for a few days helped and my body seems to have resolved the obstruction. they slowly introduced Clear Liquids back, and finally sent me home back to a clear liquid diet. That specific hospital is owned by Dr. Alexander but totally out of network for my insurance. Glad to be alive, but dreading the bill for this setback...

Anyhow, sending you all HUGE love and thanks for your support and prayers. I'm exhausted and a bit bummed about the ordeal, but grateful this did not happen during one of my trips abroad where no one would have known what to do!

Hope everyone is doing great.

Welcome back @ellie123! We were all worried about you. Sorry you had to go through all that but glad you're on the mend now. Hugs!

On 09/05/2018 at 12:36, ellie123 said:

Hello Dear Bari Brothers and Sisters! Ellie123 is back!!!! I am have finally been released from the hospital and am back home. Thank you so so SOOOOO much for all the well wishes and prayers you sent my way during my scary ordeal!!! You all are so supportive and awesome!

Here is what happened:

On Sunday, (11 days post RNY op), I had half a Core Power Protein Drink and a cup of fish broth with about a tablespoon of avocado blended in for texture and a little bit more substance. Still not sure if these food items were related but shortly thereafter I started to have horrid stomach pain in the general area above my belly button. It would tighten painfully then release and got progressively worse. I began to pace, hoping it was gas and will pass. I paced for 3 hours straight and it was only getting worse. I took some hydrocodone and felt a little better but 3 hours later the meds wore off and I was in bad pain. Called the doc on call and was told to go straight to the bariatric ER. There they gave me contrast, by now the pain was almost unbearable...I began to shake all over. Felt like a horrible Gallbladder attack (I used to have those before it was removed, so I know...). The CT Scan revealed a partial obstruction in the small bowl and swelling. I was put on IV, protonics, anti nausea meds, nothing by mouth and pain meds, but I continued to feel awful. through out the night I was violently vomiting, blacking in and out and ....well lets just say in that terrible horrible state none of us ever wants to be in...

They let is ran it's course and yesterday it finally let up. More imaging revealed that nothing by mouth for a few days helped and my body seems to have resolved the obstruction. they slowly introduced Clear Liquids back, and finally sent me home back to a clear liquid diet. That specific hospital is owned by Dr. Alexander but totally out of network for my insurance. Glad to be alive, but dreading the bill for this setback...

Anyhow, sending you all HUGE love and thanks for your support and prayers. I'm exhausted and a bit bummed about the ordeal, but grateful this did not happen during one of my trips abroad where no one would have known what to do!

Hope everyone is doing great.

I’m so glad that you are okay but so sorry you had to go through this. Praying for your speedy recovery and no more setbacks!

Hi Everyone, I had my surgery Aug. 3rd. I am still not able to eat at least a tiny portion of anything. But the good thing is that I lost 35lbs so far. I think I am at a stall. I go to 177 and then back to 180 in one day. I am having problems getting my Protein in. I don't think Water is a problem. I am drinking lots of water. Today I tried the premiere shake banana Cream. It isn't bad but after half, I am done with it.

IMG_6617[1].JPG

Welcome back @ellie123 I’m glad you’re doing better!! So just got out of my 2 week apt! Finally got my jp drain out 😆it felt weird 😵 and was cleared for soft foods!! He said I have to chew them to a pulp lol. But yay!!

4 minutes ago, Megan Sadler said:

Welcome back @ellie123 I’m glad you’re doing better!! So just got out of my 2 week apt! Finally got my jp drain out 😆it felt weird 😵 and was cleared for soft foods!! He said I have to chew them to a pulp lol. But yay!!

Yay! So excited that you get to use those mandibles again!!! I can't wait to join you... my two weeks is today too, but per plan, it will be a while before I can have soft foods :( Next week I should be cleared for full liquids and that phase lasts another 3 weeks!!!! WOA? Then pureed foods and then soft. I think he makes the opening extra small or something but given what I just went through, I think I'll be too scared to progress any quicker.

I wonder if the Portabella pizza you hyave been describing can be considered soft food? ? hmmm.... :) Let us know how your first soft food goes...I'm going to eat vicariously through you!

49 minutes ago, photogirl70 said:

@Mel86 ME!!! I was sleeved on 7/31 and stalled for 10 days from 8/15 to 8/25. This week, I've only lost .8 lbs. But, I'm staying on my plan. I have lost 28 lbs since pre-surgery and 21 since surgery. I'm trying not to get down about not loosing more because I have never ever lost 21 lbs in 5 weeks. I know more weight loss is coming.

I really think the post surgery pre food period is the hardest...you've not lost a ton of weight yet and you're not exactly full on the liquids and you're not sure if or how you'll experience satiety in the future and you're still healing and not feeling too good and learning what your body can and cannot do...the physical surgery is behind us and now we have to do surgery on our minds to adjust to this new lifestyle and be okay with it.

Hang in there, indeed it is a marathon and not a race, and you are doing fabulously.

3 minutes ago, ellie123 said:

I really think the post surgery pre food period is the hardest...you've not lost a ton of weight yet and you're not exactly full on the liquids and you're not sure if or how you'll experience satiety in the future and you're still healing and not feeling too good and learning what your body can and cannot do...the physical surgery is behind us and now we have to do surgery on our minds to adjust to this new lifestyle and be okay with it.

Hang in there, indeed it is a marathon and not a race, and you are doing fabulously.

Thanks! My diet following surgery seemed pretty liberal compared to most! I was approved for eggs and soft foods after 1 week. At week 3 and 4, I was allowed ground/shredded meats and well cooked veggies along with any soft foods. I'm please that I'm loosing weight and able to eat. At this point, 5 weeks 1 day out, I'm able to eat pretty much anything but I have a good guideline of foods to avoid, daily Protein goals, daily calorie ranges, and volume/amount of food per meal. I'm pleased that I'm able to eat and enjoy food as well as pleased to see progress while I'm working on my "mind surgery". I know this is what is best for me and I will make it work. Smart choices are still important because there is a snack pack of Nutella in the pantry and at this point, it doesn't call my name at all.

(Glad to see you are doing better. I just got caught up on your scary experience!)

@ellie123 glad you are on the mend!

Has anyone heard how @Frustr8ed made out? I’ve been thinking of her all morning!

5 minutes ago, insta_adventurer said:

Has anyone heard how @Frustr8ed made out? I’ve been thinking of her all morning!

5 minutes ago, insta_adventurer said:

Just heard from her son! Hallelujah @Frustr8 made it through and is resting!!!

On 09/05/2018 at 15:00, ellie123 said:

09/05/2018 02:53 PM, insta_adventurer said:

Just heard from her son! Hallelujah @Frustr8 made it through and is resting!!!

Glad to hear she is doing well! I know she is excited about her kangaroo pouch!

On 09/05/2018 at 00:41, saygrace said:

so i’m not sure if this is actually dumping or if i’m just paranoid but i feel like crap. i tried Enlightened ice cream tonight (4 net carbs, 3g of sugar) and i have been going to the bathroom nonstop since and i have a killer Headache. send help 😩😩
Maybe you’re now lactose intolerant? I don’t know. I had some Enlightened ice cream and didn’t have any issues. I hope you feel better soon

On 09/05/2018 at 15:05, ALFxRNY said:

Maybe you’re now lactose intolerant? I don’t know. I had some Enlightened ice cream and didn’t have any issues. I hope you feel better soon
god i hope not 😂 i’ve tolerated milk and cheese just fine, but i am like 2 weeks behind you so maybe i’ll try again and be okay! i’ve also been insanely stressed out and that’s how my body usually reacts so i’m sure it could be anything