Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Summer 2018 Surgery Buddies: POST-OP Discussion

Have any of you tried thrive market?? I’m looking into this option. I’m also going to make some changes to my families diet. Part of me is saying to just quit dominos and drive Uber because I know I can make a killing doing it and give me more time to be with my kids and family and work in work outs on my schedule. But idk.

One of my tiny incisions started to pull apart a bit. Yesterday at my follow up she put a bandaid on it. Today when I changed the bandaid I think I saw a little pus. There's a chance it was just antibiotic ointment but I called the dr anyway. My PA is on call and she's calling the doctor now to see how to proceed.

If the incision is infected what should I expect? Will they have to clean it out? What do they do other than antibiotics?

Edited by ChellNC

On 08/31/2018 at 17:36, ellie123 said:

Help. 9 days post op rny and I’m starving!!!! Can’t stand optisource and Clear Liquids, I don’t know how I can do another 12 days of this before progressing! I want to feel satisfied. With healthy food, not even bad stuff! I’m just depleted. Why why why do post op diets vary so much!??? Anyone else on 3 weeks clear liquids???? When could you eat and what did you start with?

Hangry.

3 weeks Clear Liquids? I was off clear liquids on day 2.

On 08/31/2018 at 08:57, J San said:

At what stage should we allow the good fats like avocado? They are one of my favorite foods but I've been avoiding them because of the high carb and fat content. Half a small Haas is 4g of cargs, 6.6g of fat and .9g or Protein. I know in normal diets it's not much but for us is that alot? Wish they had more Protein, I could eat them all the time.

I’m 10 days out and using guac to flavor my Beans.

My Nut has a goal of 800-1200 cal per day. And MyFitnessPal keeps yelling at me to hit 1000. I’m perfectly happy to target 1000/day.

On 09/01/2018 at 18:29, Vizslamom said:

My Nut has a goal of 800-1200 cal per day. And MyFitnessPal keeps yelling at me to hit 1000. I’m perfectly happy to target 1000/day.
So does the exercise subtract from calories and then that equals the actual calories consumed or is it the calories in general that equals total for example if i have 300 calories and i do 100 exercise do i have 200 calories or still 300

14 minutes ago, mercmerc said:

So does the exercise subtract from calories and then that equals the actual calories consumed or is it the calories in general that equals total for example if i have 300 calories and i do 100 exercise do i have 200 calories or still 300

If you have eaten 300 calories for the day, and burned 100 calories during exercise, you are now down to 200 calories consumed at the end of the day.

But I'm pretty sure that's what you just said, right?

1 hour ago, ChellNC said:

If the incision is infected what should I expect? Will they have to clean it out? What do they do other than antibiotics?

It will become red in color around the incision and probably be sore to the touch. If you just use the antibiotic ointment it will more than likely be fine. Three out of 4 of my incisions looked open when the glue and scabs came off. It was just the surface skin where the glue was holding them shut. The stitched section under the surface was already healed shut. I just put Neosporin on them through out the day and they look perfectly fine now.

I think any calories you burn working out don’t count towards your daily total. The idea is to create a deficit. Your body takes x amount of calories to run each day from breathing to making your heart beat. That’s called your metabolism. If you have a low metabolism it takes less to run. Eating provides the calories for it to run. If you eat less than you need to run it creates a deficit and you use reserves (fat) to do so. If you eat more you store the extra. When you excercise you need extra calories for that time. So if you need say 1500 a day to run but burn 100 during a work out you need 1600 to run. If you’re only taking in 1000 calories you pull that 600 left from fat to run. 5 days of that and you lose a pound because 3000 calories is a pound. Make sense??

With RNY the idea is to lower the amount you eat and also not absorb everything that you do eat so that your caloric intake is super low causing massive weight loss.

Hmmm... I think I get it. If I need 1500 a day to run and I only consume 300 and burn 100 in exercise than my body is burning 1300 of stored fat?

I hope I didn't just confuse the ish out of anyone but myself there.

Thanks @J San. Since I've reacted to the glue all of my incisions have red rings around them. Yesterday they took off as much glue as they could without hurting me or causing any damage. Nothing is ever easy with my body.

Yea that’s the idea.

On 09/01/2018 at 17:32, mercmerc said:

Making it too hard. Just calories. I am expected to exercise 30 minutes a day too.

There’s a book I read a while back called good calories bad calories by Gary Taubes. It’s a good read. Also 100 days of real food by Lisa Leake, pretty intense by Danica Patrick, The Paleo Diet by Loren Cordain, Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo, The Paleo Cure (formerly Your Personal Paleo Code) by Chris Kresser, The Paleo Approach by Sarah Ballantyne, The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf, the whole 30 by Melissa Heartwig, it starts with food by Melissa heartwig and food freedom forever by Melissa heartwig.

Sorry long list but totally good reads and super educational in the food department