Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Summer 2018 Surgery Buddies: POST-OP Discussion

@GeminiSky my first few days were about the same. I remember thinking how dumb I was for having the surgery because I could be eating steak and potatoes with the family instead of licking an ice pop. That passed though and honestly I don’t really want food. I’m on full liquids and it hurts so bad to swallow anything, I’m ready to go back to Clear Liquids. I think I’m just still really swollen and sore so I don’t know when it won’t hurt to eat again. I hope it’s soon though. I’ve had people tell me it can take 3 weeks for it to feel better. I feel really fortunate with my incisions because those are healing nicely and not sore anymore, really it’s just all inside now. I had a good day yesterday and thought all was well, then today I could hardly sit up with out my stomach hurting. Sometimes I feel like there’s an air bubble moving around in there and it’ll get close to my chest, that’s when it’s the worst. I hope you don’t have to deal with that.
Also I am new to this site, I signed up a few days after my surgery, so I don’t really know how to use it or tag you. Hope you see this.

Congratulations on your surgery! I am sorry you having difficulty with swallowing. It will get easier. I did not have any issues with swallowing. My issue has been to remember to sip. I get so thirsty sometimes I just want to chug it down. I am in my 2nd week and the pain has gone down, but I think I walked too much yesterday and moved around too much today that the pain flared back up some. Had to take my pain meds. I am better now, but I guess I need to slow it down a little. I am just real tired and sleepy. Let me know how you are doing.

1 week and 1 day out! How do I get added??

I believe the creator of this post will automatically add you. Hello Neighbor and welcome @skylw6

Edited by J San

Omg this post is TMI but for others who can understand: I FINALLY had a BM on day 4 postop. I had to strain a little which made me nervous but I feel like 10 pounds lighter and so much less uncomfortable!! Phewwwwwww!!

I was horribly constipated several days post op. It was excruciating and my belly felt so full. Good for you. Start taking something every day like Miralax.

26 minutes ago, Herewego2018 said:

Omg this post is TMI but for others who can understand: I FINALLY had a BM on day 4 postop. I had to strain a little which made me nervous but I feel like 10 pounds lighter and so much less uncomfortable!! Phewwwwwww!!

I'm so glad you posted this! I'm also 4 days postop and haven't had a BM yet. I've passed gas a good bit but I decided I would take one of the stool softners this morning and see how that goes.

I have a question. This morning 2nd day on phase 4 which allows me to eat meat, I tried ground beef. My wife made fresh burgers last night for dinner with an 80/20 mix and I took 1oz of one of the patties. I ate about 1/4 of it and done. Couldn't eat any more, I was too full. After about 35 minutes after I took a small sip of Water then went for a second. I didn't swallow it because I had that tightness in my chest suddenly build up really strong. Then kicked in the nausea. 1st time since surgery I had to vomit. Silly and it probably doesn't matter but when this happens do you track that as a meal? Does any of it get into your system in that amount of time?

On 08/03/2018 at 12:21, J San said:

I have a question. This morning 2nd day on phase 4 which allows me to eat meat, I tried ground beef. My wife made fresh burgers last night for dinner with an 80/20 mix and I took 1oz of one of the patties. I ate about 1/4 of it and done. Couldn't eat any more, I was too full. After about 35 minutes after I took a small sip of Water then went for a second. I didn't swallow it because I had that tightness in my chest suddenly build up really strong. Then kicked in the nausea. 1st time since surgery I had to vomit. Silly and it probably doesn't matter but when this happens do you track that as a meal? Does any of it get into your system in that amount of time?

Well for one, I was told to only use the leanest ground beef prior to surgery, but post op, I was told not to eat any ground beef because it is too tough for my new pouch to digest. I’m back on a full diet and I still haven’t bothered it because I was instructed not to. I’m sorry you went through that. Maybe it was too much for your new tummy

Go figure, It's part of my approved list. Believe me I will be avoiding it from here out. I'm just glad this happened this far out. I had nausea for 2 days after surgery and then it went away. Never had problems since until today with anything. I can't imagine the pain you guys that can't hold some things down early on must go through. Luckily I had no pain and it came up pretty easy. My next meal for today will be a trusty old shake.

On 08/03/2018 at 12:45, J San said:

Go figure, It's part of my approved list. Believe me I will be avoiding it from here out. I'm just glad this happened this far out. I had nausea for 2 days after surgery and then it went away. Never had problems since until today with anything. I can't imagine the pain you guys that can't hold some things down early on must go through. Luckily I had no pain and it came up pretty easy. My next meal for today will be a trusty old shake.

It’s weird that steak and other forms of beef are on my okay list, just not ground beef. And I can’t imagine what it’s like for people going through this early on either. I experienced nausea and a phantom vomit session a few hours after surgery but I didn’t get nauseous again until the day I was discharged and they gave me something for it. Never experienced nausea again after that. 5 weeks post op and I handle most of the foods on my okay list well. I love ground beef but I’m afraid to even take a chance on it, lol. Conflicting info from my nutritionist and my surgeon’s office. And you definitely can’t go wrong with a shake

On 08/03/2018 at 12:21, J San said:

I had this happen with some chicken a few days ago. I think I just ate too much or too fast. I’ve been taking it easy since and only eating really soft purees/things and Soups.< br />
I removed the chicken from my tracker, because I was pretty sure every bit came back up. lol

I totally understand how you feel herewego2018! I was Post Op Day 5 before I finally had a BW! I was so relieved and felt a lot better afterwards.

I want to eat soooo baddddddd like Im at Walmart right now & just dying to eat some mash potatoes or some tuna!! I can't wait to be on the pureed honestly.. this full liquid is making me sick of not being able to eat 😭😭😭😭