Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Summer 2018 Surgery Buddies: POST-OP Discussion

5 hours ago, sleevedlove said:
On 8/16/2018 at 3:26 PM, Letsgetgoing2018 said:

Hi there. I know the depression and anxiety. It’s a major surgery we just went through. It gets better. Six weeks out now and it’s getting better. Hang in there and these boards are great.

I am also six weeks out, almost 7. What are you eating? Seems like everything I eat my stomach hurts. Nausea, headaches. Etc.

Hi there. I am mainly eating chicken and fish. I ,too get nauseous and my stomach hurts after eating. Not so much headaches.

On 08/19/2018 at 8:00 PM ,PTARMT said:

I was having a lot of fatigue up until 3 weeks out when I saw the Dr and dietician for my follow up. They both agreed that it was due to insufficient Protein consumption (and too few calories) and Water intake. They told me to increase my Protein grams up to 40-50+ grams a day and not to worry about the calorie level. I am now getting around 500 calories and 40 grams of protein. I feel like a new person!

Wow that is rather scary, isn't it? You have your surgery, hop8ng it will solve those,probl3ms you were having and instead a whole new can of worms got,opened. Hope things smooth out soon!

Sleeve is Wednesday-day after tomorrow! Getting excited/scared. Love all the info you all share, really helps to learn from your experiences. Thanks to all👍🙏🏻.

Ellie checking in, Sleeve to RNY the day after tomorrow!!!! Yickes!!!

I was told by my doctor that sometimes the upset stomach is because people go too slow on the trying one new food a day thing ? I just think all of our doctors have a different way of wanting g us to take it /healing . I’m 4 weeks Tuesday & can eat chicken and other meats very well without a stomach upset

Question for you all. In the first two weeks post surgery, did anyone not crush up their pills?

I have both the hospital meds and my own personal meds to take. Crushing them up without food is absolutely disgusting. I cut them up into tiny pieces in the hospital and swallow them with no problem but the nurse said I may not absorb those as well.

I definitely need to absorb my seizure meds as well as possible.

Difficulty taking medication has definitely been the big unpleasant surprise of this surgery. I got a sleeve on July 3. I also take a couple of antidepressants and it’s still a struggle to take them every day. They make me feel so nauseous that I can barely force myself to take them. Sometimes I can’t. One of the meds comes in liquid form and that doesn’t help. My stomach just can’t tolerate it. I’m hoping this passes.

If I take one capsule at a time on a full stomach, and the planets are aligned correctly, it can be not too bad, but most of the time ...

Also- what happens if you do eat a solid food? Like what does it do to your stomach?
Need to know why so I don’t do it!!

Hope everyone is healing well and feeling better!

When I ate things that were “too advanced” for me, I got severe stomach spasms that calmed down if I stopped eating that food. Some nausea as well.

so today i thought i would try a new shake recipe- vanilla shake blended with ice and OJ. it was delicious- however it’s now 20 min later and i can’t get the acidic feeling out of my throat. i def need a tum... are those allowed? anyone else have this issue?

On 08/21/2018 at 05:42, bubba bee said:

Thank you for adding me . I’m 3 weeks post RNY. Only lost 9 lbs so far . Is it not working?? Advice please
I think every body is different, the firs two weeks I lost 20 and the third nothing.. I gained a pound then I lost it and this is my fourth week and I haven't loss.. maybe uping my Protein will help! And water! And eating normally ( 3-4 hours). And exercise now.

Also remember that you’re pumped so full of fluids and other stuff at the hospital that even if you’ve lost ‘only’ net nine pounds, you also lost probably multiple pounds of all that hospital weight. Bodies also heal differently and hold on to weight differently!

Sometimes I find it helpful to multiply. If you’re averaging three pounds a week, that’s 12 pounds in a month. Even adding in a stall that would mean by Christmas you’d be 50 lbs down. That’d be amazing!

Also, ask your NUT and team! Do they have my chart/medical messaging? When’s your next follow up?